• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M&P shoots low with resolution

If you don;t want to explain and only want to give a hard time find another thread with someone that will bother to take your abuse.

I'm only looking for help and pointers from constructive people. It also looks like other people have this same problem.
It's not polite to tell people they shoot like shit. It goes no where and breeds contempt.

I'll let the moderators know you're causing trouble on the boards.

[rolleyes]

The problem is caused by a combination of poor trigger and improper technique. The MA trigger is absolutely terrible and really screws with a proper trigger pull in the hands of an inexperienced shooter, which, from your comments, you certainly are. Fix your trigger so you can shoot it properly, rather than hiding your problem with a different sight. There is a reason everyone in MA gets trigger jobs, and it's not because the sights are wrong.

As for the politeness comments, I suggest you grow thicker skin.

[rolleyes]

The problem is caused by a combination of poor trigger and improper technique. The MA trigger is absolutely terrible and really screws with a proper trigger pull in the hands of an inexperienced shooter, which, from your comments, you certainly are. Fix your trigger so you can shoot it properly, rather than hiding your problem with a different sight. There is a reason everyone in MA gets trigger jobs, and it's not because the sights are wrong.

trigger first.

[rolleyes]

I put a laser on the pistol (mine is specifically an M&P40) and it stayed dead straight through my trigger pull.

While 99.9% of the time the problem is the shooter in these situations, the above quoted from the OP suggests that this MIGHT actually be the .1%.

i've run into several folks who have filed down the front sight on

SW guns to correct aiming problems....

Filing down the front sight is the easiest way to deal with the problem, unfortunately you lose the dot. When I do a S&W front sight I file the dot off with a 32 LPI checkering file and then reduce the height to get the proper point of impact, leaving me with an all black, serrated front sight. I hesitate to offer this method as advice because a lot of shooters want to keep their white dot; the only way to do this is with a new sight of the proper height.

Most S&W semi autos have fixed sights, so windage is adjusted by moving the rear sight in its dovetail. Using a punch or drift is a hit or miss proposition. I use a sight pusher which greatly simplifies the procedure.

Once I realized that I never adjusted my expensive Bomar rear sight after the pistol was sighted in, I became interested in fixed sights. I found that I could duplicate the Bomar sight picture with fixed sights for a fraction of the cost. This led to the purchase of a sight pusher to simplify the sight in procedure.

Filing down the front sight is the easiest way to deal with the problem, unfortunately you lose the dot. When I do a S&W front sight I file the dot off with a 32 LPI checkering file and then reduce the height to get the proper point of impact, leaving me with an all black, serrated front sight. I hesitate to offer this method as advice because a lot of shooters want to keep their white dot; the only way to do this is with a new sight of the proper height.

Most S&W semi autos have fixed sights, so windage is adjusted by moving the rear sight in its dovetail. Using a punch or drift is a hit or miss proposition. I use a sight pusher which greatly simplifies the procedure.

Once I realized that I never adjusted my expensive Bomar rear sight after the pistol was sighted in, I became interested in fixed sights. I found that I could duplicate the Bomar sight picture with fixed sights for a fraction of the cost. This led to the purchase of a sight pusher to simplify the sight in procedure.

I hesitated at this option. For the exact reasons you just said (losing the white dot).

BUT!

I figured if push came to shove I could file the front sight down and instead of living with a black blade white could be painted on the entire rearward face of the front sight.

Hmmm . . . It's taking kind of a long time for the new front sight to arrive (assuming it's coming from Mass).

While 99.9% of the time the problem is the shooter in these situations, the above quoted from the OP suggests that this MIGHT actually be the .1%.

Failure to notice the laser jumping could just as easily be due to inexperience and flinching. The symptoms are pathognomic for a inexperienced shooter with bad trigger.

I hesitated at this option. For the exact reasons you just said (losing the white dot).

BUT!

I figured if push came to shove I could file the front sight down and instead of living with a black blade white could be painted on the entire rearward face of the front sight.

Hmmm . . . It's taking kind of a long time for the new front sight to arrive (assuming it's coming from Mass).

Don't do it, you'll be sorry. Go with factory sight if you want a white dot.

@OP. Hear your pain. It's not the trigger, I did a trigger job and still shot the same. Low. I do have a nicer trigger now though.

All other guns I used had reasonable groupings on target, this was 12-18" low at 50' (BTW, I was extremely impressed by a previous poster who kept saying they were dead on at 50 yds). All others were with Sigs, so I am looking at getting a Sig, or somehow hoping a new sight will fix this.

I don't consider myself to be an expert pistol marksman, but am fairly confident in my technique and abilities. Even if I was 99% sure that it was the sights, I think I'd shoot it from a good solid rest or a vise before I mess with the sights, just to be absolutely sure that it wasn't me. IMHO, there are just too many variables when shooting a new gun offhand.

Last edited:
FYI, if your M&P shoots low (like 5" at 7 yards or so). S&W will send you a replacement sight with a lower profile to correct the problem.

I wracked my brain and resources trying to figure out the problem (flinching? trigger pull? ammo weight?). I put a laser on the pistol (mine is specifically an M&P40) and it stayed dead straight through my trigger pull. It shot a little higher with heavier ammo.

I let some other guys try it and they shot low too.
I even tried using other sighting techniques (even though I use the sight technique that results in the highest shot (I think it's #3 where the front sight white dot is dead center on the target) still shot low.

I want to use this for home protection so it was totally unacceptable.

After banging my head against the wall I called S&W and the guy said "oh, you need a lower front sight, hold please." 5 seconds pass, he comes back I give him my address and he says "It's in the mail"

YAY S&W. You guys are pretty awesome.

I'm a novice shooter, but, as expressed by others, a fairly good shot. I experienced exactly what you are referring to with the M&P: low and left. FWIW, I experienced nothing but "spot on" accuracy with a variety of guns, most notable the sig 229, sig 229, and the 92fs.

I still haven't received the new front site but S&W has been on vacation and I think they just got back.

I'll update when there's something to update.

Back
Top Bottom