• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Garand CMP service grade SA revieved 6/18/2021

FWIW
Using the Hornady case comparator
The case “headspace” with the .375” bushing
Factory unfired HXP 1972 measures 2.040” av , +\- .002” out of 16 rounds right off the clips
those cases fired in the Dane
2.045” with a +/- .001”
So the brass expands and pushes the neck forward .005” on average.

my lee die is set up to size my brass to 2.040” on average and it chambers in all my rifles.
I dont know if .005” is over working brass enough to bother.
On my “match” rifle I run a hornady die to push my shoulder back just a smidge .002-003” just so I know it will chamber easily.

Last edited:
Rereading this thread makes me want to get out my match M1, I just did up a batch of 30-06 last weekend. I don't think it's seen the range since 2019, everything else I own saw the range at least in 2020.

Rereading this thread makes me want to get out my match M1, I just did up a batch of 30-06 last weekend. I don't think it's seen the range since 2019, everything else I own saw the range at least in 2020.
My garands generally only see the range if its a match. Im going to rotate the M1s through the last few matches even my worst shooter

Although I missed the match today I shot as if I did not
I included my sighters in my score. Light was very good and I was able to see and plot each shot
SLow prone 138
Rapid prone 91
Slow standing 81- kept all shots inside the 7 ring which is good for me
310/350/1x
Not a match winner but decent for what it is and my skill level

Back
Top Bottom