M1 Carbine Magazine Manufacturers Codes

With the anticipated arival of an M1 Carbine in the next couple of weeks I have purchased some mags and decided to do some digging to see who made them. I came across this site and have posted the codes here for the 15rnd mags there is more info on the site so I have also included the link. (Mods I didn't know if here or milsurps was the place for this feel free to move it.)

http://www.rawles.to/M1_Carbine_Mag_FAQ.html

Inland Division of General Motors AI A1 IA II UI KI KI [inverted] II [circled] SI [circled] AI Note: Inland codes including an "A" were reportedly made by Autorye Co. For GM Inland Division

C. Cowles & Co. C

Saginaw Steering Divison of G.M. KSG S'G' OI-S'G' G- S'G' SP-S'G'

and some more Saginaw codes... U-S'G' O-SG K-S'G' ISG KSG (inverted)

IBM SY-B OI-B OI B

International Silver IS

Irwin Pedersen K-IP I-P-K IP-I C-IP UP

National Postal Meter UN MN

Quality Hardware UQ QU G-Q

Rock-Ola IR R-C RO RC R-G UR

Rugg Mfg. Co. (Greenfield, MA.) RUGG

Seymour Smith SS SS-4 R-SS

Standard Products SO SP

Stanley Works SW

Underwood IU LU UU IU [circled]

Union Hardware U

Wade Electric Products WEP [in curved type]

Winchester BW IW UW IW [circled]

And here are some as yet unidentified maker's marks... (Please send me an e-mail if you know for certain who made these.):

B [circled] (I've seen some cases of 100 that were marked Winchester, but packed with these "B" magazines-- could they be a subcontract from Bridgeport?)

C+B

I.I.P.

S-C [stamped sideways]

O-S [in curved type]

SI

SL [circled]

SQ struck out with a line, and SP-SG beneath it.

UP

To resurrect an old thread...

Just got my order of 10 CMP mags. I have to say most look brand new. Only one has some minor and I mean very minor surface discoloration which I expect will vanish with a few short strokes of fine steel wool.

Examining the stamps I find:
6 Inland: 4 "AI" and 2 "IA"
2 National Postal Meter "MN"
1 Winchester "BW"

and probably the cleanest of the bunch, a pristine "RUGG" from our very own Greenfield, MA.

Carbine shooters: If you haven't ordered up some of these mags, better jump on it before they're gone. My only regret is not getting 2 boxes but this is a wealth that has to be shared!!!

I bought a couple of NIW "UI" and "B in a circle" mags from a local dealer for $15 apiece. Look the same as the day they were produced, worked great!

Thanx this was helpful. I recently bought 3 from Brownlee's . WWII still wrapped in brown waxed paper. 1 . BW -Winchester. 2. U. Union Hardware. 3. AI. for Inland. Like my 1943 or 44 Carbine- Inland

Back
Top Bottom