M&P Recoil Springs

Has anyone here tuned their M&P recoil springs? If so what have you used? Extra power vs Reduced power and why?

Most of my shooting is with 115 gr ball ammo - WWB, AE and some 115 gr reloads.

Thanks

Has anyone here tuned their M&P recoil springs? If so what have you used? Extra power vs Reduced power and why?

Most of my shooting is with 115 gr ball ammo - WWB, AE and some 115 gr reloads.

Thanks

I would have to recommend you don't mess with it.

I have a M&P 9 with a slide mounted red dot, threaded barrel and a 3 port carver comp. I changed to the 11 lb spring recommended by carver for the loads I intended to shoot in that gun. I later did some experimenting with 10,11,13,15 lb springs in both this comped gun and another stock M&P. My observations were that the 11lb ran best in the comped gun, and the stock spring ran best in the stock gun. When I say ran best, I mean it functioned 100% with consistent ejection, and had the best feeling recoil.

the recoil spring in my M&P 9 went to shit at approx 4k rounds. the recoil was noticeable increased likely due to slide hitting frame on cycling.

i upgraded to a wolf uncaptured guide rod and would never go back to the OEM. the wolf guide rod allows me to swap swings at the range on the fly. i was running a 16# wolf spring, but then recently figured i would try a 19# spring and it also runs just fine. if you're really going to pound your M&P9 like i do, then i think it's a worthwhile upgrade.

i buy springs directly from wolff. they ship like same day.

https://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Aut...&P SERIES - 9mm, .40/.357 /cID1/mID58/dID262

The M&P recoil and striker springs work together and must be compatible. Swapping the stock recoil spring for a lighter unit will cause problems. After this swap I immediately noticed light hits which continued until I replaced the stock recoil spring.

PS Installing a higher power striker spring made the problem worse.

Well, my 9 has thousands of rounds through it - over 5K closer to 8K and the other day at the range it felt harsh for lack of a better word. I'm not sure what's up yet though, needs more experimenting, might just be me overthinking (no jokes please).

I've looked at the calibration kits from Wolff and will probably get a set of tuning packs - extra and reduced power, along with a rod. Once I figure things out I'll sell off the rest so I don't have them laying around.

Thanks Guys - if anyone else has insight I'd appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom