• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Garand HRA vs SA

If you had to choose between an HRA or an SA M1 Garand, which would you choose? Both are in similar condition and shoot well. Both were made about the same time (1954-1955). If you could only keep one of them, which would it be and why?

If they where all correct or never rebuilt I would go with SA.
That said I have a 1952 SA and a 1955 HRA those are my closest in production.
HRA has slightly better finish...less machine marks and such HRA also groups better. You really cant go wrong with either one.
Personally if possible check throat and muzzzle and crown condition. Go with the better one for shooting.

All things being equal, I would choose the Springfield. My thought being that the Armory made American military firearms for a long time, and is a wonderful part of National and local history. While the HRA Garands are very nicely made, I don't believe that HRA, as a firm, carries the same level of historical significance that Springfield Armory does.

Chris

Depends on Condition but I think SAs will always be more collectable (see Ranger 4-7 above). Also, you can still get good HRAs from the CMP for relatively short money.

If you had to choose between an HRA or an SA M1 Garand, which would you choose? Both are in similar condition and shoot well. Both were made about the same time (1954-1955). If you could only keep one of them, which would it be and why?

You can't go wrong with either. I like the shape of SA stocks better, but that's a pretty minor detail.

heck just pick both of them up and fondle them, one of them will send a warm and fiuzzy feeling through you. or buy them both

Back
Top Bottom