M1 Garand Megathread

Picked these up locally today for $200 each. I can't even remember the last time I shot my Garand, this should last me 10 years.

View attachment 428953
That's interesting. I've had those same spam cans of HXP, but they have always been on the 8rd enblocs in bandoleers. 192 rds. Where these are on 5rd clips, does that mean the Greeks had a bunch of 1903 Springfields?

That's interesting. I've had those same spam cans of HXP, but they have always been on the 8rd enblocs in bandoleers. 192 rds. Where these are on 5rd clips, does that mean the Greeks had a bunch of 1903 Springfields?

They did, CMP sold them years ago. Typically electropenciled the last 4 of the SN on the bolt. I have an 03a3 that’s a Greek return. I never noticed those Spam cans either though.

Hah, I didn't even notice that it's 5rds. Oh well, I have plenty enblocs.

My understanding is that the CMP is in the process of going through about 99,000 repatriated Garands (about 86,000 from the Philippines and 13,000 from Turkey). I’ not sure what percentage of these are in good enough condition to be sold. South Korea has about 80,000 Garands and 600,000 M1 Carbines that the CMP hopes to be able to get their hands on in the future.

They will list the rifles as “Sold Out” on their web site when all their inventory is committed. A long as it’s listed as available (it will have a price) you can order it and you should be guaranteed delivery.

Basically all of those guns will be sold, unless the receiver is so worn dimensionally that it can't be re-used, which rarely if ever is the case. Worse case, they strip it down, reparkerize everything, rebuild op rod, add new barrel and new stock. These are the M1 specials, and they are great shooters.

thats not the stuff hes looking for.
he wants this stuff, it was a fricken bargain at the time.
Not there apparently.

Yep, that's the stuff- Lapua brass + Lapua scenar projectiles. And no, they seem to be out.

It most definitely was a hell of a deal when they had it. I've been running that brass for years and just segregated a batch for practice only- mostly because of damage to the brass from M1's chewing up the rims and people stepping on it. Lapua brass is very consistent and lasts much longer than LC. I've split necks and seen stress rings above the case head after fewer cycles running LC brass. I think the HXP is pretty tough stuff too, but it is not quite as dimensionally consistent as is the Lapua. For whatever reason, I find that the Lapua requires trimming much less vs. LC and HTP brass.

I use the 308 version of this ammo and subsequently the brass in my 308 Garand and M1. The 308 version has basically identical accuracy vs. my very carefully loaded match hand loads with 155 TMK's. Just bought a couple cases and may buy more to keep stocking up. Wish they still had the .30-06 so I didn't have to buy new Lapua bra$$. :(

Can't remember if new ammo or Lapua brass reloads, but here's a couple of my postal match entries shot at 100 yards from the bench. .30-06 and .308, respectively. Both 100-7X if I recall correctly:

XLqYAnM.jpg

Yep, that's the stuff- Lapua brass + Lapua scenar projectiles. And no, they seem to be out.

It most definitely was a hell of a deal when they had it. I've been running that brass for years and just segregated a batch for practice only- mostly because of damage to the brass from M1's chewing up the rims and people stepping on it. Lapua brass is very consistent and lasts much longer than LC. I've split necks and seen stress rings above the case head after fewer cycles running LC brass. I think the HXP is pretty tough stuff too, but it is not quite as dimensionally consistent as is the Lapua. For whatever reason, I find that the Lapua requires trimming much less vs. LC and HTP brass.

I use the 308 version of this ammo and subsequently the brass in my 308 Garand and M1. The 308 version has basically identical accuracy vs. my very carefully loaded match hand loads with 155 TMK's. Just bought a couple cases and may buy more to keep stocking up. Wish they still had the .30-06 so I didn't have to buy new Lapua bra$$. :(

Can't remember if new ammo or Lapua brass reloads, but here's a couple of my postal match entries shot at 100 yards from the bench. .30-06 and .308, respectively. Both 100-7X if I recall correctly:

XLqYAnM.jpg
Beautiful Rifles all. Nice shooting as well.

So, I have a conundrum. I have to wait months for my Garand to come, and I'm thinking about upping my order to 2 of them, but I have the itch.

Last Thursday I bought a Charter Arms Pathfinder from Patriot Arms in Ipswich, but sadly the pawl or hand which advances the cylinder broke after less than 100 rds yesterday. The shop has always been courteous and responsible, so hopefully they will either give me a new, functional one, and deal with CA themselves, or return my money. I will update after they open on Tuesday. Hopefully I can give them good ratings here, Yelp, and other sites.

So, I have a conundrum. I have to wait months for my Garand to come, and I'm thinking about upping my order to 2 of them, but I have the itch.

Last Thursday I bought a Charter Arms Pathfinder from Patriot Arms in Ipswich, but sadly the pawl or hand which advances the cylinder broke after less than 100 rds yesterday. The shop has always been courteous and responsible, so hopefully they will either give me a new, functional one, and deal with CA themselves, or return my money. I will update after they open on Tuesday. Hopefully I can give them good ratings here, Yelp, and other sites.
Did you register your item with charter arms

This is going to get derailed....

I agree with Mac, he is just the vendor and will aid in shipping it out to the manufacturer to be repaired which should cost you nothing. It's serialized to you and now a used gun, shit luck but that is how it works. I hope you temper your expectations and don't run around writing shitty reviews for how you think it "should" work. It will get repaired but you'll need to wait.

So, I have a conundrum. I have to wait months for my Garand to come, and I'm thinking about upping my order to 2 of them, but I have the itch
Do what I did, drive down and pick up all the CMP Garands you want.

Last edited:
I just got it Thursday, so no, and I hope you're wrong and he makes good. I'm pretty pissed off, but optimistic at the same time.
register your item , call the shop and see what he will do.
FFLs generally are not part of the warranty service.

Back
Top Bottom