• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Garand Megathread

Thanks guys. I received my order from AmmoGarand last week. He processed the order within 10 minutes of receiving it. Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions and offers for clips. I love being a part of this community. I will probably be looking for more help in the coming months when I finally move to NH. 😁

So in the world of M2 ball ammo how would you rate the various manufacturers best to worse? I would assume LC at the top, no?
Its hard to say some lots where better than others across manufactures , not to mention some M2 can be 70 ish years old
I have not shot alot of different years and manufactures my bulk experience is with HXP 68.69 and 77 have been some of my best scores, HXP 72 HMO clips where problematic, ammo was soso.
I have a little saying HXP a flyer in every box /bandoleer
For new production replicating M2ball hands down PPU

Garand safe ammo Federal GMM 168gn - to expensive though

dont dwell on ammo so much M2 standards are not very High neither is the standard for the M1- hold the black of a SR 1 and your doing good, get down to 10 ring tour doing really good.

yeah I know they can do better but average , no
Take a CMP service grade and some 50 year old M2 and put up a SR target and report back.

Its hard to say some lots where better than others across manufactures , not to mention some M2 can be 70 ish years old
I have not shot alot of different years and manufactures my bulk experience is with HXP 68.69 and 77 have been some of my best scores, HXP 72 HMO clips where problematic, ammo was soso.
I have a little saying HXP a flyer in every box /bandoleer
For new production replicating M2ball hands down PPU

Garand safe ammo Federal GMM 168gn - to expensive though

dont dwell on ammo so much M2 standards are not very High neither is the standard for the M1- hold the black of a SR 1 and your doing good, get down to 10 ring tour doing really good.

yeah I know they can do better but average , no
Take a CMP service grade and some 50 year old M2 and put up a SR target and report back.
The one I got is a CMP special grade with new stock and Criterion barrel on a 1952 receiver

The one I got is a CMP special grade with new stock and Criterion barrel on a 1952 receiver
New barrel and stock helps , now take some 50 year old HXP or even the newest surplus M2 ball tou can find Zero your rifle and with what ever position/rest/sled shooter you want to use put 16 rounds into a SR1 at 100 yards and see how it does
All in the black-is good
More in the 10 ring better
All 10s and Xs - you should be planning a trip to the cmp games if you can find the time

HA!

Got the call today (minor issue with my paperwork). CC hit today. Waiting on shipping confirmation.

(Again, sent on 10/10/20 and marked received on 10/20/20)

When I started shooting the Garand in competition (1984), we were issued LC69 ammo in the clips and bandoliers. I have been reloading for 30+ years now. I saved all the LC ammo. Reload, you will be better off, after the initial expense of reloading equipment, you will save money in the long run. I load light, down from max loads in the reloading manual. Less wear on the rifle, and my shoulder! Along the way I picked up some M72 Match ammo in the white box. ( It is a 173 grain bullet, and shoots well. But the M72 Match ammo has more value on the collectors market). When reloading using GI brass, it is recommended a power charge of 1.5 grains less than the book due to the thicker GI case. I use a Lapua 170 grain btfmj with good results, but this bullet has gone way up in price the last few years.
Most competitors use ARs now a days. I am one of the last dinosaurs who still shows up to matches with an M1. It is a pleasure to shoot.

When I started shooting the Garand in competition (1984), we were issued LC69 ammo in the clips and bandoliers. I have been reloading for 30+ years now. I saved all the LC ammo. Reload, you will be better off, after the initial expense of reloading equipment, you will save money in the long run. I load light, down from max loads in the reloading manual. Less wear on the rifle, and my shoulder! Along the way I picked up some M72 Match ammo in the white box. ( It is a 173 grain bullet, and shoots well. But the M72 Match ammo has more value on the collectors market). When reloading using GI brass, it is recommended a power charge of 1.5 grains less than the book due to the thicker GI case. I use a Lapua 170 grain btfmj with good results, but this bullet has gone way up in price the last few years.
Most competitors use ARs now a days. I am one of the last dinosaurs who still shows up to matches with an M1. It is a pleasure to shoot.
if your shooting CMP games now its only 200 yards so theres a ton of bullets to use from 110s-175s and like you say you can load to the light side of data. Its actually a bit of a surprise how the M1 will cycle on "weak" ammo.
I can run cast loads at around 1900 fps and get full function but I loose accuracy around that point.
155s-168s on sale is what I will use.
Although those 125-135s loaded on the light side are real pleasant to shoot. Im just not finding them in bulk at a decent price

Back
Top Bottom