• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Carbine - UPDATE: Got it, Pics and Questions in latest post. Thanks

Hey all,

Decided I am probably going to be selling my Tavor to fund a couple other projects. I would like to get an M1 Carbine, though I am not too picky.

My requirements are pretty simple, something in decent condition (will get shot, but not too much), that looks good, and isn't bubba-fied. I don't want a reproduction gun, something from the WWII years would be ideal. I am looking at it from a "collector" perspective only in that I want a proper and authentic example of a WWII M1 carbine.

For example, my garand is a CMP service grade, and I'd be happy with that "grade" of carbine.

Any thoughts as to the price range/where I should be looking? It seems like 800-850 seems to be the low end?

I intend to figure out a way to display some of my collectibles... which currently only consist of my garand.

Thanks

Mike

Last edited:
I got one last summer for a little under 800 that would be as you describe so I think you're in the right ballpark

Check out the Gunbroker website to get and idea on prices. Also you might find a few at the gun show in Marlborough MA next weekend:

Marlboro Best Western Royal Plaza Trade Center
181 Boston Post Road West
Marlborough, MA 01752-1883

Saturday 9:00am - 5:00pm
Sunday 9:00am - 3:00pm

If your going to look for one, look to see if it has importation marks/stamping...... WW2 without the markings/stamping will run you more and are better collectables..

Also look for ones made up of parts from the same manufacture... a lot of M1 carbines around are "put togethers" from various manufactures..

Good hunting!

Last edited:
I see the occasional Inland or Winchester pop up in the classifieds or sell on Gunbroker for $600-$700, but you're right, it's more common to see them sell for $800-$900. Add 20% for retail or show prices.

Carbines are a bit tough, so many variants, parts, up grades, also forgive me if I am wrong but there where no more M1 carbines manufactured after WWII. 6million plus of them made.
The prices are all over the place. A decent service grade carbine can be found for good deals just have to jump on them when they pop up. My last carbine purchase
was a rockola mix master with post war upgrades. came with a 43 dated mag pouch 7 mags sling and oiler for 800.00 shipped. last rockola I seen before and since then was 1000$.
good luck and I will keep an eye out

- - - Updated - - -

Carbines are a bit tough, so many variants, parts, up grades, also forgive me if I am wrong but there where no more M1 carbines manufactured after WWII. 6million plus of them made.
The prices are all over the place. A decent service grade carbine can be found for good deals just have to jump on them when they pop up. My last carbine purchase
was a rockola mix master with post war upgrades. came with a 43 dated mag pouch 7 mags sling and oiler for 800.00 shipped. last rockola I seen before and since then was 1000$.
good luck and I will keep an eye out

So is 750 a more realistic budget to set? I don't need to get some super awesome deal, but I'm also not looking to get hosed. I have a probable buyer on the tavor for what I paid for it, but most of that money is being allocated towards my SBR build (with a couple uppers)

Mike

$750 seems to be a safe price, so long as there's nothing major affecting the rifle's value: make sure it's genuine USGI (not a commercial reproduction) and there's no damage or non original modifications. Import marking may affect value as well.

Appreciate the hunt.

- Read up and study your prey.
- Put seven $100 bill in the secret pocket in your wallet.
- Don't feel bad about passing on the wrong gun.
- Buy the gun not the story.

You will know when to pull the trigger.

It's all about the journey.

Good luck

I see the occasional Inland or Winchester pop up in the classifieds or sell on Gunbroker for $600-$700, but you're right, it's more common to see them sell for $800-$900. Add 20% for retail or show prices.
Tony i have been keeping an eye on the inlands on gun broker as i am looking for one also and the only ones going between 6-$700 are of poor condition. For an Inland that is decent its been going 800+ the past 2 months.

yeah prices for decent mix masters have gone up steadily since the cmp sold, and then sold out of them. used to be able to get around 600 easy, now expect atleast 700+. Even my all original as left factory early inlands, which I got for a grand-1200 each over years, goes for an easy 1500+ now.

Tony i have been keeping an eye on the inlands on gun broker as i am looking for one also and the only ones going between 6-$700 are of poor condition. For an Inland that is decent its been going 800+ the past 2 months.

^This. For what you're looking for, which was essentially what I was looking for at the end of last summer, you're looking at upper $700s minimum for a good one. I grabbed my Inland very quickly when I saw it posted on another board for mid-upper 700s with a sling and oiler included and have only seen one other one since that was comparable and it sold in minutes for $750 on another board. The rest have been 800 and up so if you see a nice one under 800, don't hesitate.

yeah, I was quite happy with it and glad I jumped on it when it came up. Very accurate too.

I've watched a handful of youtube videos and done a bit of reading, I definitely have a much better idea of what to look for now.

It seems those $500 deals are luck more than anything else... I'm all about getting a good deal but I'm not trying to hold out forever... I have enough liquid cash that now that I know what I'm looking for I could swipe something up if it were an excellent deal and either move it or hold on to it.

Mike

I've watched a handful of youtube videos and done a bit of reading, I definitely have a much better idea of what to look for now.
I
It seems those $500 deals are luck more than anything else... I'm all about getting a good deal but I'm not trying to hold out forever... I have enough liquid cash that now that I know what I'm looking for I could swipe something up if it were an excellent deal and either move it or hold on to it.

Mike

Are you any where near pack and postal? I'm sure he has something.

I am meeting a NESer on Wednesday to buy his M1 sight unseen a couple hours from here (well he did send me pictures). It is a CMP service grade underwood (with certs), and I'll be sure to post some pictures when I get it.

I've been doing a lot of reading on the M1 Carbines lately. From the pics I have seen it is an Underwood rifle and a 10-43 stamped barrel, which I think I would be right in assuming is original to the gun. It does have what appears to be the machined peep sight (which the seller mentioned is loose in the dovetail), as well as the type 3 barrel band with bayonet lug. The seller was unable to find any import markings. The wood may be original, it doesn't appear to be the potbelly, but it isn't the high wood either, and it has the 4 rivet upper barrel piece. I've noticed a couple rock-ola parts, which from what I read was how a lot of underwoods shipped.

Very excited to pick it up, and as I said I'll have more pics for you guys soon.

Mike

CMP is technically not importing. I forget what the term was but I read a post from Orest at some point stating that they aren't technically an importer.

CMP is technically not importing. I forget what the term was but I read a post from Orest at some point stating that they aren't technically an importer.
CMP is allowed by a charter created by Congress to receive surplus firearms from the us army (for free) it then can distribute them to qualified US citizens for the promotion of firearm safety and marksmenship. The money they charge for the items goes to support the cost of the mission of the cmp.

So what did the current bs administration block when they blocked the reimportation of certain rifles?

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

Back
Top Bottom