• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Garand Ammo ?

je25ff

NES Member
I have an older M1 and I don't want to mess with the gas system....so for ammo, do I shoot 150 grain M2 ball?? I have a bunch of clips I want to get in order and all. It seems 150 is the basic. Thoughts?

Hxp surplus is good stuff, you can shoot the modern ammo only if it’s rated for m1’s

Most ammo will be ok in a M1. Its the heavy weight higher velocity hunting ammo that can be a issue. Very high velocity light weight can be a issue also.
If you have M2 ball your good to go.

Just a note its not the bullet weight that hurts a M1, its the amount of gas volume and pressure that reaches the gas port that can be a problem.
Slower powders deliver more volume and pressure to the gas port.
I can load up some 125 gn bullets with a slow powder that will over gas the gas system.

think like this, with M2 the gas volume/pressure getting to the gas port is enough to get it in motion then it is just moving through its cycle under momentum. When you introduce more volume/pressure the action is pushed continually through its movement over riding the mass and spring energy . This puts un needed stress on the parts. The op rod is the weak link. Receiver heals are another weak spot. Along with receiver stretch.

I have an older M1 and I don't want to mess with the gas system....so for ammo, do I shoot 150 grain M2 ball?? I have a bunch of clips I want to get in order and all. It seems 150 is the basic. Thoughts?

I know you say you " don't want to mess with the gas system", but it's really not "messing" with it if you install a schuster gas plug. You just unscrew the original plug. screw in the new one and adjust it a couple times until the gun functions. It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes and that includes shooting and tuning the plug.

I know you say you " don't want to mess with the gas system", but it's really not "messing" with it if you install a schuster gas plug. You just unscrew the original plug. screw in the new one and adjust it a couple times until the gun functions. It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes and that includes shooting and tuning the plug.
I bought a half-dozen of these 10 years ago as emergency preps for my M1's. Who knows what the future holds...

Back
Top Bottom