• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M&P2.0

stinx

NES Member
Was at my local shop today and fondled an M&P2.0 I Never thought I would find a gun with a worse trigger then the original M&P with the Ma trigger. Well I was wrong, the trigger on the 2.0 was horrific, it sucked so bad it actually made the gen 1 M&P trigger feel like a tuned target trigger. The shop said that the trigger weight is 12+pounds and that they checked the trigger weight with trigger pull gauge on all the 2.0 they got in and all are similar. YMMV

free state version of the M&P 2.0 has a very nice trigger. i'm please with mine. like other M&P's the striker develops a burr after ~1500 rds that results in the trigger becoming gritty. a quick polish job removes the burr. it seems to be caused by the striker moving over the sear when the slide goes rearward.

i overall really dig my 2.0, much more than i thought i would. that being said both the 2.0's sear design and the slide stop mechanism appear more complex than the original design. no matter how well designed, increased complexity is a bad thing. but if i stop thinking so hard and just shoot the thing, I find it's phenomenal at the range. if you really want a 2.0 just get a free state model. don't dick around with a mass trigger one unless you're willing to dump $$ into an apex.

i recently went back to a G17 and am reminded how fantastic of a pistol these are. everybody is G19-crazy but i find the G17 a notch smoother and easier to shoot accurately. compared to the M&P 2.0 the G17 is substantially lighter and a bit harder to shoot accurately, although I suspect much of this is the weight difference. the M&P 2.0 has like near zero recoil. it's freakish. overall I prefer the G17 but not by much. the 2.0 has some big advantages (easier to shoot, great sights, nice machining, stipped grip, perfect ejection patterns). aside from the increased complexity, the M&P 2.0 is a step forward from the original design. it's improved without question. on the contrary I see the glock gen 5 as a step backwards....so if I had a choice between an M&P 2.0 or a glock gen 5 (i never thought i would say this) I would take the 2.0 without question.

the canik TP9SF is also a gem. it's pretty hard to justify buying an M&P 2.0 to then drop another $120 on a apex kit when one can get a phenomenal trigger on the canik for under $350. the M&P 10 rd mags still blow. they're way too tight and basically fit 9 rds at best. to accomodate 10 rds they require a coil to be removed and the internal side of the follower to be dremeled down. it's horseshit that S&W hasn't fixed their mags. on the other hand the canik 10rd mags fit 10 rds no problem and easily seat on a closed slide the way mags are supposed to work. i've never had a malfunction w my canik. it is a keeper. i feel like most threads about polymer pistols end up with a post from mikelawtown and I about how much we dig our Canik TP9's.

Last edited:
A burr every 1500 rounds?? That's not a defect, it's a key product feature. It lets you know it's time for a deep-takedown to check all internals. LOL

How is it Canik can sell pistols in MA with a decent trigger and S&W can't? Wouldn't every gun sold in MA have to meet the State "safety" requirements? I get if people can get something from out of state shipped in, but it just seems strange that they could sell one in-state that has a better trigger. Unless something like the Canik has "other" safety features that allow the better trigger?

How is it Canik can sell pistols in MA with a decent trigger and S&W can't? Wouldn't every gun sold in MA have to meet the State "safety" requirements? I get if people can get something from out of state shipped in, but it just seems strange that they could sell one in-state that has a better trigger. Unless something like the Canik has "other" safety features that allow the better trigger?

Corporate Risk Tolerance.
Bascially, 'cause lawyers.

Stock ,isn’t it crazy ? They are not bigger than S&W but can do it.

Attachments

• 6AC31935-C58F-45F3-BB80-60678F43E05D.jpeg
    6AC31935-C58F-45F3-BB80-60678F43E05D.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 29
From what I heard years ago, if a pistol is labeled double action, it must have a 10lb trigger. Police agency's require a double action gun. So S&W and Glock call these guns DA so they can get police contracts. If it's labeled single action no 10lb trigger needed. I think the VP9 is labeled SA, so it got in. The manufacturer calls the gun DA or SA.

At this point I don't know how valid this is.

That would make sense, if that's how it works.
From what I heard years ago, if a pistol is labeled double action, it must have a 10lb trigger. Police agency's require a double action gun. So S&W and Glock call these guns DA so they can get police contracts. If it's labeled single action no 10lb trigger needed. I think the VP9 is labeled SA, so it got in. The manufacturer calls the gun DA or SA.

At this point I don't know how valid this is.

Interested in the 2.0 compact. Anyone have one of these things yet behind the wall?

Wondering if the og c cripple mags work?
The full size mags work, but obviously stick out.

What is the procedure for getting free state versions? I have a relative there who is just getting into firearms.
Idk if i'd be telling an MA guy just getting into firearms to be trying to get one, I'd tell him to get comfortable with a gun he can buy off the shelf first.
AFAIK either you buy it off someone who moved to the state with it or it involves buying the gun in separate pieces. So you can buy a slide and a frame legally in the state but not a completed firearm. Same thing with Glocks.

Checked out the M&P 2 today. This 2 version has the worse trigger I have ever tried. Must have been 15 lbs and it breaks to far back making the heavy trigger worse. Even the first first M&P was not this bad.

I know most will get a trigger job or Apex, but this is ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom