• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Garand 4 Round Internal Box Magazine

I just purchased an M1 that has been converted to a 4 round internal box magazine.

I am not familiar with this conversion. What needs to be done to convert it back to use en-bloc clips?

photo_zps985d2f99.jpg

photo2_zpsfa7f38a9.jpg

It looks like you'd have to unscrew the trigger, yank everything out, and replace magazine parts and trigger group. There are states out there who restrict number of rounds in a semi-automatic for hunting purposes.

From the looks of it that scope mount covers the clip latch release. I'm guessing some one hunted with this gun enough to modify a clip and I'm guessing the clip ejection spring will be missing or snipped off to keep clip from being released. Have you tried to just pull the clip out?

Also the screw on the trigger latch has 2 functional possibilities
1. The latch comes unlocked from lack of tight lock up
2. Prevents any doubt as to being able to remove the 4 round clip to insert 8 rounds.
I'm standing buy my guess this was a seroius deer gun for a old timer

More pics

Last edited:
You guys are correct, old timer & deer hunter. It is a 1944 Springfield that I bought from the original owner's son. It was modified a number of years ago into a tanker. I bought it knowing of the modifications but the price was right.

Fast forward to issue 2, I have been loading/unloading ammo and operating the bolt dry. Last time I released the bolt (no round) I could not open it again. Stuck closed. Ideas?

Edit: Scope mount left no permanent modifications to the receiver

M1Garand001_zps3afbed50.jpg

M1Garand002_zpsfb4c414c.jpg

M1Garand005_zpsa8ca25e7.jpg

M1Garand003_zps3b1fd8e6.jpg

M1Garand004_zpscdab26f2.jpg

From the looks of it that scope mount covers the clip latch release. I'm guessing some one hunted with this gun enough to modify a clip and I'm guessing the clip ejection spring will be missing or snipped off to keep clip from being released. Have you tried to just pull the clip out?

Clip release do not release a clip.

That is sweet. I don't know anything about them but I can imagine a few deer fell to it's bark.

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

Stuck bolt? You could try a sharp blow to the floor on the recoil pad and see if it opens or careful blows with a rubber mallet on op rod.....id whack the Butt end of stock on flloor 1st.
take the screw out and remove trigger group. Go from there

First time I have seen a "sporterized" Garand. If the bolt is still stuck, start by removing the trigger group and stock. Pull the operating rod off and then try to tap the bolt lug firmly with a nylon-coated hammer. That may jar it loose.

Stripped it and got the bolt unstuck. Also, removed a modified clip. The clip release appears to actuate but I don't have any clips to test it with. Do you see anything that would make you think I can't load an unmodified clip w/o issue?

GarandStrip001_zps7619f29c.jpg

GarandStrip003_zps95f16cc6.jpg

GarandStrip005_zps38308fb5.jpg

GarandStrip006_zps0edf2f3c.jpg

GarandStrip008_zps53bc771e.jpg

GarandStrip012_zps50687b38.jpg

Will the trigger assembly lock back into the stock with out the screw...is there resistance.
Pictures of the trigger assembly

Last edited:
I have seen a few sporterized M1s most don't come out of the closet until the final hunting days are over. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=325473482....curious if the stocks are actual m1 stocks or complete custom?
They are out there. Old timers of today didn't think twice about sport'n these cheap surplus items.....I don't even want to talk about all the sport 03,k98 ectect
cool little piece and you got the history to boot...see if you can get some pics of the old man with the rifle over some of his taken game...post those also

Looks like everything is there. Depending on how the trigger group has been modified, you may need to purchase a new (or surplus) one. Good resources are Garand Gear and PackRat Collectibles (have bought parts from both with good results). Both also sell enbloc clips.

Will the trigger assembly lock back into the stock with out the screw...is there resistance.
Pictures of the trigger assembly

Trigger guard snaps into place w/o the screw. I'm thinking this guy had it setup primarily as a deer gun.

I assumed it was a custom stock, anything I can look for to determine if it is a modified original?

Here is a pic of the trigger group:

GarandStrip004_zps1be276c8.jpg

Last edited:
Anywhere in the greater Boston area I can have the gas block re-blued?
The gas cylender is stainless they where painted I think originally. Blueing might look aweful on stainless. I don't have a picture but I used flat black high heat spraypaint. Looks fine.

mac1911 was nice enough to get me hooked up with some clips, thanks again!

But, I am now having issues loading the clips into the rifle. An unloaded clip will slide right in but a loaded clip will not push all the way down and latch. (disregard the ugly ammo, it won't be shot)

IMG_3575_zps2d6a147d.jpg

your really going to have to take some good pics of the guts of the gun. trigger group, action with out the stock ect ect

Arrgghhh who did that to the m1???? Just throw a five round e-bloc clip in it. I used to hunt in NY with mine..note used to. They can kiss my ass now-will spend my money in NH, Maine and PA.

Could be the angle you are trying to insert enbloc. The scope mount may be the issue. Try same enbloc with mount removed.

Ugly ammo? Never seen that. All ammunition is sexy.

~Matt

your really going to have to take some good pics of the guts of the gun. trigger group, action with out the stock ect ect

I'll get it stripped down and take some pictures in the next day or so.

Could be the angle you are trying to insert enbloc. The scope mount may be the issue. Try same enbloc with mount removed.

Ugly ammo? Never seen that. All ammunition is sexy.

~Matt

The scope isn't getting in the way, I have a nice straight shot down. The scope will be coming off anyway though.

Ugly ammo:
photo_zpsbfb45de8.jpg

Slam the ammo against a table and into the en bloc to make sure it's all properly aligned. Looks like some of the bullets might be hitting as you try to load it. Also, the en bloc you have might not like your Garand. I've had shitty Chinese en blocs load fine empty, but stick getting further down into the receiver when fully loaded. Needless to say, I don't use those and had to buy some better quality ones.

Back
Top Bottom