• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Garand Megathread

It’s good for 3 years:

CMP revised the purchase forms and streamlined procedures for repeat customers. If you complete a new Universal Purchaser Certification and Agreement to buy a rifle from the CMP, signed before a Notary Public, you may for a period of three (3) years thereafter submit an application to purchase additional rifles, parts or ammunition without having the Purchaser Certification and Agreement notarized – provided that the “SHIP TO” address on the order form remains exactly the same.
Thanks, that 2 was a typo. Yep, it's 3.

They are working 4/5 orders today. Just got an email for another 2A form even though they said in July I was good to go. Was in the mail 30 mins after getting the email.

Another comment for the premature clip ejection-

Especially if a new stock, check the cut-out in the stock where the clip latch should clear. If it interferes with the clip latch you will need to clean up the cut-out. Usually not a problem with old stocks but something else to check.

PyUX7aZ.jpg
CQFi6ii.jpg
Got a new Clip Latch & Hvy Duty Spring, Op Rod Spring & Follower rod from Fulton Armory - it cured partial clip ejection - It loads/works better than it ever did now!
Fulton Armory :)

Well if you ever find your way up to Glosta I'll hook you up with some;). I just sold some to ridleyman this afternoon. $180 for 200 rounds of HXP in a 30 cal can.
you need to come do some hunting down this way, !
You know i might be up that way for a day trip. Theres a seafood shack up around that way my wife likes

Well, I got all of my CMP paperwork completed today and am ready to mail it off. Hopefully within a week or so I'll be able to start spending some of my hard-earned money on more toys.

I'm happy to spend money when it comes to buying a classic, all steel and wood, historical piece like a Garand. I love the history, the feel, the big .30-06 rounds (compared to the .22, .45, and 5.56 that I shoot), and even shooting it!

Give me a Garand or an older 1911 any day over something plastic, not that I don't have a little plastic in my collection.

Last edited:
Well if you ever find your way up to Glosta I'll hook you up with some;). I just sold some to ridleyman this afternoon. $180 for 200 rounds of HXP in a 30 cal can.
I still have a few cans of HXP floating around. I bought a bunch of them years ago but now that I have enough 30-06 brass to last about 35 years I think I've only shot it once or twice, I'm always shooting reloads now.

I still have a few cans of HXP floating around. I bought a bunch of them years ago but now that I have enough 30-06 brass to last about 35 years I think I've only shot it once or twice, I'm always shooting reloads now.
I run hxp through my as from cmp rifles, plinking fodder or like last year to lazy to load so I ran HXP all season.

I run hxp through my as from cmp rifles, plinking fodder or like last year to lazy to load so I ran HXP all season.
The last CMP match I did a few years ago I shot HXP as I had only been reloading for a few months and did not trust my reloads quite yet in a competitive setting at a distance I don't often get to shoot. So, despite being aware of the mythical HXP flyer, I took my chances. I believe I shot a 96 on the slow prone at that match which is the best I've ever done.

Similar to you, I'll shoot HXP if I'm on short notice and didn't have time to load a batch. The majority of my "normal" reloads use bulk bullets so they aren't anything special to begin with.

I do have a bunch of corrosive Israeli surplus, but I'll shoot that through the M1917 on a day where I have the time to thoroughly clean it afterwards.

I shot my service grade M1 on Tuesday, Hornady 150s over the last of my Shooter's World Match Rifle powder. I usually prefer 168s, though.

Hows the match rifle powder?
kicking myself for not buying a little inventory when it was around and “cheap”

Hows the match rifle powder?
kicking myself for not buying a little inventory when it was around and “cheap”
Works well enough. I got 4 lbs of different ones when it was $99 for 4 lbs and free hazmat and shipping. The only real downer is not a lot of load data for it. My kingdom for some modestly priced Varget, though.

The shooters world precision is supposed to be very similar to Varget. I have some, but it maybe a while until I try it.

you can steam dents out, if it’s a gouge that cut the wood fiber, you can soften it to it’s not as obvious but it will always show some damage.

any cartouche marks on the stock?
I haven’t had time to to spend going over it well. Probably this weekend. I do know the butt is “dirty” ..meaning the wood feels tacky. There is also some tape residue that I need to remove. Any suggestions on cleaning the wood?

I haven’t had time to to spend going over it well. Probably this weekend. I do know the butt is “dirty” ..meaning the wood feels tacky. There is also some tape residue that I need to remove. Any suggestions on cleaning the wood?

I bought two, one had a 1944/45 stock, that one I just lightly cleaned with some simple green. I was light on it because I wanted to keep the character it had and only remove the loose dirt and grease. Second one had a finished replacement stock, no cartouche or marks. There were plenty of dents, scratches etc. I steamed out all the dent, cleaned and sanded that one, the refined it completely

how you clean it is based on what you want and the history of the stock. If it’s a WW2 or other with cartouche marks etc I’d try to lightly clean it and keep it as original looking as possible

The shooters world precision is supposed to be very similar to Varget. I have some, but it maybe a while until I try it.
Yeah, I got a lb of that, Match Rifle, Clean Shot (pistol powder) and one other, I think "Tactical."

They've shot pretty equal to other powders that I usually use.

you can steam dents out, if it’s a gouge that cut the wood fiber, you can soften it to it’s not as obvious but it will always show some damage.

any cartouche marks on the stock?
I don’t know if it a cartouche or an inspectors mark. Two initials in a square.
BB2C1EE5-FCBC-4503-BF6C-3EAB14756527.jpeg

View attachment 512102

I’m no expert but probably this. RIA EB

spacer.gif
spacer.gif

EB:Elmer Bjerke was promoted on January 6th, 1947 to Forman of small arms inspection at Rock Island Arsenal. He was responsible for the final inspection of new and overhauled small arms. He served in that capacity until 1958. All small arms inspected under his supervision bear the markings "RIA" for Rock Island Arsenal and "EB" for Elmer Bjerke.
View attachment 512102

View attachment 512102

spacer.gif
spacer.gif

EB:Elmer Bjerke was promoted on January 6th, 1947 to Forman of small arms inspection at Rock Island Arsenal. He was responsible for the final inspection of new and overhauled small arms. He served in that capacity until 1958. All small arms inspected under his supervision bear the markings "RIA" for Rock Island Arsenal and "EB" for Elmer Bjerke.

So at least we know at min that stock went through the RIA depot between 1947 and 1958

spacer.gif
spacer.gif

So at least we know at min that stock went through the RIA depot between 1947 and 1958

Back
Top Bottom