• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Garand Ammo Selection

Shane

Banned
Video of a guy shooting a M1

OK. I've never shot the M1. I watched this video, and despite claims others on this forum have made, the amount of recoil this guy seems to be dealing with seems significant.

This footage appears comparable to the recoil I felt when shooting a 12 gauge shotgun for the first time.

Could this guy be using too powerful of a 30-06 cartridge?

I've heard some say that they wouldn't use modern 30-06 loads in their Garand because they might be too hot (powerful) for the WW2 era rifle.

Does M1 and M2 Ball kick like that? With M1 and M2 Ball, does one kick more than the other? I know M2 has higher muzzle velocity.

Would you object to using a modern low-recoil 30-06 load in your Garand? I bet performance might suffer but it might be more tolerable for trips to the range.

Is this guy getting this recoil because he's not shooting properly?

Maybe I should just get practice in with these higher powered rifles/shotguns and just shut my trap. I bet I could get used to it with experience. But I'm still getting there.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what kind of ammo the guy is using. I know with regular M2
ball it's not really all that much. (M2 ball is pretty much the de-facto
loading, although I'm sure there are some "more accurate" loads used
and the like, custom handloads, etc. ). I know there are some definite "no no"
loads using certain powder/bullet weight combos... something about bashing up the
spring or possibly bending the op rod. Someone else will chime in with info on that,
I'm sure. All I know is stay away from the russian cheap stuff... The cases get
stuck in your chamber. The stuff is bad juju.

IMO I'd rather shoot an M1 Garand all day than even shooting birdshot
out of a 12G pump. The Garand is much more pleasing to shoot. To me
the recoil feels like a gentle push. IMO my chinsy stamped steel
MAADI AK w/o the brake on it is worse than a Garand is. The only pain you'll
really get from a Garand is your arms getting tired from holding it. [grin]

-Mike

Actually that recoil looks about right to me. The M1 has more of a "shove" than a "kick" like a 12 GA (non-semi auto). The gas system serves to moderate a lot of the recoil. Try a 1903 Springfield and see the difference.

A Garand weighs nearly 10 lbs and the semi-auto action also eats up some of the recoil.

You want recoil, try my 6 lb Kimber in .270 WSM. Ouch!

It's really weird that my Garand shoots with very tolerable recoil but my 03 is the worst kicking rifle I own.....it hurts like mad ! Same round with such different results.

Different operating systems account for the difference in felt recoil.

It's really weird that my Garand shoots with very tolerable recoil but my 03 is the worst kicking rifle I own.....it hurts like mad ! Same round with such different results.
It's not weird; it's physics. The 03 is far lighter than the Garand, so it recoils faster. In addition, the semi-auto action of the Garand also reduces felt recoil.

I can shoot .38 Spcl through my ~40 oz. S&W 19 or 66 all day long. Shooting the same round through my 16 oz. 642 is far more painful. No surprise there.

Last edited:
I fire about 2 -3 bandos of Greek surplus or LC ball everytime I take the Garand out.

What is this recoil you speak of ?

My rifle tends to nudge me in the shoulder a bit after I squeeze the trigger to let me know she just spit a round downrange.

Seriously,it's a bit less than a 12G,which isn't much at all.

I watched the video,and the guy was standing with his hips cocked like a girl,so it looked more powerfull than it really is.

This is a more accurate representation of the "kick" of a Garand from someone that looks like they might have fired a rifle or 2 before.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom