• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Garand Megathread

Sold my WIN13 with original barrel/op rod last week.

I’ve gone from 8 Garands down to 4. I have one from each receiver mfr, but my Springfield is my CMP ‘match’ rifle with Krieger barrel built by the fastest spaghetti slinger east of the Mississippi.

My Winchester is my backup match rifle with an as new SA barrel and all parts from 65 Anniston Armory rebuild.

My IHC is correct and from a block of receivers actually built by Springfield, and my H&R is also correct.

I’m OUT, lol...no more Garands!

4 Garands, 4 M14’s/M1A’s, but only 3 1903/A1/A3 Springfields...looks like I need a NM or a Mark 1 next 🤣

Not much interest in another M1917...I love my corrected Winchester too much to make it sit in the safe next to another/lesser mfr. Finally got it to where I only have to aim 1’ below the x ring to stay in the black...the front sight blade is so tall I had to jam it through the ears to get it in, but now it’s much more fun to shoot without having to aim for the berm to hit the paper.
enjoy those good eyes, I Miss using a center hold

I’m actually not allowed to use a center hold any more without facing scrutiny from Franco. The 6 o clock hold has actually been working out rather well though and I’m getting used to it/adjusting my rifles sights to match.
I prefer a center hold , problem is the Rx correction to see the front sight has made the aiming black a bit harder to see.
Put it this way...even 3 years ago the black looked big and I could put the front sight ip into the center, now that black dot looks small and it almost vanishes as I bring the front post up to it.
You go with what gives you better scores period.
I like wide front sights and center hold when I can pull it off.

I'm curious, what are your folks' cleaning habits with the Garand?

I did a quick cleaning, not even field strip, after every shooting session, which wasn't that often and was probably 40-50 rds of non-corrosive ammo. My cleaning was running a few patches first with Hoppes #9, then oil, then I'd brush all of the parts around the breech with oil. Finally, I'd wipe it down-entire process=~5 minutes.

I'm curious, what are your folks' cleaning habits with the Garand?

I did a quick cleaning, not even field strip, after every shooting session, which wasn't that often and was probably 40-50 rds of non-corrosive ammo. My cleaning was running a few patches first with Hoppes #9, then oil, then I'd brush all of the parts around the breech with oil. Finally, I'd wipe it down-entire process=~5 minutes.
If it did not get wet,
Wipe off finger prints , bore quick patch , dry then wet then dry then wet and leave it wet until next range trip, 2 dry patches before I shoot.

Theres plenty of grease on the sliding parts which will last a very long time. Other than that i give it a good cleaning every 500 rounds , which for some guns can take a long while.
Yearly check up on everythin g between thanks giving and new years.

2nd on grease.

Range Report is limited: Took ‘er out quick - 2nd shot was on steel at 100 (first one was high)...for the record, those were my first two shots on a Garand ever. And my first hearing of the ping. I’m hooked.

2nd on grease.

Range Report is limited: Took ‘er out quick - 2nd shot was on steel at 100 (first one was high)...for the record, those were my first two shots on a Garand ever. And my first hearing of the ping. I’m hooked.
You do know that you can get the Garand Ping as your phone's ring tone.

Order received: 11/16/20
Order processed: 2/24/21
Order shipped: 2/25/21 (Priority Overnight)
Order LOST by FEDEX: 2/26/21 (Last Scan in TN)
Call to FEDEX - should we tell ATF?: 3/3/21
Order FOUND by FEDEX: 3/6/21 (Still in TN)
Order delivered by FEDEX: 3/8/21
Sweet

Come on baby! Only 8 days behind you!
Good luck! Hope shipping is smoother than mine!
Definitely sweet now, it's an SA '54. Really frustrated with FedEx though. They want to say everything is delayed by Covid, but my experience is things at least get scanned. When I told them it was a firearm they promised a rep would call me back. Never heard from them and was about to call again when it showed tracking, not sure if first call helped any. Oh, and "adult signature required" - not exactly.

Mailed in my packet for my first Garand (service grade) yesterday. I have plenty of brass, so I'll be using the next 3 months to pick up the other reloading components. Thanks to @mac1911 and his karma that I won, I got to fire my first Garand, and now I'll get to claim one as my own.

I got a notice from Fedex about a package needing a signature coming tomorrow. Shortly thereafter, I got the email from CMP confirming delivery of the rifle arriving tomorrow
I guess the ammo comes separately. I am very surprised and excited! I sent in my paperwork in December and the order was logged in last week.

I prefer a center hold , problem is the Rx correction to see the front sight has made the aiming black a bit harder to see.
Put it this way...even 3 years ago the black looked big and I could put the front sight ip into the center, now that black dot looks small and it almost vanishes as I bring the front post up to it.
You go with what gives you better scores period.
I like wide front sights and center hold when I can pull it off.
I use 6 o’clock hold with my 1917 Enfield. With 160 grain hand loads it’s all in the black at 200 yards . . .But I had to get a replacement (taller) front sight . . . 0.075” I think.

I got a notice from Fedex about a package needing a signature coming tomorrow. Shortly thereafter, I got the email from CMP confirming delivery of the rifle arriving tomorrow
I guess the ammo comes separately. I am very surprised and excited! I sent in my paperwork in December and the order was logged in last week.
What did you order? Mine went in November and logged in Feb 24

I use 6 o’clock hold with my 1917 Enfield. With 160 grain hand loads it’s all in the black at 200 yards . . .But I had to get a replacement (taller) front sight . . . 0.075” I think.

You guys must both be using the battle sight instead of using the ladder sight. I have NO trouble using a 6 o'clock hold with either of my 1917s using the ladder sight adjusted properly. No extra tall front sight required.

You guys must both be using the battle sight instead of using the ladder sight. I have NO trouble using a 6 o'clock hold with either of my 1917s using the ladder sight adjusted properly. No extra tall front sight required.
Yes I was using the ladder actually. I thought the battle sight was calibrated for like 300 or 400 yards?

Really depends on the front sight.
The only surplus rifle I ever bought that shot poa/poi right from box was my k31 spot on at 200 yards.
If you buy a surplus rifle someone was shooting cast out if and adjusted front sight
To zero their cast loads , M2 ball is going to shoot high.
You have to do what is needed for it to shoot where you like. I know a few guys with 1917s that use the battle sight and change front sight for 200 yard zero , thats what they use it for. 200 yard cmp
I dont think there is a huge difference in zero on the 1917 Battle sight or ladder sight. Both would be in the point blank range area ?
The ladder also can get nocked over if you shoot with a hat.
I dont own a 1917 and shot one enough to not want one. Just does not fit me well. So no good for shooting

Last edited:
Got it!
It's an H&R receiver from 1953, serial #4,663,xxx. Perhaps it saw action in Korea or Vietnam.
The case is awesome, solidly built, not to mention the rifle itself! I haven't received the ammo yet.

Does anybody know what's the significance of the marking on the side of the stock?

Attachments

• garand1.jpg
    garand1.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 40
  • garand2.jpg
    garand2.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 42
  • garand3.jpg
    garand3.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 40
Got it!
It's an H&R receiver from 1953, serial #4,663,xxx. Perhaps it saw action in Korea or Vietnam.
The case is awesome, solidly built, not to mention the rifle itself! I haven't received the ammo yet.

Does anybody know what's the significance of the marking on the side of the stock?

defense acceptance stamp. So probably original stock few HRAs would have been in Korean War

Got it!

Typical late production cartouche
Heres some info

Theres another website just on stock cartouches but I fear its gone because its not coming up ?

Last edited:
Got it!

That means it was inspected and passed as a complete rifle when it left the factory. It may not be the original stock for that rifle, but whatever rifle was in that stock left the factory as a complete functional Garand.

Yes I was using the ladder actually. I thought the battle sight was calibrated for like 300 or 400 yards?

I think the battle sight is about 300 yards. When I first shot my Eddystone, I didn't know to flip up the ladder so it was shooting ridiculously high @ 50yds. Once I discovered the problem, I adjusted the peep all the way down on the ladder and adjusted from there to get the zero I wanted for the hold & distance I used.

Back
Top Bottom