• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M&P semi-autos

I'm thinking about getting my first semi auto. I'm fairly new to handguns, although I have 3 S&W revolvers. What do you think of the M&P line, specifically the 9mm and the 45? I have heard the M&P45 will be available in MA "soon" but has anyone here used one? My regular carry is a S&W637. I see the auto being an OWB for in the woods (CC of course) and occasional carry otherwise. Also, for someone not planning on doing my own reloading, is the cost difference in ammo use of a 9 vs 45 dramatic?
Thanks!

45 costs about 50% more than 9mm. $20/100 for 9mm vs $30/100 for 45ACP last time I was at Walmart.

The M&Ps are excellent except for the MA trigger. Greg does great work fixing that.

The only problem with M&Ps (if you carry) is the lack of legal/pre-ban high cap mags. If you are going to be limited to 10rounds, IMO, that makes the .45 more attractive.

I own the compact 9mm, it's a sweetie. Go

I would own a 9, a 40c, and one each of the .45 compact and full size, as well as a 9L or 9Pro, if they were all available and I had the cash. I love my .40 (Burwell trigger job). It's surpassed my old favorites (1911 and M520)

I love my M&P 9 full size. LaRocca took care of my trigger. I'm seriously considering an M&P9c, I just wish my mitts weren't so big. Even with the pinky extension on the mags it's a little tough holding it.

I have an M&P 40 and I love it. The only problems I have, is not enough cash for a trigger job, and sometimes I thumb the mag release under recoil, but that's my own fault not the gun.

So I'd say, go for it.

I would not go with the M&P.

1. Mass trigger is horrible...if you have the trigger lightened you will likely go before the jury as a man who converted his gun to have a "hair trigger".

2. No preban mags are available...

I had a 9c and did my own trigger job. Very easy to do and was a fun project. I decided I didn't like a double stack grip and wanted DA/SA with a decocker. So sold it and replaced it with a Sig239 and a 3913.

I think I like the 3913 better.

I have 2,000+ rounds through my M&P9 and 1,000+ rounds through my M&P45. Both have been flawless for me. I would highly recommend Dave Santurri for the trigger work. Your MA 10.5 lb (or more) trigger pull can be brought to a "free state" S&W factory trigger pull of 6.5 lbs. The difference can be quite substantial, and I don't believe it would be considered a "hair trigger". It would be the S&W factory trigger pull in a non-MA compliant model, for sale in other states. This is just my opinion.

1. Mass trigger is horrible...if you have the trigger lightened you will likely go before the jury as a man who converted his gun to have a "hair trigger".

1. Ayoob fumes.

2. Doesn't matter with the M&P45.

Your point #1 is absurd. Can you cite one case where this happened? Dropping a 10-18lb trigger to 5--6 is not a hair trigger. I'm sure Cross-x will agree.

A justified shoot is a justified shoot.

Having a trigger that is consistent and smooth only INCREASES your ability to hit what you are aiming at. Trust me, you'll have a lot more to worry about than your trigger pull if you have to pull it.

Both the .40c and the full size 45 are factory 10 round mags.

Ended up with and M&P 9mm / Is it always this fun?!!

Thanks everyone for your advice.
I ended up with a used M&P 9mm. The trigger is fine for me, although I'll add the caveats that my S&W 637 DA pull doesn't bother me, and it is not as smooth as my 1958 - 59 -ish Model 10. The M&P IS used, so perhaps the trigger has worked out the worst of it's issues with the first owner.
I took the M&P out today and D@#N I only took 100 rounds (they seemed to be gone in minutes) - I had a blast with this! Very low recoil (compared to the 637), I was on target [shocked] (not to be taken for granted) and can't wait to get out again.[smile]
Jay

The majority of Police in this country carry a striker fired semi auto with a 5.5Lb trigger pull including the FBI. A M&P with a 6.5LB trigger pull will be very defendable in court.

I have an M&P 40 and I love it. The only problems I have, is not enough cash for a trigger job, and sometimes I thumb the mag release under recoil, but that's my own fault not the gun.

So I'd say, go for it.

Hey Meth0d

Just make sure it actually is you.

My magazine would drop out under recoil, but it was due to the mag catch wearing out prematurely. I called Smith and they said they knew of the problem. The mag catches had not been hardened to the correct level and would therefore wear out. They sent me a couple of new mag catches and that solved the problem.

Yep, that happened to me too. I believe it was mainly on the M&P40s but it's worth giving them a call. Replacing a catch is a 2 minute process and you don't need any tools other than the one in the grip.

I had a 9c and did my own trigger job. Very easy to do and was a fun project. I decided I didn't like a double stack grip and wanted DA/SA with a decocker. So sold it and replaced it with a Sig239 and a 3913.

I think I like the 3913 better.

HUH, I was literally holding an M&P40c in my hand at the store about 2 hrs ago and thinking "this is the same size as my P239, holds more rounds, great trigger that can get even better with a trigger job". I went home and looked up the specs on each and sure enough it's the exact same width but it's lighter, has a longer sight radius, and is almost an inch shorter in overall height. Neither leaves my pinky hanging so I think some of the shorter height of the M&P is because the grip is closer to the axis of the barrel. I suspect it will handle the recoil as well or better than the Sig P239 because of this.

I think.... wait... Yeah, I think I got the M&P fever! I need to get one of these to replace my P239. Anyone care to talk me out of it?

Q: Can the M&P40c swap .40 and .357 barrels and still use the same mags like the Sig P239 in 40/357? That's one thing I love about the Sigs.

Sometimes you feel like a nut and sometimes you don't, know what I mean?

Now, the Walther P99c comes in .40 w/10 round mags and is roughly the same. I recall holding one once, but I think I liked the M&P grip better. Any thoughts on the P99c vs. the M&Pc ?

Back
Top Bottom