• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M&P Shield 9mm

Candidly when one becomes "of a certain age" one begins to appreciate Xs Sights. I have them on my M&P and love them. Sounds like you have a very nice pistol [smile]

I'm 52 and do need to use reading glasses. But I absolutely despise XS sights. What works better for me is a narrow front sight and a wide rear notch. On my full size 1911 competition gun, I have a 0.1" wide front post and a 0.140 wide rear notch. On my Glock 23, I have a 0.125" wide front post and a 0.155" wide rear notch.

I find that this setup allows me to focus on the front sight and, unlike the XS sights, still allows me get decent accuracy.

I through a HiViz front sight on my shield. Getting out proved to be a little difficult but muuuuuuuch easier than getting it back in. Mainly because I was using a hammer and punch and didn't want to hurt the sight....shiiiiiiit i''m not even sure if it's centered. Could be a little off but when you eyeball it, it looks correct. Haven't shot it since the install though.

Nice - Thanks for sharing.
Is just the parallax from the camera angle or does the front sight look a bit off to the left in the second Pic ?

Yes, they are off right now...

I haven't sighted the gun in yet.

I am left handed and have found that I like my front sight to the left a little and my rear sight to the right a little...

It's just how I have set up my sights, it works for me [wink]... Now if someone else were to shoot my guns they would be off for that person...

- - - Updated - - -

Candidly when one becomes "of a certain age" one begins to appreciate Xs Sights. I have them on my M&P and love them. Sounds like you have a very nice pistol [smile]

I agree, my eyes are not the greatest anylonger, to many years of cutting torches and welding..

The Big Dot sight just works great for me...

Last edited:
I use glow-in the dark fishing lure jig paint. Very durable & only needs very little light exposure to glow, still looks close to white in normal light. Needed to do this because front white dot paint feel out on my full size M&P so I did it to my shield also.

I've got some Rem Oil in the house. Should I use it on my Shield? What are you guys lubing your guns with?

I've got some Rem Oil in the house. Should I use it on my Shield? What are you guys lubing your guns with?

It doesn't matter what oil you use on it. Seriously.

Rem Oil will work fine. If you want to spend a zillion dollars an ounce, get the latest tacticool oil being peddled in the gun rags. If you are cheap like me use motor oil.

I've been using Ballistol. Comes in big bottles and is a CLP. I used to do Hoppes #9 and remoil, but I find the single step solution easier.

OK just got done doing my M&P 45...

Stock Trigger... 10 Lbs

APEX Kit with stock M&P trigger spring... 6.5 Lbs

APEX Kit with APEX trigger spring... 5.25 Lbs

Very nice feel to that one also...

I use glow-in the dark fishing lure jig paint. Very durable & only needs very little light exposure to glow, still looks close to white in normal light. Needed to do this because front white dot paint feel out on my full size M&P so I did it to my shield also.

Any particular brand ? I tried this stuff and I'm not impressed. Concentrated Glow in The Dark Paint for Gun Sights and Fishing Lures 4 6ml Vial | eBay It has a gritty/lumpy texture and didn't adhere well at all. Not that bright either. The seller told me to cut it w/drops of water. It didn't help.

Northshore Firearms in Middleton had one 2 days ago. Probably the only thing in the store that wasn't price gouged.

Northshore Firearms in Middleton had one 2 days ago. Probably the only thing in the store that wasn't price gouged.

Thanks. My son just get his LTC A (home from college this week) and was hoping to locate one (he's buying) such that I can shoot it after he goes back to finish his senior year. lol

lol good plan. I'm most likely the same age as your son and it was my first carry gun (kind of) and I love it.

Never touched the rear sights after what I read. Only installed a HiViz front sight.

Never touched the rear sights after what I read. Only installed a HiViz front sight.

Don't be afraid to try a remove your rear sight...

Mine came out easy, it was snug, but it came out...

My XS Big Dots went in easy...

Now all I have to do is get out to sight them in...

Good Luck...

Back
Top Bottom