M&P 9mm Full Size ejecting brass to the face

Hi All,

I have a new M&P 9mm FS, and no matter what ammo I shoot, clean gun or dirty, the gun ejects the spent cases directly back toward my face. Brass hits the top of my head, goes down my back, hits my eye pro, etc... It also appears at times to be barely ejecting the spent case. Could I need a new extractor? Send to S&W for repair?

Today, I must of had a large enough gap between my face and eye pro because I caught a piece of spent brass in between my eye pro and eye and it sizzled the skin right below my eye socket (if that makes sense)

Any help would be appreciated.

that's a sort of unusual issue to have with an M&P. gen 4 glock very common. my experiences w M&P's (Back when I had them) were that they ejected very consistently.

how many rounds are through your gun?
what ammo are you shooting?

sometimes a new stiff spring can cause weak ejection. as the spring loosens up and gun breaks in, ejection should get stronger.

a few suggestions:
1. shoot it a bunch more, ideally some 124gr NATO spec or something similar.
2. attaching a light to the rail will improve ejection, especially if there's an element of limp wristing.
3. have somebody else shoot the gun to see if they also get ejection to face
4. store the gun with slide locked back, helps loosen the spring a bit

if the issue persists after like 500 or so rounds then I would call S&W to get an RMA. at that point they would fix the gun for you for sure, it's just annoying to be without the gun for a few weeks. alternatively one could take the approach of "i shouldn't have to deal with this" in which case could just call S&W and demand an RMA...but they might inspect the gun and say nothing's wrong, ship it back to you...waste of your time.

I had a similar issue with an 1911. The ejector piece had broken off.

Compare to a parts diagram or another pistol and see what's not the same.

And springs don't weaken /fatigue from being left compressed, it's the repetitive use that does it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The gun has ~650rd through it without cleaning however its been acting this way since day 1. I can promise you there is no limp writing going on. =)

Also, I have a 2nd M&P 9mm FS, and when comparing the two, I see no difference. Extractor looks to be the same...nothing broken etc..

Last edited:
Had a chat with S&W about the issue. FedEx just came and picked up the pistol.

I was going to say there is something wrong and replace the extractor.

Smith has a range at their facility. There is a chair and the floor all around the chain is marked with 1 foot square lines forming a grid. Each box in the grid is numbered. Someone from Smith sits there an shoots guns and records which square the ejected shell hits when it lands. They decide which squares are good and which are bad and design the extractor accordingly.

/http://glock.pro/glock-tech-warranty/9614-g19-ejecting-casings-on-my-face

Poor kid...

They received the gun on Monday and I was told there is a backlog right now and to expect ~6-8 weeks. Hoping it's not gonna take that long

They received the gun on Monday and I was told there is a backlog right now and to expect ~6-8 weeks. Hoping it's not gonna take that long

sorry to hear about that delay. it's a bit much. the M&P is such a simple firearm they should have that turned around in max 2 weeks. personally if they had my gun 6-8 weeks i would call at least weekly, ask for the supervisor, and complain.

A quality control problem with an M&P? You don't say!!! Lol. S&W will probably fix it if you send it in.

Looks like they replaced the extractor and polished the barrel and chamber? It has passed a range test. Anyways, S&W still has the pistol and I hope to get it back in the next week or so. Way too long for a production pistol w/extraction issues. I would have expected it to be 2 weeks tops. Maybe my expectation is out of line....

Looks like they replaced the extractor and polished the barrel and chamber? It has passed a range test. Anyways, S&W still has the pistol and I hope to get it back in the next week or so. Way too long for a production pistol w/extraction issues. I would have expected it to be 2 weeks tops. Maybe my expectation is out of line....

With the amount of skinflint-ing that S&W has done on their CS and QC, this stuff doesn't surprise me one bit. Hopefully your gun is perfect when it gets back so you don't have to
deal with that BS anymore.

-Mike

Tested the M&P9 today and sucks to say but the issue appears to still be there. Instead of brass ejecting 2-3:00, it was 6:00 again, back at me. I had cases hitting me on top of my head, many landed on my forearm etc...Is it possible that the ammo i'm using is underpowered? I'm using blazer brass 115gr which seems to work just fine in all my other semi-autos, including another M&P9. This gun however, seems to be puking the spent cases out with no force at all.

I admit that i've been wicked lazy with cleaning the gun, its got ~700rd though it with no cleaning however I don't think cleaning it will really improve the ejection pattern. Do I send this back to S&W for another 6-8weeks? Shoot it some more and see what happens (i ran 50rd to test)? Deal with it?

Last edited:
Blazer is underpowered a tad IMOP. Ejector could be dirty especially with Blazer ammo. Give it a good cleaning and try some other ammo before sending it back or selling it, you never know

Blazer is underpowered a tad IMOP. Ejector could be dirty especially with Blazer ammo. Give it a good cleaning and try some other ammo before sending it back or selling it, you never know

Yea i'll give it a good bath but this has been going on since the pistol was brand new. [sad2]

I picked up a new colt xse a couple of years back. did the same thing, threw the .45 brass right back into my face. very annoying. instead of sending it back I brought it to Lou at bec and had it back in 4 days right as rain. don't know if our solutions would be similar but just sayin' maybe take it to a competent gunsmith next. im sure they'll make it right before you get it back.

Tested the M&P9 today and sucks to say but the issue appears to still be there. Instead of brass ejecting 2-3:00, it was 6:00 again, back at me. I had cases hitting me on top of my head, many landed on my forearm etc...Is it possible that the ammo i'm using is underpowered? I'm using blazer brass 115gr which seems to work just fine in all my other semi-autos, including another M&P9. This gun however, seems to be puking the spent cases out with no force at all.

I admit that i've been wicked lazy with cleaning the gun, its got ~700rd though it with no cleaning however I don't think cleaning it will really improve the ejection pattern. Do I send this back to S&W for another 6-8weeks? Shoot it some more and see what happens (i ran 50rd to test)? Deal with it?

Clean it!

After a good cleaning you might want to take out your other other M&P and test both with the same box of ammo if you haven't already. I've noticed a lot of inconsistency in Blazer / Federal / Perfecta since the election (light loads)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was a known issue with a large serial number range of full size M&Ps. S&W made the same exact gun for the 9mm & 40 S&W, the only difference being the barrels and the recoil spring. The ejector and extractor were designed for the .40 S&W, and it lead to ejection issues straight back and into the face in a lot of the 9mm guns. It was a huge embarrassment for Smith, and I have seen them lie to several customers about it via email and work receipts. I had one in the shop this winter that had to go to Smith twice. You need to tell them that you are aware of the issue with this gun, and that you need your ejector, extractor, and barrel replaced. The gun has a life time warantee. Make them fix it correctly, then sell it and buy a better gun.

This was a known issue with a large serial number range of full size M&Ps. S&W made the same exact gun for the 9mm & 40 S&W, the only difference being the barrels and the recoil spring. The ejector and extractor were designed for the .40 S&W, and it lead to ejection issues straight back and into the face in a lot of the 9mm guns. It was a huge embarrassment for Smith, and I have seen them lie to several customers about it via email and work receipts. I had one in the shop this winter that had to go to Smith twice. You need to tell them that you are aware of the issue with this gun, and that you need your ejector, extractor, and barrel replaced. The gun has a life time warantee. Make them fix it correctly, then sell it and buy a better gun.

Thanks for the info, I had no idea. I will give it a good cleaning and see what happens (although I doubt it will fix anything) then reach out to S&W if it still happens. I'd like them to fix it....no plans to get rid of this gun as I actually really like the M&P line of pistols.

Thanks for the info, I had no idea. I will give it a good cleaning and see what happens (although I doubt it will fix anything) then reach out to S&W if it still happens. I'd like them to fix it....no plans to get rid of this gun as I actually really like the M&P line of pistols.

if this is the 2nd time they need to repair it, I would personally demand a replacement as they were unable to fix the problem on round 1. all of these dirtbag manufacturers keep a stash of new production guns that have been inspected and look good. they will sent you one of those. don't ask me how I know this....it's pathetic and they all do it.

- - - Updated - - -

^so depressing that S&W treats their customers in this manner. while there are quite a few dirtbag manufacterers, I'm fairly certain that S&W tops the list.

This would be the 2nd time they had to repair it, if I send it out again. First I need to clean the gun and head to the range, which probably won't happen until sometime next week.

Back
Top Bottom