M1 Garand Megathread

What is the issue with during normal 30-06 through it? I used to shoot anything from GI surplus to 200gr through mine. Accuracy wasn’t great with some, but was fine with most.

I just didn’t care for mine no matter how much I wanted to like it, so I no longer have one, and never will again. But I’m curious about the ammo thing.
its not the bullet weight or the chamber pressure its the gas volume and pressure that reaches the gas port. If the powder is to fast not enough gas pressure and volume get to the gas port. if the powder is to slow to much gas volume and pressure get to the gas port...that extra volume and pressure has no where to go but into the gas piston.

one of the smartest gun guys I know said its not the "slamming" of the op rod that bends it but rather the chamber pressure has not lowered enough before the op rod begins to move.
the problem these days is op rods are expensive now. He says when He was shooting the M1 at Perry you could by op rods by the handful often for as low as $10 each when they where plentiful.
I also know a old timer who ran 220 grain bullets in his M1 whenb they could use their own ammo.

Again , I have not come across much of any 30-06 that is cheaper than the M1 "safe" options so I dont understand why you shoot anything else ?

As I understand it, regular 30-06 fires at higher pressures. The higher pressure forces the op rod back harder than it was designed for, causing it to bend. Someone more knowledgeable than me can probably explain it much better and much more technically..
And, the bolt hits the back of the receiver on each cycling. It’s best to use the adjustable gas plug for any ammo other then Garand-specific ammo. And if you buy a Garand, your children, and your children’s children, will thank you!

Eric Claypool at GarandGear has an excellent explanation of the impact of using commercial .30-06 ammo instead of M2 Ball (or its equivalent). His bottom line is that higher pressure ammo in itself might not hurt your op rod, but if it is combined with any binding or poor lubrication, it may bend it.

m1-garand-ammunition

If want more than just putting holes in paper, Get the gas plug.........Just because they are Battle rifles does not mean you can't have a good time with them.......
They still use and find hunting rounds for the 303 Enfield the 7.62x54r Mosen,1903 Springfield and the the 98 Mouser for hunting around the world.........

If want more than just putting holes in paper, Get the gas plug.........Just because they are Battle rifles does not mean you can't have a good time with them.......
They still use and find hunting rounds for the 303 Enfield the 7.62x54r Mosen,1903 Springfield and the the 98 Mouser for hunting around the world.........
Years ago my dads friends PA hunting rifle was a M1 with the gas plug valve removed.
Now a single shot. He also had a 4 or 5 round clip that was non removable unless you pulled the trigger group out.
I have that clip somewhere. My dad got a few boxes of stuff when his friend passed. The guns where long gone.

I've read that modern 30 06 or heavy bullet weights can create pressure in excess of what the rifle was designed for. This can damage the operating rod, they do make adjustable gas plugs for the use of non USGI loads
As I understand it, regular 30-06 fires at higher pressures. The higher pressure forces the op rod back harder than it was designed for, causing it to bend. Someone more knowledgeable than me can probably explain it much better and much more technically..

Wha?

Just because they are Battle rifles does not mean you can't have a good time with them.......
4r4p6w.jpg

Yeah M1 safe ammo has really shot up in price. TSUSA had the 500 round ammo cans of PPU for like $350 up until recently. It's now up to $476 plus tax and OOS.
When I was at Cabelas last weekend they had a bunch of PPU Garand ammo for $17.99 per box...With tax, basically $1 per round.
I bought a ammo can of 500 PPU from Target for 320.00 in March from Target, I guess I got a Bargain at 0.60 each. Then I torn my left tendon in half and can't walk for the last 4 months.

the-crack-shots-in-position-dollymount-creedmoor-wimbledon-1870.jpg
1413188873360.jpg
you use your legs to shoot?

obviously kidding...feel better dude.
1. it is hard walking 100 yards and back to post a Target in a cast and now a Air boot, plus my wife wouldn't really like to do position # 2 naked, it might distract me and any other shooters at the club!

Happy St. John Cantius Day on Wednesday! (you-know-who is named after him)

FYI:

Sent in paperwork on 10/10/2020, email tonight, 12/22/2020, says my order was received on 10/20/2020, and is now received and verified.

YMMV

I saw some M2 Ball ammo in original sealed metal containers from 1981 on them this morning. 250 rounds for $200 bucks. I guess that is .80 cents? What is the CMP pricing currently?

What do I need to do if I want to increase my order to 2 Garands instead of one? My order hasn't even been logged in yet, however.
you can try and call cmp and make them aware of the miztake on your order
Or drop in another order now, who knows by the time you get the first the second one will be right behind it?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom