• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M&P22 compact?

arcticzr600

NES Member
So after joining HSC and my wife getting her LTC, I foresee a 22lr pistol in my near future. I've narrowed it down to the M&P22 compact and SR22. I was wondering if anyone owns or has shot a M&P22 compact and if it is worth the effort of finding one or I should just go with the SR22?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Personally, the only reason I'd consider putting the effort into finding a M&P22 in MA is if I carried a real M&P, just for consistency's sake. I've never seen an M&P22 for sale here, but I've owned the SR22 and it is a great pistol. You'll have a much easier and cheaper time getting the Ruger - I'd say go for it.

So after joining HSC and my wife getting her LTC, I foresee a 22lr pistol in my near future. I've narrowed it down to the M&P22 compact and SR22. I was wondering if anyone owns or has shot a M&P22 compact and if it is worth the effort of finding one or I should just go with the SR22?

Thanks guys!

both are solid choices.

the M&P 22 has same internal mechanism as the walther PPQ 22LR, which is internal hammer fired but it behaves like a striker fired gun in terms of controls and feel. overall I have found the M&P 22 and PPQ 22 are fantastic.

the SR22 also great choice and probably better value. if you can find one manufactured in Prescott AZ I would go with that...the newer models are made in Mayodan NC. the finish seems a bit rougher and I've heard some stories of lemons although cannot confirm any of this myself. on the flip side Ruger's CS is second to none, so most of the complainers are just too lazy to contact Ruger and let them fix it.

a few small beefs I've had with the SR22 design:
- heavily stacking DA pull
- thumbs safety/decocker seems reversed from all other frame mounted safeties. the decocker orientation is correct (down to decock) but flip it up to disengage safety? WTF.

I have used both. I feel that the M&P 22 is far superior to the SR22. Built better and much more fun to shoot. I was going to buy a ruger then my friend let me borrow his for awhile. I was a little disappointed. I ended up going with a 22 conversion kit for my p226 instead.

I have used both. I feel that the M&P 22 is far superior to the SR22. Built better and much more fun to shoot. I was going to buy a ruger then my friend let me borrow his for awhile. I was a little disappointed. I ended up going with a 22 conversion kit for my p226 instead.

^^^ This is what I have as well.

I have two M&P22 Compacts, with a group of rounds through both. Among other things, I use them as "loaner guns" during NRA Basic Pistol. I also like them at a new-shooter introduction gun.

Great weapons. Here are the biggest personal reasons why I like them over the SR22:

1. Normal manual of arms: the safety/decocker on the SR22 works opposite of how other safeties work, i.e. down is on, up is off. This can be confusing to new shooters, and a "habit" you need to "unlearn" for other weapons. The M&P22 has a normal down/off, up/on safety.

2. Full size analog: the M&P22 Compact is within a whisker or so of the M&P Shield in terms of size, and has the same controls, sights, etc. It's a great companion trainer to the full-size gun, if you so choose.

35jcvf7.jpg

3. The mag safety takes literally 30 secs to remove, and doesn't alter the gun in any way.

The M&P22 Compact is a huge improvement over the full-sized M&P22. The Compact is made here in the US, and has an aluminum alloy slide. The full-size M&P22 is made by Walther (Umarex, actually), and has the zinc alloy (ZAMAK) slide.

One thing to keep in mind, and it might be a deal-breaker for you. I don't know the particulars of MA law, but the M&P22 Compact (both the suppressor-ready version and the "regular" version) has a threaded barrel (removable barrel "cap"). I don't know if that's a no-go item for MA. I know you can find the SR22 with a plain barrel.

As another plus, with a 3.56" barrel, the M&P22 Compact keeps even regular bulk-pack ammo subsonic, and it's a very quiet suppressor host.

dreg4l.jpg

I don't think HK has any available kits. That's what I like about Sig. They make a good factory conversion kit. By using this instead of the 22 ruger or M&p I can practice all the time with my main gun. And if I want to let a new shooter use it there is absolutely no recoil in that all metal full size pistol.
But I still feel that the m&p 22 is the most fun 22 ive ever used.

Shoot a m&p full size .22, in a nut shell....hate full sized m&ps but really like this .22. I can imagine the compact is just as good. Yeah, yeah, it's a walther but the delivery system is the same, good stuff.

I have the PPQ .22, I'd consider that as well, it's made in the Umarex factory but it's really well made. Good analog to striker fired (no-safety) guns like Glocks.

I went through the same analysis for my first pistol as well, and convinced myself I wanted the S&W .22 Compact. As noted before, I had a very difficult time finding one in MA, so I eventually bought the SR22 instead, and I've had no complaints so far. I've still got my eyes open for a .22 Compact if one ever comes up for sale in MA.

another vote here for the sr22. ive had one since they came out. i have over 5k rounds through it and have no problems.

Last edited:
I have an SR22 and it is not a bad gun for the money. It was a little picky about ammo for the first 500 or so rounds. It seems better now. I dont shoot it much. I bought it to teach my wife to shoot

Last edited:
I would love to grab an M&P .22C a friend of mine has one with a laser on it and it's a blast to shoot.
Sadly I can't get him to sell it to me, and finding one here in Mass is almost impossible,
so the SR22 looks like the .22 I'm going to pick up

Back
Top Bottom