• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Garand clip ejection.

I just received my first M1 from the CMP and was able to take it to the range this morning. It is a truly amazing piece of engineering. Being such a Garand newbie, I have a question after this mornings shoot. The rifle functioned flawlessly, but during en bloc clip ejection the clip seemed to be ejected from the rifle in a up and rearward direction. Almost every time the clip would end up landing on my forehead or bouncing off my nose. Is this a normal travel route for these clips? If not is there any way to adjust the direction the clips are ejected towards?

Thanks!

I just received my first M1 from the CMP and was able to take it to the range this morning. It is a truly amazing piece of engineering. Being such a Garand newbie, I have a question after this mornings shoot. The rifle functioned flawlessly, but during en bloc clip ejection the clip seemed to be ejected from the rifle in a up and rearward direction. Almost every time the clip would end up landing on my forehead or bouncing off my nose. Is this a normal travel route for these clips? If not is there any way to adjust the direction the clips are ejected towards?

Thanks!

Ditto to 3-4 o'clock. Widely recognized are the perils of the infamous Garand Thumb. It would appear that your M1 has inducted you into the select ranks of those who have experienced Garand Nose.

Edit: Congratulations on your first M1, and good luck with the fix. It's great that you're giving it a good home. The rifle is a living piece of history, and a connection to so many brave Americans who have gone before. I get a thrill every time I pick up mine, even if it's just for cleaning.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom