M1 Carbine build; Help ID'ing Stock Cartouche

OfficerObie59

NES Member
I've decided with the CMP long out of them and GI models running well over $600 retail, I'm going to build my own mixmaster M1 Carbine. I'm in no rush, and I can have a gun piece by piece as time and money allow for a nice project.

I started by picking up this old stock today for $40, and I'm trying to ID the cartouche. Some online searching was fruitless. The butt stock has a mark "SSA Co." with a Star above it and two numbers obscured by the finish. At the front top there's an "SA" stamp. I'm assuming it was later rearsenaled by Springfield, but not entirely sure. Anyone have any ideas?

EDT: I just noticed the recoil plate--still attached and covered in gunk-- is stamped "Standard Products". Was SSA an abbriviation for them?

Some lawyer thinner and tung oil will have her looking like new.

-Obes

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344968549.546471.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344968577.215394.jpg

Last edited:
The stock is a post-war Springfield Armory potbelly stock. It should have the M2 cutout on the left side of the opening for the receiver. Whatever rifle the stock held went through the re-arsenal process at the San Antonio Arsenal after WWII (probably being prepared for use in Korea/export/??).

Let me know how your progress goes as I collect M1 Carbines and may have a bunch of parts and books I can share with you.

"Lawyer thinner"?

I wasn't aware there was a solvent that worked on them.
If I don't start loosing weight, I'll end up needing some of that provided I pass the bar.

Damn you, autocorrect. Obviously, it was supposed to be "laquer".

The stock is a post-war Springfield Armory potbelly stock. It should have the M2 cutout on the left side of the opening for the receiver. Whatever rifle the stock held went through the re-arsenal process at the San Antonio Arsenal after WWII (probably being prepared for use in Korea/export/??).

Let me know how your progress goes as I collect M1 Carbines and may have a bunch of parts and books I can share with you.
Awesome info. I may well take you up on the offer.

Looking for receiver. My goal is to spring for a GI so I'll be legal with a barrel band and bayo lug.

Back
Top Bottom