M&P 9c magazine issue

jeffg333

NES Member
Today I purchased a 9c magazine with pinky extension. I noticed that the plastic piece at the top of the magazine had been changed to now have a slight lip on it and it has a new shape making the magazine only take 9 rds instead of ten.

here is a photograph of the magazines the one on the left is the original one and the one on the right is the new one.

MPmag.jpeg

is this a new design because the older one looks different??
I'm going to call S&W monday to ask them also. Thanks guys. -jeffg

It's the "new" follower. They suck!. It's very difficult to do 10+1 in them. They are harder to get the 10th round in and they prevent the slide from going into battery.

Probably just a rolling design change. Shouldn't change capacity but when they're brand new you'll swear the 10th round won't go. It will.

It's the "new" follower. They suck!. It's very difficult to do 10+1 in them. They are harder to get the 10th round in and they prevent the slide from going into battery.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass here, this is an honest question. How could the follower affect the slide going into battery, except on the last round possibly right? The follower should only affect the round touching it right? After the first round is inserted the follower dips below the top of the mag.

I will say that even when broken it the 9c mags are tough to top off and loading a full mag with one in the chamber takes some serious intent.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass here, this is an honest question. How could the follower affect the slide going into battery, except on the last round possibly right? The follower should only affect the round touching it right? After the first round is inserted the follower dips below the top of the mag.

I will say that even when broken it the 9c mags are tough to top off and loading a full mag with one in the chamber takes some serious intent.

I'm pretty sure he means that since the fully loaded mag is so tight it's difficult for the slide to strip off & chamber a round.

It's all about liability these days "for you" but more "for them".
It's the same reason the Glock 10rd mags are a bitch to get the 10th round in.
Their scared to death of a law suit erupting from an 11th round loaded into a "10" round mag.

I'm pretty sure he means that since the fully loaded mag is so tight it's difficult for the slide to strip off & chamber a round.

It's all about liability these days "for you" but more "for them".
It's the same reason the Glock 10rd mags are a bitch to get the 10th round in.
Their scared to death of a law suit erupting from an 11th round loaded into a "10" round mag.

Ash, now I get it. Thanks

I posted a similar thread when I got my 9c IIRC (which is debatable), thought I was going to break something trying to jam the magazine in. It does ease up with use.

What I meant is that if you do 10+1 and then chamber check you'll find that the slide won't go into battery unless you force it there. I've swapped all my "old" followers into my full size mags that I use for IDPA. It's a PITA to use a barney mag and then seat a full mag (with new followers). What's even worse is when you do a tac-reload or reload-with-retention and try to seat a fully loaded mag with a closed slide. I've done some experimenting with trimming the "new" followers. I know others who have tried also but will pay a premium for the old followers.

Ha, good to know it's not just mine. It's a PITA to get the 10th round in, then the mag won't easily seat properly if the slide is closed when I try to insert it.

I was hoping it was a break-in issue, but looks like something I'll just have to get used to.

S&W 10 round M&P mags suck. I had the same problem with my 9mm 10 round MA compliant mags. The sad story is that the "new and improved followers" are worse than the old ones.

My solution was to remove one coil from the mag spring which did the job with the old followers. Unfortunately the "new and improved followers" would bottom out and not allow enough space for the tenth round and clearance for seating the mag in the pistol with the slide in battery.

The solution is to remove material from the rear of the follower so that it will leave enough space in the mag for the tenth round AND clearance to seat the mag in the pistol with the slide in battery. The good news is that the process is rather simple and takes less than ten minutes per mag. The final test is to seat the mag in the pistol with the slide in battery. The mag should lock in place with only moderate pressure.

S&W 10 round M&P mags suck. I had the same problem with my 9mm 10 round MA compliant mags. The sad story is that the "new and improved followers" are worse than the old ones.

My solution was to remove one coil from the mag spring which did the job with the old followers. Unfortunately the "new and improved followers" would bottom out and not allow enough space for the tenth round and clearance for seating the mag in the pistol with the slide in battery.

The solution is to remove material from the rear of the follower so that it will leave enough space in the mag for the tenth round AND clearance to seat the mag in the pistol with the slide in battery. The good news is that the process is rather simple and takes less than ten minutes per mag. The final test is to seat the mag in the pistol with the slide in battery. The mag should lock in place with only moderate pressure.

Any interest in sharing the simple and quick process to fix the mags?

Hi guys,
I had a Beretta 9mm pistol that I tried a 40 cal. mag in and the gun worked perfectly. The only difference is I could fit 12 or 13 rounds*of 9mm in the 40 cal. mag. Has anybody tried doing this with your 9 mm M&P?

Using the Universal MagLula for loading my M&P (and most other pistol) mags makes this a non-issue!

Try it, you'll like it and the skin on your fingers will thank you.

Most gun shops now carry this device.

I ended up getting it in with only minor skin lost i just come from the school of not forcing something that does not want to go in. thanks guys
i also would like to hear the fix it DIY method!

Using the Universal MagLula for loading my M&P (and most other pistol) mags makes this a non-issue!

Len, I've got a MagLula, it's great. However, the the real problems with the new followers are not solved by it.

Any interest in sharing the simple and quick process to fix the mags?

For my IDPA/USPSA Gun I made the following modifications. I have thousands or rounds through my mag collection and the mod seems to be very reliable...

See Pics
The 1st image the follower on the left is the "NEW 10th round optional" follower. Basically cut the "legs" off if it front and back side and make it flat as shown in picture. The one on the right is the OLD STYLE which ROCK!!!!

2nd photo on bottom shows you have to dremel out some material on the left side to allow the spring to seat into the follower... If you screw it up dont worry new followers are only like $3.00 from "midwaysusa".....

5274864641_129a4e81dd.jpg

5274864581_d2d716442c.jpg

It looks like the mag on the right, in the picture, even has a '9' molded into the follower, presumably indicating an intent to limit it to nine rounds.

Or it's to mark for 9mm as opposed to 40 or 45.

I'm not sure if either are correct, just an idea.

This. And as others note, it will get easier to load the magazines with use.

Yep, got one of those and it works great for the first 9 rounds. It won't push the follower down far enough to squeeze the 10th round in there. I end up loading 9 rounds with it then manually do the 10th. Might have to attempt some modifications since it's really aggravating to not have the mag seat properly when it has the full 10 rounds.

On most guns this is true. However, unless you modify these followers they actually bottom out on the floor plate and won't get easier to get the 10th round in.

Maybe I just got used to it then, because it does seem easier. Still hard compared to my Sigs, but definitely easier. I thought mine was broken when I first got it as well.

I gave up and just use 9+1. The uplula will not load that last round. I was able to get the tenth round in one of my mags once while shooting using extreme force. It marks up the casing forcing it in. After ten rounds are in you have to use extreme force to get the magazine to seat with a round in the chamber. This would be no good if combat reloading a new magazine, so I just live with 9+1. Sucks, my Glock with 10 round mags fit ten rounds no problem.

What does the bottom of the floorplate look like? I heard a rumor that their "rolling design changes" have added a square tab on it (which seems to crack after dropping the magazine on the floor a couple of times). Has this "improvement" made it to the 10-round 9mm mags?

I'm dreading having to replace my M&P magazines eventually.

Back
Top Bottom