• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Carbine Selection

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Looks like I've traded my Sauer 38H rig for a M1 Carbine. I have a choice between a 1943 Saginaw (SG), or a 1943 Saginaw for Irwin Pedersen (S'G') Given typical rebuild status, is the S'G' really that much rarer?

t

Pic is the SG; waiting on more

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 4.01.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 4.01.06 PM.png
    206.3 KB · Views: 96
You're worse than my GF.

Me: What do you want to do for/on <x>?

Her : If you were me, what would you do?

All I was asking was whether a S'G' was appreciably rarer than a "plain" Saginaw made carbine.

I picked a S'G' from Grand Rapids Michigan, September '43 - just got the pics this AM. Picked up a magazine pouch and muzzle cover off GunBoards for $38. Have a sling and oiler left over from better times. Waiting on his FFL to ship the Sauer 38H.

t

Attachments

• thumbnail_DSC00379.jpg
    thumbnail_DSC00379.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 51
  • thumbnail_DSC00381.jpg
    thumbnail_DSC00381.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 20190719_193231-2986x1995.jpg
    20190719_193231-2986x1995.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 37
This trade connection for the S'G' was made off the CMP forums. The other carbine trade for my M03A3 Smith Corona is on hold. This one had a freaky SN as it applied to me....5236067....

2 - I'm 52 years old
6 - and born on 6-(2)0-67

t

Pouch and cover came today...among the nicest I've had for about half of what I've paid before.

t

Attachments

• IMG_7873.jpg
    IMG_7873.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7874.jpg
    IMG_7874.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 19
In a somewhat related note, a gunsmith in PA recently called the ATF to report a customer who unwittingly brought in an M2 carbine without a stamp. Presumably it was "grandpa's old gun." The smith called BATFE to confiscate it and reported the customer. D'oh.

That’s the one full auto I’d really want. Saw a couple for sale on the internet a few years back for $12,500.

t[mg]
Have you ever gotten to try one?
I tried OneEyedJack's M3 greasegun at a NES shoot and it was fun. Slow rate of fire.
The H&K MP5 is still my favorite out of all full autos I've tried.

That's one thing I won't be able to get. My wife's OK with guns as she's from Texas, But she doesn't shoot and doesn't want me to have a full auto weapon.

Somewhere back in my LEO days, I shot a full auto, but I don't remember what it was.

t

The Army was good for letting me try FA weapons, but submachine guns? Nah. That time had passed before I joined, and bursts from M16s are less fun than a lot of people assume.

We did have an M60 in college (ROTC) that we fired on some ranchland north of town. I was one of the lucky buggers that got to put 100 rounds through it “from the hip,” braced against my inner thigh.

I’ll never forget that. But I don’t need to do it every day.

In a somewhat related note, a gunsmith in PA recently called the ATF to report a customer who unwittingly brought in an M2 carbine without a stamp. Presumably it was "grandpa's old gun." The smith called BATFE to confiscate it and reported the customer. D'oh.

Jeez. Way to throw a customer under the bus!

Months back I was browsing Gunboards classifieds and saw some guy had complete M2 drop-in kits for sale, among a bunch of other stuff in his WTS thread. I thought: "Oh cool" but I probably wouldn't enjoy prison so I kept surfing. A day later I checked back and the whole thread was gone. Hmmm

First trade went through. My Sauer 38H bring-back rig for this gorgeous 1944 Underwood M1 carbine. More details to follow.

t

Attachments

• DSC00433.jpg
    DSC00433.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC00436.jpg
    DSC00436.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 27
First trade went through. My Sauer 38H bring-back rig for this gorgeous 1944 Underwood M1 carbine. More details to follow.

Interesting coincidence that you mention your (previously owned) 38H. I received this month's Blue Press (Dillon Precision's monthly catalog, in a new larger size). They always feature a write-up in their centerfold of a classic firearm by John Marshall. This months feature was on the Sauer 38H. Very positive write-up on a pistol that apparently had some advanced features for it's time.

It is a very nice pistol....has a separate de-cocker lever on the side. Unfortunately as a lefty, that lever cuts into my trigger finger, and the serrated take down bar at the top of the trigger guard has actually caused my finger to bleed. In the Walther PP and PPk line, the safety functions as a de-cocker, is ambidextrous, and has no sharp edges.

t

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    180.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6937.jpg
    IMG_6937.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
This trade connection for the S'G' was made off the CMP forums. The other carbine trade for my M03A3 Smith Corona is on hold. This one had a freaky SN as it applied to me....5236067....

2 - I'm 52 years old
6 - and born on 6-(2)0-67

t
Somewhat interestingly, a piece I am following on GB (not an M1 Carbine) has--when I looked at the in depth photos--my birthday (month and day) as its serial number.
Not as in depth as yours in terms of extra numbers + year, but kind of cool. Maybe I can content myself with explanation as justification for shelling out. When I noticed, I remembered this thread.

Yes. :)

Which means I cannot recall which. I "think" it's a flat bolt but just can't remember. Would have to look and let you know.

Back
Top Bottom