• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Carbine--Who is the go-to gunsmith in MA?

NES is a f***ing riot.

You guys never fail to fail--no matter how simple the query.

That's a pretty broad ended question. That's like asking "best mechanic, go!" when not every mechanic will even work on all cars.

Gunsmiths are the same way. Especially the best ones. The best gunsmiths have their own "wheelhouses and lanes" and they stick to them.

-Mike

NES is a f***ing riot.

You guys never fail to fail--no matter how simple the query.

As an owner of two M1 Carbines I am also curious as to what the problem is that you're having with your carbine, and it would be good to know where you live before recommending a gunsmith.

Also If you answer the question that Majspud asked, maybe someone could help you and save you some money.

Also curious what issue you're having. Who manufactured your carbine?

A friend of mine is very experienced and capable with these rifles but is semi-retired... Brookfield Precision Tool. I'd have to ask him if he was interested.

Last edited:
It's the magazines. It's always the magazines.

This, issues are usually the mags or commercial gun or parts.

If it's a rebarrel or something extensive then Fulton Armory may be your best bet.

I've seen too many butchered stuff. Even the best guys you can end up with something you didn't ask for. Case in point, I had a scope mount trimmed on one inside edge by one of the best, but he decided to do me a favor and reblue it. I wanted to leave it phosphated.

And when Charlie closes everything 2A related cuz "non-essential" whatcha gonna do.

[pics]

Had to do it.

t 🐰[smile]

Fair enough.

This is not my carbine. It belongs to an old-timer with whom I recently struck up a conversation about firearms and shooting.

For those who are not fluent with Carbine lot numbers, this Carbine appears to be almost correct, and appears to have a muzzle wear of a little more than "1".

The manufacturer is Standard Products. They only made Carbines for 1 year during WWII.

The only thing I noted which is not correct is the barrel band, which probably would have gotten swapped out post-war.

vDFdNKQ.jpg

DWqemXN.jpg

RzursZJ.jpg

Vz0aiNn.jpg

Y9aay4k.jpg

v1oRgit.jpg

MV17rxl.jpg

RWst9kY.jpg

jqM3dWs.jpg

dSH3dZr.jpg

qqFsfvG.jpg

QfnO2Ov.jpg

Gon2GZs.jpg

edUVnNf.jpg

aiwRc5t.jpg

PmyQfFn.jpg

fpMX2Sd.jpg

a20cEDk.jpg

So far so good.

Last edited:
Here is the ugly.

While giving it a bath in Hoppes, I noted this.

Kg1XxNw.jpg

oTBJzHk.jpg

7FFSIDN.jpg

ZYhIDvE.jpg

tKeYkGE.jpg

I'd like to find a local gunsmith--a REAL gunsmith, who actually knows how to case-harden metal, to address the damage to the left lug rail, and the peening present on the left receiver face in the bolt lug recess.

Hopefully that gunsmith will also have a competent knowlege of The M1 Carbine's receiver geometry and bolt operation, and can determine if the carbine can be restored to safe operation, and (hopefully) with competent repair, restore it to a long and useful life.

If you can recommend such a gunsmith, that would be great.

Everybody else can enjoy the Carbine pics.

Pretty. Yup, that gunsmith level reconstruction work. I would recommend Pullman Arms in Worcester. Have you shot it? Function or feed issues?

t

So here's a question for you: Where is the bolt? It's nowhere in your photos. I'm willing to bet that peening/damage to the left inner part of the receiver is due to the right lug of the bolt breaking off at some point.

To re-harden that would require the whole receiver to be annealed then hardened again. You may be able to peen that spot down and be good to go as it isn't supposed to be an impact area. The peening may cause some work hardening.
The broken lug theory is sound and would account for the damage further back on the rail.

Its usually the right lug that breaks, although something can have jammed up on that side? That is also one of the reasons for a cracked/broken lug. the left sid can bind putting pressure on the right lug.
Check the op rod/slide for damage where the bolt lug rides.

judging by the condition and if this was not a corrected rifle ( also look for import marks they can be small on the underside of the barrel) most likely a flat bolt. If a bolt is going to break its most likely going to be a flat bolt. If there are any plans to shoot it again you should up date to a round bolt and a V or VI Slide ( op rod) They will play well together. V slides are identified by this stamp
drawing/part number 7160091 the VI drawing/part number 7161843

Good thing is that the receiver lug face does not appear to be damaged , that is good. Usually when a bolt lug is starting to fail it eats up the receiver lug contact area.

A USGI bolt is going to run $150 or more, I hear Fulton Armory bolts are good to go.

Im not a metal expert But I think that will clean up fine.
I have a inland that suffered some damage from a cracked bolt. Messed up the slide a bit also. I bought a Bolt and slide years ago from the Surplus parts guy at the gun shows.

Last edited:
Been looking at the MJs as well, only problem with the ones I'm finding is either they're rotted to hell, have the long bed(which I hate), or they have the 4cyl. Or if they're decent folks want stupid money for them.
Another vote for Pullman arms to weld that up.

Also would give the CMP a call to see if they offer those services. CMP Gunsmith Services

To elaborate Pullman does micro welding.
Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom