M&P 9mm Full Size AND Shield? Or one 9c and invest elsewhere..... advice

Title says it. Got my LTC about 3 months ago and bought my shield and full size 9 immediately. Thinking about re-allocating those dollars and buying a 9c to do both jobs of carry and HD. Then buy something else.... Anyone done this? I dont want to start another shield vs 9C thread. But has anyone condensed with the same result of carrying, HD, range time (extended mags), and not have to do 2 triggers, 2 night sights, etc.

Thanks for the opinions

I've had a Shield 9 for about a year and a half now. I Like it. Recently (well a few months back) got a 9C. I had Greg Derr do
his magic on the Trigger and now I rarely carry my Shield anymore. I do so more in the Summer but if can wear any type of outer wear (like between October and April) the 9C goes into a StealthGear Mini or a JM Kustom Kydex OWB V2.
I had a FS M&P .40. it was too hard to conceal and I didn't love .40 so I got rid of it.
I have the full size mag with the X sleeve for the 9C. It's a very soft shooter for it's size. No complaints at all.
If I had started with the 9C I never would've bothered with a shield, I would've probably gone J frame 642 for the deep conceal scenarios (I had one that I carried in a Smart Carry) sold it, I will probably get another one at some point and move the shield. With the 9C I feel that if I had a 642, I wouldn't really have any need for a smaller single stack. The 642 is really easy to carry :)

Last edited:
I use a 9c for everything now. I find it small enough to carry most of the time and large enough to shoot well. I am trying to convince my wife to trade her shield for a 9c. But she does feel that there is enough of a size difference to justify the shield. We both have smaller pistols for deep concealment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd go 9c as well. I can conceal it in just a tishirt and shirts so no need for a Shield with half the capacity. Also can carry full size mags as a backup or for home defense purposes. I'd spend the extra money on a pump shotgun if you do t already have one. Or on night sights, APEX Trigger, holster, mags, Talon grips and ammo.

exactly what im thinking thank you

I'd go 9c as well. I can conceal it in just a tishirt and shirts so no need for a Shield with half the capacity. Also can carry full size mags as a backup or for home defense purposes. I'd spend the extra money on a pump shotgun if you do t already have one. Or on night sights, APEX Trigger, holster, mags, Talon grips and ammo.

I have the 9c and shield 9mm. I pretty much CCW with the 9c everywhere. Though sometimes having the smaller shield is more appropriate, especially with summer clothing. That said, if you want just one, go for the 9c.

I do mot have one, but have done a tob of research for whatever that is worth... And my next purchase will probably be a 9c. I like the size and the fact it has a rail for attachments. i will use it for HD and heavier clothes carry.

Get just the shield9 and add the apex kit from F.S. for $99

IMG_0324.jpg IMG_0345.jpg

The Shield in 9mm is a great carry gun and a great shooter! over 1,000,000 made!
Mine has a trigger job, XS big dot sights, Talon Grips, TLR-6 light laser combo and a custom Kydex holster.
In the summer I carry the bodyguard and the rest of the rest I carry the shield!
The 9c is MICH WIDER and PRINTS MORE!

ALSO whether you go for the Shield or compact or both... Make sure it's 9mm
The 9mm in both are much better shooters and resale is always more $$$ and easier in 9mm over 40

Last edited:
If you were starting from zero I could see getting the 9c. Since you already own the Full size 9 and Shield I would keep what you have.

Whether a medium sized gun is a good compromise to use for all purposes is an entirely personal decision. It is useful to know what works for other people, but only experimentation can determine what works for you.

It is true that many people find that a medium sized gun works well for concealment and still shoots nearly as well as a full sized gun. But other people find that a medium sized gun is bad for every purpose. For those people, the compact gun is too large to conceal and still too small to shoot well. Also, some people find that the Glock 19 is an ideal size, but the slightly smaller M&P 9c is too small in their hands. When people give different opinions about these different sized guns, none of those opinions is wrong. But that does not mean any of those opinions will match your personal experience.

I don't mean to be critical of anyone who asks questions in this area. It is very reasonable to ask about what works well for other people. But that does not mean those choices will work for you.

Thank you!! I actually have the shield and really do like it. Just figured I have 2 things doing the job of one and could buy something different. But great info and nice shield!

Get just the shield9 and add the apex kit from F.S. for $99

View attachment 181042 View attachment 181043

The Shield in 9mm is a great carry gun and a great shooter! over 1,000,000 made!
Mine has a trigger job, XS big dot sights, Talon Grips, TLR-6 light laser combo and a custom Kydex holster.
In the summer I carry the bodyguard and the rest of the rest I carry the shield!
The 9c is MICH WIDER and PRINTS MORE!

ALSO whether you go for the Shield or compact or both... Make sure it's 9mm
The 9mm in both are much better shooters and resale is always more $$$ and easier in 9mm over 40

I started with the full-size, and am looking for a carry gun. At one range trip I've tried both the 9c and the Shield, and maybe I've just grown accustomed to the width of the double stack of the full-size, but I didn't like the snappiness or feel of the shield.

YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom