• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Garand Ammo Preferences 30.06

I've had great results from using the Milsurp ammo from the CMP. I beleive it is from Lake City. Price is pretty decent for what you get.

OTOH, I've not had good results from teh Korean surplus that comes already in the Enblocs. I found several splits on the brass lips and have had a few FTF. It also doesn't seem to be to accurate.

YRMV

I've never used new production ammo in my Garand.

STAY AWAY FROM THE KOREAN JUNK!

There are a lot of forum threads (other forums) listing which lot numbers are good, and which are bad, but the best bet is to avoid them completely!

I bought about 400 rounds cheap a few years ago, and had numerous split cases. Nothing like hot gases shooting out at your face to make your day. Even when I individually inspected the cases, I was still getting at least one split in every 10 rounds. Not worth it.

Go with the CMP Lake City or the Greek stuff. Both shoot fairly well, and quality control is much better. I don't even bother with commercial loadings -too damn expensive.

Of course, if you want to go with the Korean stuff, I have about 375 rounds I can sell you REAL CHEAP! I have it labeled - for End-of-the-World-as-We-Know-It scenarios ONLY....

If you do use the "newer" ammo, do not go above 150 grains. After all , these rifles weren't built to handle the higher grain ammo.

Sorry, but this is not true.

M72 Match was loaded with 175 gr. bullets, M2AP was loaded with 165gr bullets and M2 Ball was loaded with 152 gr. bullets and all of it was routinely fired in M1 rifles.

There is no danger in shooting bullets heavier than 150 gr. Admonitions about the type of ammunition used, should have a caution about port pressures and not bullet weights.

B

STAY AWAY FROM THE KOREAN JUNK!

Not all of the "Poong San" stuff is junk. Carl was selling tons of it at
FS and we never had any real problems with it. I'm guessing some
lots were far better than others.

-Mike

I used loads of Korean with the PS headstamp and it functioned just fine. Now it is either my reloads (mostly) or CMP Greek HXP. It comes either boxed or on enblocs and bandoleers.

Thanks for the quick reply's all. Quality Mil-surp ammo it is. If the upcomming gun show doesn't have some, then a trip to FS it will be. I owe it to my SA 43to try to keep it around for another 64 years. As a functional piece of history, it deserves nothing less than my best effort.

I've used the Korean stuff with great results in accuracy and function, but even after corrosive clean up had an orange frost attack my Garand barrel.[shocked] A few brushings with Break Free and some patching followed up by a range trip using non corrosive ammo and I've been ok since.

There's good and bad Korean; sounds as if you got the bad. I used some of the good Korean, but now have a small stockpile of CMP Lake City.

The bolt guns get the reloads; the Garand gets the real stuff.

Thanks for the quick reply's all. Quality Mil-surp ammo it is. If the upcomming gun show doesn't have some, then a trip to FS it will be. I owe it to my SA 43to try to keep it around for another 64 years. As a functional piece of history, it deserves nothing less than my best effort.

Best bet is to order it from CMP.I have seen the Korean,LC and Greek at the shows for $8-$9 a box.Same thing at FS or any gunshop,way overpriced compared to CMP.If you do a lot of shooting,it is well worth it to do the paperwork to purchase from CMP.

I have shot the PS headstamped Korean in my M-1 and have had no problems. Accuracy was good - on par with the HXP. The Greek HXP in the cans with 20rd cardboard boxes is $100 + shipping from the CMP.

A minor warning for the Greek Olympic branded 30-.06 - shoot it if you must but it really isn't that good for the gun. Our gun club got some of that stuff from the CMP for Garand Matches and everytime it's used a fireball comes out the barrel! There is also a louder report too from this stuff. When we have a Garand match I pay the extra to shoot my ammo ( PS or HXP ) then bang the gun with this stuff.

Relaoding for the Garand is as pointed out above by a poster - it's port pressure, not bullet weight that determines what the M-1 can shoot. Match ammo in the 168 to 173 can be loaded as long as you get the port pressuse right. ( Basically watch the velocities on them )

Joe R.

I have a couple of Garands in the pipeline from CMP - but it takes a while to get them. So to whet my appetite to buy something gun related I ordered some of the Greek surplus in the spam cans that they have listed on the CMP site. This is the stuff that comes in the spam cans packed in the en-bloc clips and bandoleers.

It sure looks like good quality to me - spam can sealed tight, no corrosion on the brass, etc. Plus you get the en-bloc clips and some bandoleers. There is a lot of discussion on the www.odcmp.com forums about the different available from CMP.

When you figure in the value of the en-bloc clips (at current Ebay prices) that are included in the spam cans the cost of the Greek stuff is a pretty damn good bargain.

You do have to sign up for CMP though - but the process is pretty straightforward.

Danish 30.06

At the recommendation of Carl, at FS, I purchased a couple of bandoleers of Danish Mil-Surp ammo, today. Then, out to the range to give them a go... Very pleased with the outcome. Lights out accurate!
Thanks again to the posters and all the varied replys. I'll do the paperwork for CMP and see how that plays out.
There is just something about the "bark" of that Garand... it sounds like history!
[iwojima]
CJ

Back
Top Bottom