M&P9 - "Auto Slide Release?"

I'm a realative pistol newbie, so please bear with me.

I have a Full Size M&P9mm.

Shot it for the first time over the weekend. Noticed that, when exchanging magazines, 7 times out of 10, the slide will release (chambering a load) when I load the new magazine.

I wouldnt say I am "slamming" the magazine any more than normal. If I do slam the magazine in good, the slide will release on it's own 10 out of 10.

Is this "auto release" a function of the gun, or am I loading the mag too roughly?

See THIS thread.

Seems like a common problem/feature. BTW my full size never did this until this past weekend. I gave it a good cleaning and little lube prior. It may have something to do with it.

Glocks will do that, too at times. I shot another member's M&P, jshooter, and noted the same thing. However, when I brought it to John's attention he said that it had never done that for him.

On a side note, I've been through some classes where this issue was addressed with regard to the Glocks doing it. The consensus was basically that if it does happen, it is up to you to decide whether or not you are comfortable trusting that the gun indeed did strip a round on its own. If you aren't 100% certain, tap, rack, and acquire the target.

As to the question SHOULD this happen? Well, no, I guess it shouldn't. If you feel uncomfortable with it happening, call Smith and Wesson and see what they have to say about the issue.

I can do this with many of my pistols if I give them a good enough jolt and lay them on their side when I do it. I don't mind the added feature.

Hey Starvin,

I have the same experience as you see in the post that eisenhow copied below. I have to say that now after putting a couple '000 rounds through the gun, its a great feature. [smile] Now that I'm used to it, reloading is lightening fast and I wish my other guns did it. It may/ may not be by design but in competition, its great to have. It happens 100% of the time for me with my full size 9mm. Its one less thing to think about during a reload. Drop a mag, re-insert the new one and quickly get back on target. Its become a fluid motion after spending on time with it.

My good friends USP does that. He loves it, I don't so much. I'm comfortable with it happening but I also have the fear of a slam fire in the back of my mind.

Someone hit the nail on the head earlier when they said it's all about how comfortable you are with it happening.

Thanks everyone!

Glad to see it's common. It doesnt bother me hardly at all, I'll just have to be sure not to forget that other guns may not do this. I like fast reloads :)

My M&P 40 does it from time to time as well. Like everyone else has stated its one less step. If I am putting a mag in the well with ammo in it, I am either getting ready to shot, or lock an load before I put it in my gun safe anyways.

I am extra careful after I got the web of my thumb pinched when that happened with my new M&P. Ouch.

I've had the 'auto' slide release happen reliably for me with a G21, 2 different M&P 45s and a Sig 2340. Wouldn't happen in a slow <yawn> just loading here at the range reload, had to be 'reload pistol NOW' speeds. I liked it - but if any of them became unpredictable, it would have annoyed the crap out of me.

I can't say anything about anyone elses M&P 9mm, but I have an early model, and it never sends the slide forward automatically unless i send the mag home with force. I quite like it too.

Every glock I ever had has done this , actually I am not going to lie to you ,I thought it was supposed to do that. I actually thought when it didnt happen , there was something wrong.[thinking]

I also have the fear of a slam fire in the back of my mind.
Why would the possibility of a slam fire be greater when the slide is bumped off the slide stop notch versus you dropping the slide stop out of the slide stop notch?

The slide is starting from the same position. All the parts of the fire control system are in the same position in either occasion.

I'll tell you the answer, the gun is not going to go off if the slide is bumped off the slide stop by the vibration of slamming a magazine home unless something ELSE is wrong with the pistol. If you are going to have a slam fire you are going to have it no matter how the slide goes into battery.

It might help understanding how firearms work.

Back
Top Bottom