• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Garand Megathread

Special Rack
That's it- thanks. My last FG should have been a Rack based on condition. Made a great organ donor so condition wasn't that important, but I would have gone with the Special Rack if they had such a thing at that time.

Seriously- make the trip to Pembroke sometime. There's a Garand match and a sub-match every month April through November. You'll get all the tips you could want for shooting and maintaining a M1 and have a good time with the matches.

That's it- thanks. My last FG should have been a Rack based on condition. Made a great organ donor so condition wasn't that important, but I would have gone with the Special Rack if they had such a thing at that time.

Seriously- make the trip to Pembroke sometime. There's a Garand match and a sub-match every month April through November. You'll get all the tips you could want for shooting and maintaining a M1 and have a good time with the matches.
just dont ask the old italian guy what he thinks of the rack grade specials.

For what a new stock costs? To each their own. I would rather a stock that looked like it was dragged over every rock of normandy, iwo jima, or korea to a new stock.

I was just watching Guns and Ammo TV show and they were at the Cody firearm museum in Wyoming. They had a Winchester select fire Garand which was very cool. Had a bipod, muzzle brake, and removable box mag. Neat stuff.
Never knew about those.

I was just watching Guns and Ammo TV show and they were at the Cody firearm museum in Wyoming. They had a Winchester select fire Garand which was very cool. Had a bipod, muzzle brake, and removable box mag. Neat stuff.
Never knew about those.
JCG had several variations of the M1
Recent Garand Collectors Association had a good right up on the different M1s
IIRC JCG’s first “garand” design was a detach box fed but the “powers to be” thought that to be to complicated and a clip fed top loader was fine like the springfields.

Glad I bought at $0.64 each for 500 from TS. last year in march, $320.00 total for PPU.
Nice. I still have a bunch of 30-06 on clips that I bought for 61 cents per round shipped from cheaper than dirt back in 2015😂

You end up shooting all of that HXP 303 ammo from CTD, I got for you @mac1911 ?😂

who would have thought I could shoot factory 30-06 cheaper than 9mm?...

got any more of that?
ngbbs43cddec7e2b26.jpg

619DW Guns & Ammo has PPU $19.99 a box, 3 box limit.

However, I got really lucky with Steve at Merrimack Firearms today: 20210407_154435.jpg
Came out to 57 rounds, $25. 2 of them were black tips.

That's still pretty good for off the shelf. Many won't hold the black at 100 without some 'tuning'.
Well.... maybe off the shelf is a little off. I went in looking for an IH, they didn't have any out. I mentioned my disappointment having driven all the way from NH. So the armorer there went out back and "found" one. Happend to be one he himself had gone over. So not a rack grade, and not a field grade either.

I 'm thinking I'll do another road trip either late this year or next depending when they are fully open. But this time I'm spending 2 full days at the range.

Nice. I still have a bunch of 30-06 on clips that I bought for 61 cents per round shipped from cheaper than dirt back in 2015😂

You end up shooting all of that HXP 303 ammo from CTD, I got for you @mac1911 ?😂

who would have thought I could shoot factory 30-06 cheaper than 9mm?...
Yes , I bought that specifically for cmp games vintage so I shoot 35 rounds a year IF I bring out the enfield for vintage. The enfield is low on the list for vintage. Now if I get that Swede Mauser starts putting rounds in the 10 ring the enfield might come out every 2-3 years for cmp. Other than that it will be slinging cheap cast loads for plinking fun.

Well.... maybe off the shelf is a little off. I went in looking for an IH, they didn't have any out. I mentioned my disappointment having driven all the way from NH. So the armorer there went out back and "found" one. Happend to be one he himself had gone over. So not a rack grade, and not a field grade either.

I 'm thinking I'll do another road trip either late this year or next depending when they are fully open. But this time I'm spending 2 full days at the range.

Did you go to the Ohio store or Talladega? How was the ride from NH?

Did you go to the Ohio store or Talladega? How was the ride from NH?
I went south. The range is in Talladega, CMP south is in Anniston. Driving wasn't bad, even pleasant. Little traffic and nice scenery. But it was a lot of driving in a short time. Next time I'm planning more days and stops along the way.

A little blo helped draw out the markings. There is an O.G. , faint crossed cannons, and then a cartouche maybe 2 cartouches to the left of the cannons. Hard to make out what they say. Is this a replacement stock?

Attachments

• PXL_20210409_005104085.jpg
    PXL_20210409_005104085.jpg
    546.7 KB · Views: 22
  • PXL_20210409_004052386.jpg
    PXL_20210409_004052386.jpg
    626.1 KB · Views: 22
  • PXL_20210409_004011379.jpg
    PXL_20210409_004011379.jpg
    651 KB · Views: 20
  • PXL_20210409_004052386.jpg
    PXL_20210409_004052386.jpg
    626.1 KB · Views: 22
A little blo helped draw out the markings. There is an O.G. , faint crossed cannons, and then a cartouche maybe 2 cartouches to the left of the cannons. Hard to make out what they say. Is this a replacement stock?
OG - Ogden Arsenal. Rebuild stamp
Looks like remanence of a SA acceptance stamp? No P proofs on the grip
Did they sand off original acceptance stamps during Rearsenal?
IIRC OG was doing rebiulds in the 50s?
That stock could be from any rifle unless theres some indicators on the rifle of OG rebuild?

Last edited:
OG - Ogden Arsenal. Rebuild stamp
Looks like remanence of a SA acceptance stamp? No P proofs on the grip
Did they sand off original acceptance stamps during Rearsenal?
P proof behind trigger guard. E stamps on grip.

Attachments

• PXL_20210407_170024071.jpg
    PXL_20210407_170024071.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20210407_170029022.jpg
    PXL_20210407_170029022.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 8
P proof behind trigger guard. E stamps on grip.
I have mo idea what the E stamp is , I have a few stocks with odd stamps on the grip, could be rack ID smaller arsenal stamps, other country inspections?
I have a carbine with 77 on the grip ?

Back in the late 80s I purchased a M1 Garand from DCM $175.00. Sent it to Orion 7 Enterprises Inc. in New York for some work. He used to attend the Springfield shows. Came back to me like factory new. Also when it was cheap and delivered to my door step. I purchased 2 wood crates of 1980s mfg HMAK Danish 30-06 M/48 Ammo 624 Rounds packaged in cloth bandoliers with loaded 8 Round en bloc clips. Shot 1 crate that ammo was accurate and worked great. Glad I got 2 crates the other crate remains unopened for now.

Back in the late 80s I purchased a M1 Garand from DCM $175.00. Sent it to Orion 7 Enterprises Inc. in New York for some work. He used to attend the Springfield shows. Came back to me like factory new. Also when it was cheap and delivered to my door step. I purchased 2 wood crates of 1980s mfg HMAK Danish 30-06 M/48 Ammo 624 Rounds packaged in cloth bandoliers with loaded 8 Round en bloc clips. Shot 1 crate that ammo was accurate and worked great. Glad I got 2 crates the other crate remains unopened for now.
With all thats going on I dont think we will see cheap ammo ever again.

Back
Top Bottom