M&P 9MM 2.0

Horrible

NES Member
Has anyone shot this new gun? Any range reports? Is the MA trigger crappy like with the first gen?

Was thinking about picking one up at some point.

I've had the 5" FDE 2.0 for about a year now. Only a few thousand round through it, but I would say a huge improvement over the original M&P (which I have thousands of rounds through)

The 2.0 series is great, the compact is probably my favorite gun right now. But a gun that is MA compliant is, by it's very definition, a POS. I'm aware there are exceptions, there's no need to list them. You could do the Apex on the MA version but the regular version doesn't need a thing IMO.

I have been shooting the regular one for awhile, like it a lot. Very soft recoil. Accurate.
Needs fiber optic front sights, or could just be my eyes.

I held a 9mm 2.0 today. I guess the only thing that changed is exterior. Same trigger and everything else. The grip is now different, with stippling and maybe some other changes. It is smaller than I thought. However, the Ruger is smaller still, and less expensive. The Sig 938 is also smaller, but I did not look at that one nor its price (today). I've held that before, and noticed it is small but heavy. Looks like the Ruger is the way to go for carry if you want small and light (and inexpensive).

I held a 9mm 2.0 today. I guess the only thing that changed is exterior. Same trigger and everything else. The grip is now different, with stippling and maybe some other changes. It is smaller than I thought. However, the Ruger is smaller still, and less expensive. The Sig 938 is also smaller, but I did not look at that one nor its price (today). I've held that before, and noticed it is small but heavy. Looks like the Ruger is the way to go for carry if you want small and light (and inexpensive).
Which Ruger you thinking? LC9s? Shot one before and I must say it’s pretty nice.

the M&P 2.0 has a superior trigger to the original M&P. no question. reset is much improved too. in terms of internals, there are some differences. the 2.0 uses an improved mechanism by which trigger bar activates the sear.

I was going by what Bob's Gun Shop told me. He said the only difference was the grips and external stuff.

I got the 2.0 in March. Even though the trigger was better than the original model, I put the apex trigger kit in it.
To date, I’ve got about 1000 rounds through it. No issues. Still love it.
Accurate, and it’s my carry gun. I got the model with no thumb safety.
Before buying it, I fired the Ruger LC9s, and the Glock 43.
Preferred the S&W.
LC9s IS smaller, and the out of the box trigger is better than the S&W, but it’s a different feel altogether, so not an apples to apples comparison.
Glock came in second in my mind, BTW.

I was going by what Bob's Gun Shop told me. He said the only difference was the grips and external stuff.

the shield is internally identical. the remaining 2.0 line has the updated sear design. perhaps this is the source of confusion.

Could be. I think it was a shield.

So, let me get this straight. There is a M&P 9mm Compact, There is a "Shield", also available in 9mm. There is a "Bodyguard", but maybe only in .380? Is that right? Is there such a thing as a M&P .380? Is there a "Shield" in .380? Is there a "Bodyguard" in 9mm? Too many choices too similar. They do look pretty decent, though. Then again, so does the Canik. If Canik came out with a compact, they would do well.

I think that original Shield was/is chambered in 9/40/45 but it appears as if the Shield 2.0 is available in .380 (EZ) auto as well. Not sure if available in 45 though.

I have only seen M&P 2.0 Compact in 9 & 40. Not sure if they have released the 45 yet? Or will?

Last edited:
Picked up the full size 2.0 9mm today.

Definitely will need APEX or some sort of trigger upgrade. Any recommendations?

Thanks for the recommendation. Ended up going this route:
https://www.brownells.com/handgun-p...cement-trigger-duty-carry-kit-prod106121.aspx

Had Pullman Arms do the install and taking it to the range soon for a test run. Will post how it runs.
Took it to the range Friday and it shot great! Highly recommend! The APEX trigger had a nice tight reset.

On top of all that, FS is selling the 2.0s for $450, and with mail-in-rebate from S&W it is $400. Pretty nice deal.

Back
Top Bottom