M&P Shield

I love my shield 9, haven't carried it much lately since I picked up a G36. I have the apex trigger and crimson trace on mine, never had any problems with it.

Mine's a safe queen. Overpaid for a 9mm I planned to carry. Had FTF issues, sent it back to S&W and by the time they shipped it back I had bought a Glock 27. Never looked back and that's been my EDC since. I still want to have Lou at Business End do a trigger job since I overpaid and won't sell for a loss.

I have a 9mm Shield with the Apex trigger job, Ameriglo sights, Talon grips, and a Crossbreed holster. Despite the Shield having a relatively short barrel, I don't have any problem putting 24 rounds into a 6" group at 30' shooting a round per second. I think it is a fantastic, reliable, lightweight pistol and even recommended it to my sister for her CCW. I have faith in it.

I like my Shield 9mm.
The only issue I ever had with it was firing Winchester white box 115 grain.
Shot lots of Magtech through it with no issues.
Where would one get an Apex trigger job in south central Ma.? And cost?

The NH trigger is ok. The MA trigger is the one that needs to be worked on. Try a dry fire at a NH store and see how you like it. For the money the Shield is a very good, reliable, easy to shoot and accurate gun. The 8+1 mag or even the 7+1 mag (in 9MM) gives you a good ammo load for this small of a gun.

You can pick up a APEX Shield carry kit which is springs, sear and striker stop for about $80-$90. I put one in a M&P and it was not hard to do. Apex has videos. I have no idea what a gunsmith charges.

Seeing that you're in NH, you can buy the one with the decent trigger. That was my only complaint. After a trigger job it's a very nice gun. I also put on some tacky talon style grips. The $299 price was my incentive to buy.

excellent 9mm. >2k rounds w/o a hiccup. very easy to shoot.

This. It's my EDC rig and probably the best single stack 9 for the $$. I'm even running the stock MA trigger and I still would recommend it.

Last edited:
well, there's the rub.

I prefer to be able to take it out of the box and not "upgrade" it a bunch. I may just wait until the 43 comes out and try them both out side by side. (I can't believe I am considering a Block)

Gun is worthless w/o a trigger job, or at least sear replacement (40$) Other than that, It's a nice little gun.

Wished I grabbed one when Atlanta was selling them at $300. Was there about to buy one, didn't do it, went back a week later and LEO only sales.

I had BEC do the carry package and it's a solid firearm. You're welcome to come up to Hudson NH and put some rounds through it and my XDS for comparison

Four seasons will supply and install the apex trigger for $99. They did mine on my 9mm shield while I waited.
I also did it myself on my .40 shield, using youtube. No problem.

Love both guns

Last edited:
As much as I like FS, I have heard that w apex kits they dont install the striker block as it requires pushing the rear sight. I havent personally confirmed this but if its true thats somewhat crappy because the rounded/polished striker block in the apex kit certainly improves the trigger uptake.

As much as I like FS, I have heard that w apex kits they dont install the striker block as it requires pushing the rear sight. I havent personally confirmed this but if its true thats somewhat crappy because the rounded/polished striker block in the apex kit certainly improves the trigger uptake.

if they are installing the carry kit, of course they install the ulltimate striker block. That is integral to the kit and there is no reason anyone would leave it out. Now, if the kit they are installing is only the action enhancement trigger, then that is what they install, the aluminum trigger only.

i think sometimes people get the different kits mixed up or don't know jack. Thanks.

On the gun I did myself, I installed the ultimate trigger block. The one done by fs feels the same, to me, but I didn't interrogate them about that or watch them do it...it's on their website phrased like this so might be worth asking about it since it doesn't say "kit"

Improve the trigger pull of your S&W M&P or Shield with an APEX trigger.
$99.95 installed.

By the way, installing the block does require punching the rear sight, but with the proper tool (the mini press deal) that is no big deal. I would assume fs seasons has one...

wasn't that big of a deal for me when I did it myself, even withOUT the proper tool. Again, you tube to the rescue

We at the Powderhorn sell and install the full apex trigger kits. We normally stock the standard carry and the competition kits. My name is Greg and I am the manager here as well as the Smith Armorer that does the work. We have the sight pusher and can usually have the whole kit installed in 15 minutes or less... depending on how busy the shop is. Our price for kit is $92.99 and installation is free with purchase. Swing on my if you get the chance and if you purchase both pistol and kit from us we can surely work out a deal. We stock the shields in both configurations (with safety or without). Give me a shout at the shop anytime @5087758975 or reach me via email @ [email protected]

I shoot better with the SHield thant the KAHR or the Glock 26.
Tested them all and decided to go with the shield, did not regret it.
It is comfortable enough so that I can use it both as a carry, and a range gun. So I don't have to pack my 226 all the time.
And once you develop your skill with the shield, you'll be even much better with a full size.
I find it very easy to pocket carry.
If money was not the issue, perhaps the Springfield XDS might be a better option, don't know.
MFS has both the Sield and the G26 for rent. Try them out.
I am a SIG fan, and would love the 938, but the cost, plus the SOA action not being good for carry, stopped me from buying one.

Another great option is the new Ruger LC9S. The new striker fired LC9 is out with a great stock trigger which beats out the shield any day of the week. No work needed just take it out and have fun. Priced right around the same money as the Shield but no extra work needed.

Gun is worthless w/o a trigger job, or at least sear replacement (40$) Other than that, It's a nice little gun.

It's passable if you buy a non-****ed up version of the gun. The MA trigger is horrendous, buying an MA shield is a waste of money, particularly given the regular ones get rugswept all the time. [laugh]

-Mike

Any thoughts on this? Anyone have one? Pros and cons?

One of my buddies developed a cracked frame after about 500 rounds with his 40 shield. Sent it back to S&W, they claimed it was bad ammo and refused to help him, except to offer him a replacement frame for $325.

He went out and bought a Glock.

Love the Shield, have one in 9mm. Great ccw, summer, shorts, t-shirt, IWB don't know its there. Had to have the trigger done and now as good as a free state.

For me, the shield fit into the 'just right' size category.
I was carrying a G27 but decided it was just a little to bulky IWB for me.
Picked up a PM9 and found it super comfortable IWB but I didn't love shooting it; the trigger pull is a little too long and the grip is a little too small. (I generally wear size L gloves, though lately I find I can squeeze into some mediums - namely mechanix gloves which I prefer as tight as possible for the extra dexterity).

I heard about Atlantic Tactical's sale ($299 for shields) back in December. Then had a chance to shoot my brother's Shield 9 (w stock MA trigger). Realized 1- it was much more comfortable for me to grip, 2- I shot it waay better than the PM9 and 3- it's thin/ narrow enough to be just as comfortable IWB as the pm9.

Picked up a safety-less shield in 9mm at AT for 299 in January. Few days later was at FS and had them install an Apex kit for $99 while I waited.

I asked about night sights at the same time and was told that they didn't have them and couldn't do them anyway as they didn't have a sight pusher. I though that was kinda strange and assume they must have drifted the rear sight to install the kit; there was visible red loc-tight around the rear sight when I got the gun back which I took to mead it had def been R&R'd...

So yeah, would def recommend a Shield.

This thread is the first I'm hearing about the mag guts +1 option. Gonna look into that...

AA

if they are installing the carry kit, of course they install the ulltimate striker block. That is integral to the kit and there is no reason anyone would leave it out. Now, if the kit they are installing is only the action enhancement trigger, then that is what they install, the aluminum trigger only.

i think sometimes people get the different kits mixed up or don't know jack. Thanks.

Am aware of the kits. I know people, firsthand, who received the kit "imstalled" but without the striker block exchanged. None of this is rocket science....i am simply pointing out that I wouldnt let most gunshops do ANY work on my gun if either I can do it or have a smith perform it. you get what you pay for....and there are certainly people out there who get worked on "apex kits". Personally I would want to have all old parts returned to me to confirm things were installed. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom