M&P Full Size 1.0 9mm Accuracy

Bought a used M&P full size 1.0 9mm recently, been shooting a ccw 9mm all summer and wanted to try a full size. 25-30 yards I can shoot 3-4 inch groupings constantly, no problem. With my new purchase (used gun) M&P, I literally can't hit paper at 25 yards. I may hit dead center of what I'm aiming at 2-3/15 shots. I've done a little research and from what I can gather it may be related to the barrel. Although, given the decent condition of the slide & frame I can't see that this barrel is shot out or has had that many rounds. Has anyone had similar experiences and if so what positive upgrades have you made?
To add, the trigger may be one of the worst triggers I've ever felt on a gun and can't believe that Smith & Wesson would even market something with such a shit trigger. Instantly realized I needed an upgraded trigger the second I shot it but this may be a result of such inaccuracy.
I'd like to also add that I got an outstanding deal on it and would be more than happy to purchase an upgrade. Not knocking S&W yet.

Last edited:
I had one of those guns and put probably 17k rounds thru it. I highly doubt it is barrel wear.

Did the previous owner f*** with the frame rails?

I had one of those guns and put probably 17k rounds thru it. I highly doubt it is barrel wear.

Did the previous owner f*** with the frame rails?

Hey xtry,

That's quite a lot of shots, just curious, did you stick with an OEM barrel & trigger assembly?

As far as the frame rails, honestly I have no idea how to check for that

I'm looking at this product on midway - Apex Tactical Barrel S&W M&P 9mm Luger 1 10 Twist 4.25 SS

One of the reviews someone wrote talked about a barrel problem S&W chose to address, I wonder if this has anything to do with my gun, might be an older model that never got resolved and just got passed on and passed on.

" it makes noticeable accuracy difference because of 1 in 10" twist, changed timing and tighter tolerances vs. stock barrel. 1 gen 9mm barrel issues were addressed by S&W in second gen M&P 9mm- it's very accurate. "

Just out of curiosity, what gr wt are you shooting?
Noticed a lot of stuff comes zero'd for 115, and that 124/125 or 147 throws it off some.

Do the apex kit (or polish it), difference is VERY noticeable and its definitely worth it.

I have a first gen M&P .40 and it also isn't very good with the stock barrel and leaves all the cases bulged a little so shitty for reloading. I put a different barrel in it and it's like a whole new pistol. I also have an apex duty/carry kit in it with their glock style trigger and I deleted the mag disconnect.

Thank you for the helpful replies!
I have an early m&p 9 fs, the accuracy was also lousy. I called S&W & sent it back, they replaced the barrel, its a lot better but still no tack driver.

Just got off the phone with S&W customer service, they are letting me send it in to them for their gunsmith to take a look at it. Hopefully I can get a handgun that can shoot better than 12"+ groupings at 20 yards haha. If they are able to repair the barrel/swap out the barrel I'll absolutely go ahead and focus on the trigger upgrade with a nice apex trigger.

All in all I understand why there are various upgrades for every handgun/part, but OEM parts should get the job done. I don't plan on competing so I have no need for a barrel that increases the accuracy so long as I can just hit the paper haha.

I will mention again that this trigger has to be the worst trigger I've ever felt on a handgun, I'm going to mention that in my note to the gunsmith and maybe he'll throw an apex trigger on their for free [smile]...just kidding of course

My M&P 9C was all over the place when I bought it new. I did the Apex Duty/Carry spring kit and installed a Storm Lake barrel and the problems were resolved.

My M&P 9C was all over the place when I bought it new. I did the Apex Duty/Carry spring kit and installed a Storm Lake barrel and the problems were resolved.

Awesome. This encourages me to get the upgrades done and turn this handgun into a beast! I wanted to get some stuff done on my glock but I've going to make sure the home team handgun is ready to go first.

My buddy has one and he was griping about not being able to hit with it. He knows I shoot a lot so he gave it to me to test drive. That gun has, without question the absolute worst trigger of any gun I've ever shot! The pull weight must be near 20 pounds! Then I shot another one without the Mass trigger and it was like night and day. The non-Mass version seems like an excellent, rugged, well made pistol. In fact, my buddy is selling his Mass version. So if anyone wants an almost new M&P 9 that needs a trigger let me know. I'm guessing he wants about what he paid for it, which I think was around $450. Box, papers, a couple of ten round mags.

My buddy has one and he was griping about not being able to hit with it. He knows I shoot a lot so he gave it to me to test drive. That gun has, without question the absolute worst trigger of any gun I've ever shot! The pull weight must be near 20 pounds! Then I shot another one without the Mass trigger and it was like night and day. The non-Mass version seems like an excellent, rugged, well made pistol. In fact, my buddy is selling his Mass version. So if anyone wants an almost new M&P 9 that needs a trigger let me know. I'm guessing he wants about what he paid for it, which I think was around $450. Box, papers, a couple of ten round mags.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. It's pretty ironic that MA gets the worse version of this gun when I believe they are actually made in Springfield, MA. I'll most likely never purchase another Smith & Wesson M&P unless the parts I use for the 1.0 can be used in a newer version. As, when you purchase an M&P in MA you should basically expect to gut the thing and start over...At least I found my answer. I shot one of their 1911's recently and can tell you that it was probably one of the nicest handguns I've ever held or shot, accuracy was absolutely incredible.. I definitely have a love/hate relationship with them haha.

I’m surprised at so many comments about the shit MA 10lb trigger, as though it’s some sort of surprise. I don’t know anyone who bought a MA compliant M&P Gen1 that didn’t change the trigger immediately. I wouldn’t blame S&W for the trigger regs MA forced on them, the free state triggers were fine out of the box. The rest of the gun is the same.

I’m surprised at so many comments about the shit MA 10lb trigger, as though it’s some sort of surprise. I don’t know anyone who bought a MA compliant M&P Gen1 that didn’t change the trigger immediately. I wouldn’t blame S&W for the trigger regs MA forced on them, the free state triggers were fine out of the box. The rest of the gun is the same.

I totally understand and agree with this. But honestly it's not JUST the weight of the trigger, it feels like total shit, very mushy. Also my first M&P buy regardless of what I paid for it, it's in great condition, has a defective barrel, I don't know many guns the same age of it that have such common defective issues. Reading briefly online shows it's pretty common too.

I totally understand and agree with this. But honestly it's not JUST the weight of the trigger, it feels like total shit, very mushy. Also my first M&P buy regardless of what I paid for it, it's in great condition, has a defective barrel, I don't know many guns the same age of it that have such common defective issues. Reading briefly online shows it's pretty common too.

That’s how Gen1 MA compliant M&P triggers are. 10lbs of absolute mush. Can’t believe there are any out there that haven’t been modified. Never heard of the barrel issues. My full size M&P is a .40 w a 9mm conversion barrel, never had an issue running either.

My nephew is NYPD. For their personal guns they’re allowed M&P or Glock and it has to go to the NYPD armorer where they put a 12lb stagger on it. Can’t even imagine that.

Not sure about barrel qc... but aside from them being garbage trigger pulls in mass.. I hated the hinge style trigger of my mp core... I couldn't hit jack with it at 10 yards. And I can put rounds touching at 10 yards with most 9s if i do my part.

That’s how Gen1 MA compliant M&P triggers are. 10lbs of absolute mush. Can’t believe there are any out there that haven’t been modified. Never heard of the barrel issues. My full size M&P is a .40 w a 9mm conversion barrel, never had an issue running either.

My nephew is NYPD. For their personal guns they’re allowed M&P or Glock and it has to go to the NYPD armorer where they put a 12lb stagger on it. Can’t even imagine that.
Wow. That's just insane. From what I've heard (1 friend living in NY) the gun laws are just disgusting. I've never researched NY gun laws but MA sounds better than NY if you want to own and shoot personal weapons. and that says a lot as MA is definitely a contract to deal with of a state.

Not sure about barrel qc... but aside from them being garbage trigger pulls in mass.. I hated the hinge style trigger of my mp core... I couldn't hit jack with it at 10 yards. And I can put rounds touching at 10 yards with most 9s if i do my part.

Yeah, the style of trigger is absolutely disgusting and quite honestly isn't that much worse than a stock glock trigger IMO (many would disagree with what I just said and that's fine). Overall it just comes down to what these gun manufacturers have to deal with to get a sale into our hands. Just means we have to take it a step further and do some upgrades, if you actually like to shoot your guns, which I do.

I've had such a blast this past year getting into handguns. There are so many areas to cover, and I'm just entering into it. I've been able to shoot very nice groupings with even small conceal pistols such as my 365, which certainly isn't a rewarding precision gun for the range. I never really understood how impactful some of these laws are until recent encounters with my new purchase. I can't imagine wanting to buy another M&P in the future expecting to have to strip it and do immediate upgrades, just gets costly honestly. This $350 pistol is most likely going to be a $700 investment/purchase in about a month or so. I could buy a brand new M&P for another $100-$200 for that money! BUT wait! I'd have to add another $200 worth of upgrades for it to be a decent gun to shoot.

I guess if you just like to buy guns and you don't care about shooting them a lot you'll never know haha. Unfortunately I like to shoot a lot.

Update: Sent it out to S&W today, will reply to the thread with how everything goes. Hopefully they pull some magic and give me back a nice shooting pistol with an operating barrel. I even wrote a comment about the trigger, let's test their customer service and see what they come back with.

Last edited:
Wow. That's just insane. From what I've heard (1 friend living in NY) the gun laws are just disgusting. I've never researched NY gun laws but MA sounds better than NY if you want to own and shoot personal weapons. and that says a lot as MA is definitely a contract to deal with of a state.

Yeah, the style of trigger is absolutely disgusting and quite honestly isn't that much worse than a stock glock trigger IMO (many would disagree with what I just said and that's fine). Overall it just comes down to what these gun manufacturers have to deal with to get a sale into our hands. Just means we have to take it a step further and do some upgrades, if you actually like to shoot your guns, which I do.

I've had such a blast this past year getting into handguns. There are so many areas to cover, and I'm just entering into it. I've been able to shoot very nice groupings with even small conceal pistols such as my 365, which certainly isn't a rewarding precision gun for the range. I never really understood how impactful some of these laws are until recent encounters with my new purchase. I can't imagine wanting to buy another M&P in the future expecting to have to strip it and do immediate upgrades, just gets costly honestly. This $350 pistol is most likely going to be a $700 investment/purchase in about a month or so. I could buy a brand new M&P for another $100-$200 for that money! BUT wait! I'd have to add another $200 worth of upgrades for it to be a decent gun to shoot.

I guess if you just like to buy guns and you don't care about shooting them a lot you'll never know haha. Unfortunately I like to shoot a lot.

Update: Sent it out to S&W today, will reply to the thread with how everything goes. Hopefully they pull some magic and give me back a nice shooting pistol with an operating barrel. I even wrote a comment about the trigger, let's test their customer service and see what they come back with.

Lol its also personal preference I've shot 280's in idpa with a bone stock 17. Some people swear by glock triggers and some hate them... just like I'm sure some people disagree with my hinge assessment. What ever works best for you works best for you lol.

I had actually never heard of this. Guess I got lucky. That said I shoot Glocks now because they are more accurate.
A lot of the early M&P were pretty f***ed up. Their glock 34 knockoff (m&p 9 pro) had massive sight dovetail problems amongst other things. On the .40s, the mags fell out. Hell at the rental range at S&W one of the two rental guns we had for the NES tour the magazines were falling out while shooting....

10? Try more like 12+ on a lot of them.

Back
Top Bottom