M1 Carbind FINALLY came home

This past weekend, I took a little overnight trip to my grandparents house in ME. It was a nice drive, and I was able to dig an apple tree of my grandfathers that he can't care for anymore, and bring it back home and plant in my yard.

I also was able to bring back my M1 Carbine. This gun has a lot of family history behind it... My grandfather originally purchased this gun in the 50's for my grandmother to take with her when she went hunting with grand dad. She got her first and only deer with that gun, and my father used that gun one late night to take out a bobcat that was terrorizing the hunting and sled dogs in the pens. He took a VERY low light shot, at about 9PM into a tree, and the cat stopped growling. They couldn't get to it to take it down outta the tree, and the next morning my late aunt walked under the tree to look. Well the carcase of "The biggest damn bobcat I've ever seen" (said my grandfather) chose that exact moment to fall lifelessly out of the tree, and land on my aunt, scaring the hell out of her. My mother and her siblings used to like to play pranks on my grandfather, and would from time-to-time, take animal pelts and put them onto saw horses to see what would happen. One day in particular, my grandfather came into the driveway to find 4 yep that's right 4 BIG bucks around his apple trees near the edge of the forest. He ran into the house, grabbed the M1 and ran back out to the driveway. The kids and my grandmother all watched from a window as he got down on one knee, and rapid fired 4 shots, hitting all of the fake animals. He wasn't pleased to see straw flying all around, and after he calmed down, he saw the humor in it, and they all had a good laugh. My uncle told me about the shots once.... 4 perfect kill shots, at 75yds, in less than 2 seconds! When I was just a lad, grandpa would take me hunting with him. What do you arm a 7 year old, that would be sufficient for a kill shot on a deer, but he would be able to handle, and lug around the woods? Yep, you guessed it, the M1 Carbine. Many a fond memory of that gun, and long treks through the woods with grand dad.

He has been promising me, that the M1 would be mine some day, and Saturday that day finally came. I'm not sure about what the gun is, who makes it, or what it's worth... Frankly, this gun is priceless to me. It's a shooter, and will remain that way. I'll try to put some pictures of it up here soon, but being new to working/cleaning the carbine, I have been looking for resources. I found the following site with a guide, but am asking for some links and such to any additional information.
http://www.subguns.com/biggerhammer/manuals/pdfs/m1_carbine.pdf

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Adam

There's always a good yarn or two that comes with a rifle like that. I'm startiing to get serious about getting one for myself. I'm waiting for the pictures...

Back
Top Bottom