M&P Sight Pusher

I searched the forums locally and using google and only found one person who posted they had one, robmcd but he is out in berkshire county.

"https://www.google.com/search?q=google+m%26p+sight+pusher+site:northeastshooters.com"

I was wondering if someone South Shore or Metrowest has one of the Marylang Gun Works pushers - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/718524/maryland-gun-works-front-and-rear-sight-tool-s-and-w-m-and-p. I willl buy the beers [cheers]

I borrowed Gillhams Universal sight pusher (thank you) but it just doesn't have the grip on the slide nor the travel needed to remove / push the sight in. BTW, I am trying to help a friend out, this isn't my slide. I got the rear slide out after much difficulty but the universal just isn't meant for this.

Thanks in advance.

I have had mixed luck with fitting sights using a "sight pusher". Every M&P sight I removed/installed in 2013 (15-20) was done using a brass punch, bench block, & a hammer. Micro files are available at Home Deposit or Lowes if you need to remove some material. Nothing beats a good punch set & a hammer (IMO). Good Luck

I brought my Shield slide to Lou and watched him punch it out with a few whacks of a hammer and what looked like a brass punch.

Thanks to you both but like I said I'm helping out a friend. Because of that I am not going to take my punches to it and I'm not going to pay to bring it to a shop. I thought it would be as easy as pushing glock sights... not even close. If it comes to that point I'll point him in the direction of a good shop to get the rear installed and the front replaced. I'll give it a week or so on here to see if anyone has that tool.

Thanks again.

I searched the forums locally and using google and only found one person who posted they had one, robmcd but he is out in berkshire county.

"https://www.google.com/search?q=google+m%26p+sight+pusher+site:northeastshooters.com"

I was wondering if someone South Shore or Metrowest has one of the Marylang Gun Works pushers - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/718524/maryland-gun-works-front-and-rear-sight-tool-s-and-w-m-and-p. I willl buy the beers [cheers]

I borrowed Gillhams Universal sight pusher (thank you) but it just doesn't have the grip on the slide nor the travel needed to remove / push the sight in. BTW, I am trying to help a friend out, this isn't my slide. I got the rear slide out after much difficulty but the universal just isn't meant for this.

Thanks in advance.

I've got one. Can we meet at Mass Rifle sometime?

I have the tool, but the M&P slides are terrible. I had a universal tool that I used FOR YEARS for 20+ Glocks and other firearms (1911, XD, etc). Anyway, I could not get the M&P sights off with it, it actually bend the large bolt screw on which the pusher(s) travel. The slide sight cuts of the M&P are extremely tight and undercut. So I went out and bought that specialized tool, and it took so much force to get the sight to move that it ended up marking up the side of the slide where it rested up against the tool. I kid you not.

I got p*ssed off and took a punch and a hammer and finally smashed off the sights and smashed on the new sights. It was took A LOT of power too, these were not small whacks with the hammer. The sights were undamaged and unmarked, unlike the slide itself due to the slide pusher. I have never been so pissed off at a slide before in my life. Really, I am *still* pissed off about it. Why would you make the sight cut so undersized? It just speaks of poor quality or manufacturing tolerances. I like my M&P but it definitely made me decide to not get another one.

I would definitely go with a brass punch and a hammer.

Thanks to you both but like I said I'm helping out a friend. Because of that I am not going to take my punches to it and I'm not going to pay to bring it to a shop. I thought it would be as easy as pushing glock sights... not even close. If it comes to that point I'll point him in the direction of a good shop to get the rear installed and the front replaced. I'll give it a week or so on here to see if anyone has that tool.

Thanks again.

FYI the Shield sight pusher doesn't work on removing a lot of the factory installed sights.
Just to hard to get enough leverage to turn the small handle on the pusher.

I have used sight pushers for years to adjust rear sights but not to install or remove them. This is best done with a punch and a sturdy vise. If you are installing an after market sight and it won't fit, you may have to remove some metal as many of these sights are deliberately made over sized. After installation and sighting in, I use a little green "wicking" Loctite to secure the sight.

- - - Updated - - -

PS Glock sights are plastic, much easier to move than steel.

I've got one. Can we meet at Mass Rifle sometime?
Thanks milktree, I will shoot you a PM and might take you up on that.

I have the tool, but the M&P slides are terrible..... Really, I am *still* pissed off about it. Why would you make the sight cut so undersized? It just speaks of poor quality or manufacturing tolerances. I like my M&P but it definitely made me decide to not get another one.
I would definitely go with a brass punch and a hammer.
That is exactly how I felt. It took a lot of effort to the point where I thought I was going to break something to get the rear sight to move on the way out. I was using a pusher similar to one of these.
$T2eC16VHJHEE9ny2rS-4BQBYmiRlvw~~60_3.JPG

The pusher is not able to be flipped and one side is slanted for glock sights, the other is on a 90. There wasn't enough travel in the clamping system to the slide and in the opposite direction for the flat side of the pusher to push the new rear sight back in. I had my buddy, the owner of the gun, whacking a rubber mallet with a hammer after I started the rear sight into the slide. We made it 10% and it won't go any further. Ugghhh, M&P....

Make sure you push them out from the correct side....
Rgr, I was as far I can I tell. I am pushing L > R on the removal (towards ejection side) and reversing on the install

I have used sight pushers for years to adjust rear sights but not to install or remove them. This is best done with a punch and a sturdy vise. If you are installing an after market sight and it won't fit, you may have to remove some metal as many of these sights are deliberately made over sized. After installation and sighting in, I use a little green "wicking" Loctite to secure the sight.
Since I was just trying to help a friend out I didn't want to get into any modification on this. If I can't push them in with the correct tool without damaging the slide or the sights then I will just put the OEM back in and have him bring it to a smith. Also, my punches are gracie steel, I don't have any brass to attempt this with, if it were my own gun.

Thanks for all the help so far, if anyone else has a tool closer to SS please chime in.

Last edited:
Hit the handle/knob of the pusher with a hammer. I speak from experience. Like I said: sight cuts on M&P are a joke.

Sure.. Why break a pusher?

I can get the sights off with out using the pusher or damaging the sights.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks milktree, I will shoot you a PM and might take you up on that.

That is exactly how I felt. It took a lot of effort to the point where I thought I was going to break something to get the rear sight to move on the way out. I was using a pusher similar to one of these.
$T2eC16VHJHEE9ny2rS-4BQBYmiRlvw~~60_3.JPG

The pusher is not able to be flipped and one side is slanted for glock sights, the other is on a 90. There wasn't enough travel in the clamping system to the slide and in the opposite direction for the flat side of the pusher to push the new rear sight back in. I had my buddy, the owner of the gun, whacking a rubber mallet with a hammer after I started the rear sight into the slide. We made it 10% and it won't go any further. Ugghhh, M&P....

Rgr, I was as far I can I tell. I am pushing L > R on the removal (towards ejection side) and reversing on the install

Since I was just trying to help a friend out I didn't want to get into any modification on this. If I can't push them in with the correct tool without damaging the slide or the sights then I will just put the OEM back in and have him bring it to a smith. Also, my punches are gracie steel, I don't have any brass to attempt this with, if it were my own gun.

Thanks for all the help so far, if anyone else has a tool closer to SS please chime in.

I have one of those pushers . I bought it to try it out on the Shield............................It broke..

A huge thank you to milktree. I met him at his club and used the correct tool for the job. That Maryland Gun Works sight pusher is built like a brick sh.t house. I highly recommend that if you are going to change m&p sights you seek one of these out. You could change then out in 5 minutes with some practice.

Thanks again for going out of your way and giving up some of your time. + rep inbound milktree.

-tapytalk

Back
Top Bottom