• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M&P Shield 9mm issue?

I haven't read anywhere where anyone else is having this problem so maybe it is just me. I love my Shield as an everyday carry but a couple times I have removed the gun from the holster to find that the magazine has been released. It usually only slides out a 1/4" or so but the fact that this has happened at all is BAD in my book. I use 2 holsters and it has happened top both of them. I use a right handed IWB Foxx leather/kydex holster at 5 o'clock and a Foxx OWB leather/kydex holster usually in the 2 oclock position. These seem like very typical holsters on the market. Has anyone else experianced this? What can I do to stop this from happening? I love the gun but this is completely unacceptable. In todays enviroment if that magazine ever made it completely out and hit the floor all hell would break loose.

I have had the Shield for a few months and this has never happened. I use a crossbreed super tuck for the holster.

Are you saying that the magazine is being released in the holster or on the draw stroke?

I have had no such problem with mine. I thought I did hear something about older shields dropping mags at the range or something along those lines. This could be related to that. You could ask S&W about it too.

I have a Shield also, using a Crossbreed supertuck IWB holster for conceal carry. Had it since October, never had a magazine release, or any problems with Shield or holster. My suggestion is , upgrade to a Crossbreed Super Tuck, they have a "Seconds " site for a cheeper price, I got a supertuck for my full size M&P 9mm , cost was $40.00 + shipping, vs $88.00 + shipping for first quality holster.

Sometimes with different ammo loaded into magizine, it is a hard push to get magizine seated in desired spot and locked in, but never any dropped magazines.

Good Luck

I haven't read anywhere where anyone else is having this problem so maybe it is just me. I love my Shield as an everyday carry but a couple times I have removed the gun from the holster to find that the magazine has been released. It usually only slides out a 1/4" or so but the fact that this has happened at all is BAD in my book. I use 2 holsters and it has happened top both of them. I use a right handed IWB Foxx leather/kydex holster at 5 o'clock and a Foxx OWB leather/kydex holster usually in the 2 oclock position. These seem like very typical holsters on the market. Has anyone else experianced this? What can I do to stop this from happening? I love the gun but this is completely unacceptable. In todays enviroment if that magazine ever made it completely out and hit the floor all hell would break loose.

Does your IWB have speed/combat or standard cut? Just wondering if the leather is putting pressure on the mag released button. I haven't had this happen yet, I'm using a Harwell Holsters IWB ProTuck w/speed cut.

image.jpeg

It could be your fingers on the draw. When I first got my shield I hit the mag release a couple times at the range, I wasn't used to such a small grip.

All,
Thanks for the replies.

I actually thought the first time it may have been me that triggered the release but the second time I pulled my belt off and slid the gun and IWB holster out of my pants together. The only thing I can think of is that I'm not seating the mag completely but I havent had this happen with any other firearm I've carried.
This is the IWB holster I use. Oh... and before I forget. Thanks for your avatar JCV!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361372396934.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361372396934.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 72
All,
Thanks for the replies.

I actually thought the first time it may have been me that triggered the release but the second time I pulled my belt off and slid the gun and IWB holster out of my pants together. The only thing I can think of is that I'm not seating the mag completely but I havent had this happen with any other firearm I've carried.
This is the IWB holster I use. Oh... and before I forget. Thanks for your avatar JCV!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Hey, again with different ammo, with full magizine it is hard to properly seat it into Shield. I even put one in the chamber, so the magazine had one less in it seemed to help. Being a Newbie, getting to the point of CCW with Shield ready to go, took some time, at least for me.
That is quite a cant built into your holster, look at where Kydex is next to your Magazine release??

Agreed with JCV Avatar +1 on that.[smile]

Similar experience with a different gun: I have a sig 1911 that rides in a supertuck. When I first got it I noticed a mark wearing into the backing leather from the mag release, and if I pushed the gun into my hip hard enough it would release the mag. Though it never released while carrying, I imagined it could be possible if I ever leaned on the gun, or fell on it. I cut the leather away around the mag release and wasn't able to make it happen again, no matter what I did.

If you can isolate the problem and find its the holster, maybe you try my solution.

All,
Thanks for the replies.

My Shield is fresh out of the box, and I'd noticed the 7-round magazine not seating fully if not given a stiff prodding.

I have read over on the S&W Forum about the front sight white dot coming out while shooting and that the mag is hard to get in sometimes...

I have a great leather holster that was made by Hign Noon for my FS M&P. I found my M&P compact was sometimes dropping the mag. I found that the leather right around the mag release was a little tall so I just cut it down some and it hasn't done it sinse that...

It's very possible that is what is happening to your gun, check right were the gun rides by the holster, if it is at all close to the release just relive the holster some right there and it should slove it... I found with the way I moved around at times it was just enough to hit the mag release and it would do like you said and slide out a little... It hasn't happened with my Shield though...

No issues with the mag release on my 9mm, seating, well, that's a different story. Oh yeah, and the front sight insert/paint came out during the first mag I shot through it.

Otherwise though it's a damn fine gun for its purpose.

I think for now I am going to just be ultra careful that I seat the mag 100% and take the suggestion from Almostelmo and remove a circle of leather from behind the release button. It may be possible that it hits it just the right way to release the mag if I lean on it wrong.
I am about to bring it over to Greg Derr Precision in Marshfield for a trigger job, night sights and a ceracote treatment on the slide to give it a 2 tone look I prefer. If anyone else had this mag release issue I was going to have him look at that but I am starting to think it is me and not the Shield that is causing this.

Thanks everyone!

I think for now I am going to just be ultra careful that I seat the mag 100% and take the suggestion from Almostelmo and remove a circle of leather from behind the release button. It may be possible that it hits it just the right way to release the mag if I lean on it wrong.
I am about to bring it over to Greg Derr Precision in Marshfield for a trigger job, night sights and a ceracote treatment on the slide to give it a 2 tone look I prefer. If anyone else had this mag release issue I was going to have him look at that but I am starting to think it is me and not the Shield that is causing this.

Thanks everyone!

Ya give all the credit to Almostelmo [wink] [grin]

I agree, Greg Derr is a master at Gunsmith work, he has done work on a lot of my guns, it's just a LONG RIDE for me to go to him, that's why I wanted to try and do the APEX and sight work myself, also so I can pat myself on the back afterwords... [smile]

Back
Top Bottom