M&P Bodyguard?

Bingo! I bought a G42 and couldn't be happier. Felt lucky to hit the paper with the BG, the G42 punches holes in groups.

Ido head size groups with the Bodyguard 380 at 50 feet. Averaging 9" groups at that distance. 5-6" groups with it at 25"

and Jerry Miculek hits the target with a bodyguard at 200 YARDS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ido head size groups with the Bodyguard 380 at 50 feet. Averaging 9" groups at that distance. 5-6" groups with it at 25"

and Jerry Miculek hits the target with a bodyguard at 200 YARDS!

Jerry could hit a target at 200 yds with a spit ball. He doesn't count.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO, the BG is one of THE best pocket carries to come along. Super compact, 12 oz , very reliable and easy to operate. Also given it's in the $300 dollar range, you don't mind if it see's soem abuse. It's so flat and small in footprint that I pocket (pants) carry mine year round. That long trigger pull and manual safety keep me from worrying about an AD, yet the gun can be fired just fine when you decide you want too. ( Just keep in mind this is a close quarters PD gun. Not a target weapon.) BTW, one night of dry firing and mine wore in nicely to a smooth 9# 10 oz pull .( Something that takes a trigger job on a DAO revolver).
Lastly, there are other guns in this size range but few I would trust in my pocket with a round in the chamber. ( The twice the price Sig 238 included.) Of course, when I do holster carry ANYTHING, I choose something with more UMPH than a 380.

Last edited:
I had both laser/no-laser models and had no issues. If I pocket-carried, I'd probably have kept one. I liked the size and design, but decided I liked the Kahr P380 and Sig P238 better. Both of these guns a very popular on this board for good reasons. Try them before you buy the Bodyguard, side-by-side if possible.

Bodyguard trigger is worse than a revolver. If you're only shooting a few rounds out of it during range visits, it's not an issue.

Like p238 much better than the bodyguatd

I gave up on buying a BG380 after reading owner testimonials (and when I'd try to buy one from the NES classifieds, the seller would usually say "works fine other than light strikes/broken part/loose part/etc") but objectively speaking they seem to be chunkier and with worse triggers than competing pistols. Its main advantage over an LCP/TCP/P3AT is restrike capability, plus it's on the list in Mass. Also has a manual safety which could be seen as a plus or a minus depending on your preference.

The P238 is a great gun but it's a lot bigger and heavier than the poly pocket .380s.

I gave up on buying a BG380 after reading owner testimonials (and when I'd try to buy one from the NES classifieds, the seller would usually say "works fine other than light strikes/broken part/loose part/etc") but objectively speaking they seem to be chunkier and with worse triggers than competing pistols. Its main advantage over an LCP/TCP/P3AT is restrike capability, plus it's on the list in Mass. Also has a manual safety which could be seen as a plus or a minus depending on your preference.

The P238 is a great gun but it's a lot bigger and heavier than the poly pocket .380s.

Honestly, it's not worth buying one from the classifieds since they are usually priced within $20 of brand new, and sometimes even more than places like 4 Seasons sell new ones for![rolleyes] As you said the P238 is a great gun but it's heavier, slightly bigger, and twice the price. For what I was looking for, which was a deep concealment summer, or dress clothes gun, the BG fit the bill best. I have plenty of fun range guns, so I wasn't planning on using it for that anyway.

Honestly, it's not worth buying one from the classifieds since they are usually priced within $20 of brand new, and sometimes even more than places like 4 Seasons sell new ones for![rolleyes] As you said the P238 is a great gun but it's heavier, slightly bigger, and twice the price. For what I was looking for, which was a deep concealment summer, or dress clothes gun, the BG fit the bill best. I have plenty of fun range guns, so I wasn't planning on using it for that anyway.

You can always buy a used one, by offering what your "willing" to pay.

I have bought and sold countless firearms, this way.
[smile]

I did buy a Bodyguard without the Laser and I like it. No issues at all the first time out. I know I can get use to the trigger and I like the fact that carrying it in the pocket is not a worry because that trigger won't accidentally fire.

Recently picked one up my self... you get used to the trigger and luckily, mine has not displayed light primer strikes with multiple brands of ammo. One issue I ran into is the slide not locking back on the last round. It never happened til I got close to shooting 100 rounds... then it was intermittent and now it doesn't lock back at all. After investigating further, the follower in the magazine isn't catching the slide catch lever on the last round. You can actually see where the follower is marred from not engaging the slide catch lever. I called S&W and they're sending a new magazine to see if it fixes the problem - which I don't think it will. I've read that installing the Mag Guts internals will solve this issue but haven't tried yet. Hope you don't run into the same issue...

Back
Top Bottom