• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M&P Shield

Not a bad deal: http://magguts.com/shop

I like the M&P compact but I've always wished the Shield had the capacity for something closer to 10 rounds. This solved the problem.

For night sights: if you would rather DIY, then I recommend this: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/658993

Easy to use and customer service from the B&J Machine company was tops. Plus, you can have it pay for itself if you install sights for others.

I've shot a few friends Shield's in 9mm and was amazed on how well and tamed it was. It's a great pistol and really considered getting one for summer carry since they're thinner than my G26. With that said, I held out because I didn't like the manual safety. S&W now has it without the manual safety, but with Glock having a new offering of the G43 I'll wait until I can shoot one of those to make up my mind. For the price point, the shield is probably the way to go

Not a bad deal: http://magguts.com/shop

I like the M&P compact but I've always wished the Shield had the capacity for something closer to 10 rounds. This solved the problem.

For night sights: if you would rather DIY, then I recommend this: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/658993

Easy to use and customer service from the B&J Machine company was tops. Plus, you can have it pay for itself if you install sights for others.

I usually carry my Shield 9 in 8+1, can't get closer to 10 than that.....

My go-to carry. I love the little bastard. Sadly I had to get the MA-craptastic trigger, but with an Apex kit it's a great little shooter.

Co-worker from NH got the 'normal' version and I probably wouldn't have mucked with the trigger, as it's not as crisp as my Apex, but it's worlds better than mine was stock.

i have the mp9c. for the price its great and easy to conceal. i keep saying i need a trigger job but i'm getting used to the trigger and sites. mine always goes bang i have maybe 500+ rounds thru it

Am aware of the kits. I know people, firsthand, who received the kit "imstalled" but without the striker block exchanged. None of this is rocket science....i am simply pointing out that I wouldnt let most gunshops do ANY work on my gun if either I can do it or have a smith perform it. you get what you pay for....and there are certainly people out there who get worked on "apex kits". Personally I would want to have all old parts returned to me to confirm things were installed. YMMV.

FWIW, FS did give me back the Apex packaging filled with the stock parts when I got the gun back. I recall looking and believing that the striker block plunger in the package was indeed the stock S&W one. IIRC, the Apex one is distinguishable by a bevel to the bottom edge where the bar engages it; the S&W part does not have the bevel.

I don't know if you're taking about FS in particular or not. They did it correctly for me though.

I have the Shield in .40 and love mine. Trigger was just ok out of the box (I will eventually get an Apex job done) but for an EDC I really enjoy it and have added it to my carry gun staple. I've even thought about buying the 9mm version myself because of how much I've liked this one.

However, I don't think you can go wrong with the SIG 938 in the rosewood, that's one beautiful piece. I would have to say it is the superior gun in function and looks IMO.

Four seasons will supply and install the apex trigger for $99. They did mine on my 9mm shield while I waited.
I also did it myself on my .40 shield, using youtube. No problem.

Love both guns

Honestly, this is what Greg Derr charges for a trigger job. I'd rather a real gun smith do a real trigger job than someone at a gun shop dropping in an apex. YMMV.

Am aware of the kits. I know people, firsthand, who received the kit "imstalled" but without the striker block exchanged. None of this is rocket science....i am simply pointing out that I wouldnt let most gunshops do ANY work on my gun if either I can do it or have a smith perform it. you get what you pay for....and there are certainly people out there who get worked on "apex kits". Personally I would want to have all old parts returned to me to confirm things were installed. YMMV.

Exactly my point

I love my shield, Trigger was fine for me out of box. PP, You are just down the road from me, if you want to arrange a time to try it out.I carry mine in Desantis holster and is comfortable with no real printing problems. Would be more comfortable if I lost 10 pounds.

One of my buddies developed a cracked frame after about 500 rounds with his 40 shield. Sent it back to S&W, they claimed it was bad ammo and refused to help him, except to offer him a replacement frame for $325.

He went out and bought a Glock.

Honestly anything smaller/lighter than a G27 is pretty much awful in .40 S&W anyways. If there was a "line in the sand" (that you do not cross, like Walter Sobchak discusses) the G27 would be right in front of that line. The idea/concept is a mind numbing insanity, kind of awful. It's too bad he had to learn the hard way. The only reason micro/extra small .40s exist is because of the numbskull gun shop kommando factor ("bweah buh wuh 9 miwwumeetah isnt good enuf, bwah!") and possibly maybe, a few PDs/agencies with retardo policies dictating that off duty carry has to be the same caliber and ammo as their duty guns. (I feel bad for these people, not their fault bad policy exists.)

It sucks that S&W didn't fix his gun, though. If they don't want to support it they shouldn't sell it.

-Mike

p.s. get the extended mags for range day (or carry, but especially for range, happy fun time).

Either that, or learn how to shoot with your middle finger (great for short gripped guns and point shooting).

I like mine a lot also. I do wish the chamber was fully supported and the trigger was 1lb lighter, but those are minor issues. Very hot loads i only reload twice (Starts to bulge the cases a bit)

MagGuts work very well. After installation, I load to new capacity and unload. Then I re-load the mags to half capacity overnight so they seat better.

Actually, I just ordered some for my BG 380. They're finally back in stock. http://magguts.com/shop/smith-wesson/sw-bg380

Unfortunately, I had problems with my Magguts and took them out. Proceed with caution and test, test and test.

Last edited:
I have the .40 version and my wife has the 9mm. I enjoy shooting both ( and so does she ). I used to use my my M&P .45c for my CCW choice, I now use my Shield.

$300 is less then my dealer cost! I guess I missed out on that deal too. ;)

Just as an FYI, Atlantic Tactical is not able to sell guns/HP ammo to us civvies as of late due to an ownership change. Per a visit this week they've been bought out by a major LEO supplier and are restricting sales of the good stuff to 'first responders only'

A shame really as they seem like good people plus it's real close...woulda dropped a pretty penny over there for sure but they seem to only want the badge business

Just as an FYI, Atlantic Tactical is not able to sell guns/HP ammo to us civvies as of late due to an ownership change. Per a visit this week they've been bought out by a major LEO supplier and are restricting sales of the good stuff to 'first responders only'

A shame really as they seem like good people plus it's real close...woulda dropped a pretty penny over there for sure but they seem to only want the badge business

Victims ARE the ONLY first responders.

I know you aren't in MA anymore, but for MA residents, a trigger job is a must. I know a few people who have the Shield with a trigger job and love it for shooting and carry. I still need a trigger job on mine.

I just finally got a shield 40 that was for sale at Bobs in Salisbury Ma. Apex Trigger/TruGlo Fiber Night Sites/IWB Holster/150 Rounds of 40 2 mags 349 out the door. It was used but looks basically brand new...

Hey Penny, if you're still considering the Shield... I have one and have carried it almost exclusively for a couple years now. I carry it with the extended mag (8 + 1) and I couldn't be happier. I did lighten up the MA trigger to about 5 or 5.5 lb. I am researching which pair of night sights I want to put on it, probably the Trijicon Night Sight HD.

I am also waiting to see the Glock 43.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just finally got a shield 40 that was for sale at Bobs in Salisbury Ma. Apex Trigger/TruGlo Fiber Night Sites/IWB Holster/150 Rounds of 40 2 mags 349 out the door. It was used but looks basically brand new...

I've had the 40 for a couple of year now and it has always been a pain to shoot, because the grip doesn't leave you with much to hold onto with the recoil of the 40. I recently added some strips of skateboard tape cut similar to grip tape you would buy custom fit for different guns and it has made a difference in me being able to maintain a consistent grip that doesn't move around much with the recoil of the 40. Another thing I did was add a Pearce Pinky extension to one of the 6rd mags, which also adds to the grip. So basically I have a flat 6rd for pocket carry, a 6rd with the pinky for IWB carry and the 7 rd extended mag, which would only serve as a backup.

http://www.amazon.com/Pearce-Grips-Magazine-Extension-Shield/dp/B00HB1SYCC

I have the 9mm shield that I bought from a fellow NES...he said it had an apex done but I still find it a lil mushy..any recommendations or is that normal? I'm coming from mostly glock stock triggers.

Picked up my 9mm Shield from FS, went straight to Business End Customs for trigger job, added Tallon sandpaper grips and custom Klydex holster. Its a great every day carry. Very happy with it.

I won an M&P from Four Seasons in one of the NES giveaways. The slide release was so tight you could hardly release it with your thumb. The mags were also extremely resistant to load. Maybe that's why they were giving it away, all I know is it was a total piece of crap.

Back
Top Bottom