M1 Carbines available

I won an M1 Carbine from a GOAL raffle. New from Auto Ordnance. Beautiful gun. Light. Handy.

ran like crap though. Couldn't shoot a full magazine without a jam, failure to eject, or something else. ammo was expensive for what it is, and not everywhere sold it.

Sold the gun to a board member to fund an AR build.

AR runs like a top. never a misfire. modern gun that shoots better ammo

Unless you're a milsurp collector, I could not imagine wanting an M1 carbine vs a modern AR.

I won an M1 Carbine from a GOAL raffle. New from Auto Ordnance. Beautiful gun. Light. Handy.

ran like crap though. Couldn't shoot a full magazine without a jam, failure to eject, or something else. ammo was expensive for what it is, and not everywhere sold it.

Unless you're a milsurp collector, I could not imagine wanting an M1 carbine vs a modern AR.
It's widely known that commercial M1 Carbines are not very reliable.

They made 6million USGI carbines, so if someone is in the market for one a USGI example isn't hard to find.

AR vs M1 carbine - Totally different animals, IMO. The carbines are fun for plinking with. And for the WW2 cool factor.

It's widely known that commercial M1 Carbines are not very reliable.

They made 6million USGI carbines, so if someone is in the market for one a USGI example isn't hard to find.

AR vs M1 carbine - Totally different animals, IMO. The carbines are fun for plinking with. And for the WW2 cool factor.
Well if you can hit what your shooting at it delivers pretty decent balistics down range
110gn 1900+ fps , yeah fmj but still

the AO carbines were known to have problems. Original WW2 & Korean ones run like clocks. As dw617 said, AR v. M1 totally different animals

its a auto ordnance , did you actually expect it to work properly??

Just one data point, I enjoy shooting my (real surplus GI) M1 carbines a lot more than my AR's. But I won't touch the reproductions, the original GI
ones , they do not make them like that anymore.

I've always wanted an IBM, but I got the same email OP did and chuckled as I mashed the delete button.
I don't think I'd pay more than $1000 for a carbine. There's plenty of people that will, though.

I remember buying surplus GI arsenal refurbed M1 Carbines for $150 a piece back in the mid 80's.
The seller had CRATES full of them. He'd throw a dozen up on the counter and say "pick one".
(too bad I only bought one)
BTW, it was a gun shop in WEST NEWTON, a few blocks from the police station, and nobody objected to it's presence in the neighborhood. How times have changed. [angry]
The commercial ones on the market back then, such as the Universal and Iver Johnson, also had poor reputations for reliability.

I have a Postal M1 never fired.

Only because they didn't own it in the 70's and 80's. ;)

I remember buying surplus GI arsenal refurbed M1 Carbines for $150 a piece back in the mid 80's.
The seller had CRATES full of them. He'd throw a dozen up on the counter and say "pick one".
BTW, it was a gun shop in WEST NEWTON, a few blocks from the police station, and nobody objected to it's presence in the neighborhood. How times have changed. [angry]
The commercial ones on the market back then, such as the Universal and Iver Johnson, also had poor reputations for reliability.

That's criminal. LOL. There was a company that made a 2-action Gatling gun out of M1Carbeanz. It was just during/after the CMP ran out. I so wanted to try it, but never did. LOL

they are listed under military surplus $1500, i got both my garand and m1 carbine for under $300 way back when

Yeah. I balked at $700 ones 15 years ago as too expensive for a useless gun. I'm certainly not going to buy one now at double the price.

I remember those days as well.
My father talked me out of getting one saying it was just this side of useless. It was better to carry, he said because of the lighter weight but he’d rather fight with a BAR.
I sometimes wish I got one, but “collector” prices make it something I’ll never do.

Just one data point, I enjoy shooting my (real surplus GI) M1 carbines a lot more than my AR's. But I won't touch the reproductions, the original GI
ones , they do not make them like that anymore.
I’d get a Fulton Armory if I was okay with the price.

But my $700 Standard Products M1 Carbine runs like a top and shoots 3-5 MOA with decent ammo. I mean, for an M1 Carbine, I’ll take it!

Fun to shoot and just about everybody enjoys it.

Like others have mentioned, I wouldn’t pick one up from classic firearms for the prices they’re asking though.

There was a company that made a 2-action Gatling gun out of M1Carbeanz. It was just during/after the CMP ran out. I so wanted to try it, but never did. LOL

I remember those too, they were tripod mounts with a big lolipop sight, and a crank which turned a cam which alternated hitting the left and right triggers.
I've also seen those rigs with twin AK and 10/22 actions.

I remember those too, they were tripod mounts with a big lolipop sight, and a crank which turned a cam which alternated hitting the left and right triggers.
I've also seen those rigs with twin AK and 10/22 actions.

Twin AK's seemed excessive. Twin 10/22's were interesting, but back in that day, if you could have gotten 2 $300 M1Beans, it would have been worth it. Definitely put some lead down-range. LOL

I've always wanted an IBM, but I got the same email OP did and chuckled as I mashed the delete button.
I don't think I'd pay more than $1000 for a carbine. There's plenty of people that will, though.
I worked for IBM, there is one in a glass showcase in the lobby of the IBM headquarters in Armonk, NY. Or there use to be anyway.

Ha! I won one as well! It did shoot factory ammo...but choked on my reloads fairly often... I dialed it in...and it's pretty realiable...
Oh yeah...the stock looked horrible! My SO used some Scott's Liquid Gold on it...it looks GREAT now!

Back
Top Bottom