M&P 45?

Is a M&P 45 considered non large capcity. I'm only a class B citizen. I live in a black town[frown]

By definition I don't think it's a large cap firearm, it only ever comes stock with
10 round mags, and it's not on the roster.

-Mike

Can't it be considered high cap?? Its not the pistol itself that makes it capable of holding more than 10 rounds, its the magazine. You can probably find extended magazines for any semi auto handgun that is in production today with ease.

I'm not positive on how this works... Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents..

Can't it be considered high cap?? Its not the pistol itself that makes it capable of holding more than 10 rounds, its the magazine. You can probably find extended magazines for any semi auto handgun that is in production today with ease.

This isn't how it works.

A handgun is "large capacity" by MA regs if:

-It appears on the large capacity weapons roster. (which the M+P doesn't.)

-It is supplied with a magazine that holds greater than 10 rounds.

The "capable of accepting" thing is a red herring of sorts. If this were the case, there would be ZERO semiauto pistols for LTC-B
holders, because every semiauto pistol is "capable of accepting" a "large capacity" feeding device.

-Mike

I'm not positive on how this works... Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents..

The M&P45 is ten rounds even in free states. It is not large capacity. And no extended magazines are available for it, so you can't make it large capacity even if you want to.

Extended magazines do not make a model large capacity unless they are inserted. Unless it is on the roster or physically equipped with a large capacity magazine, it is not large capacity.

The M&P45 is ten rounds even in free states. It is not large capacity. And no extended magazines are available for it, so you can't make it large capacity even if you want to.

Really? And on what exactly do you base that expert opinion that no extended mags are available for the M&P 45?

I suggest that you do a little more research next time. [thinking]

Whoops. [shocked]

Still, the point stands that it's sold with ten rounders and its standard magazine capacity, unlike an M&P9, 40, or 45, is ten rounds. Therefore, it should not be marked down as a large capacity firearm unless you have one of those factory frankenmags or until such time that it is added to the Large Capacity roster. Of course, some dealers don't even like to sell any semi-autos to B-holders, so good luck with that.

BTW, Len, where did you get a 45MM magazine? That makes the firearm a destructive device, I'm pretty sure... [smile]

Last edited:
I don't own that mag, just grabbed the picture off the Internet. The 14 rd mag in the gun makes it butt-ugly, not concealable and was severely overpriced when S&W released them. They've lowered the price on them, guess they didn't catch on.

Markings are strictly whatever S&W puts on the label. Maybe their label expert was thinking in mm?

I would hope that that mag didn't catch on well... because it's a monstrosity. You might as well start thinking about ditching the handgun all together.

Whoops. [shocked]

Still, the point stands that it's sold with ten rounders and its standard magazine capacity, unlike an M&P9, 40, or 45, is ten rounds. Therefore, it should not be marked down as a large capacity firearm unless you have one of those factory frankenmags or until such time that it is added to the Large Capacity roster. Of course, some dealers don't even like to sell any semi-autos to B-holders, so good luck with that.

BTW, Len, where did you get a 45MM magazine? That makes the firearm a destructive device, I'm pretty sure... [smile]

I'm going to have a hard time buying a semi auto with my class B?

More than a few FFLs have pretty much enacted their own policy against selling anything other than revolvers to B-holders.

More than a few FFLs have pretty much enacted their own policy against selling anything other than revolvers to B-holders.

That's pretty absurd, given that even most of the larger ones in MA will gladly sell an LTC-B holder a large number of semiautomatic handguns.

-Mike

Just reporting what I've seen posted here multiple times. It seems like some dealers insist that even a single-stack 1911 is verboten for B-holders.

That's pretty absurd, given that even most of the larger ones in MA will gladly sell an LTC-B holder a large number of semiautomatic handguns.

-Mike

I'm going to agree. I've found more dealers will sell any semi to a Mass Class B holder because, "All magazines in MA are 10 rounds."

Which scares me... When I'm working in the shop, I take the Conservative route and pretty much sell a class B holder anything that didn't leave the factory with 10 rounds. So, it's pretty much single stack semi's and revolvers.

I'd rather be cautious than feel horrible if someone got in trouble for the firearm I sold them.

But as it was said, the M&P .45 only comes from the factory with 10 round magazines. Much like the fact that I will sell a FID holder a Mini 14 or 10/22. It's when they buy the 25 round magazines that the 10/22 requires a Class B.

M&P45 is not considered hi-cap? I don't get it..... seems pretty clearly defined in MGL Chapter 140 section 121... excerpt:

“Large capacity weapon”, any firearm, rifle or shotgun: (i) that is semiautomatic with a fixed large capacity feeding device; (ii) that is semiautomatic and capable of accepting, or readily modifiable to accept, any detachable large capacity feeding device;....."

By that definition, it seems that all semiautos for which hi-cap mags are available qualify as hi-cap. And the AG would probably argue they're all hi-cap even if nobody makes hi-cap mags for them today.

What am I missing here?

Last edited:
Just reporting what I've seen posted here multiple times. It seems like some dealers insist that even a single-stack 1911 is verboten for B-holders.

And from what I've seen in the classifieds here on NES, more than a few people don't want to risk playing around with selling to someone who has an LTC-B.

M&P45 is not considered hi-cap? I don't get it..... seems pretty clearly defined in MGL Chapter 140 section 121... excerpt:

“Large capacity weapon”, any firearm, rifle or shotgun: (i) that is semiautomatic with a fixed large capacity feeding device; (ii) that is semiautomatic and capable of accepting, or readily modifiable to accept, any detachable large capacity feeding device;....."

By that definition, it seems that all semiautos for which hi-cap mags are available qualify as hi-cap. And the AG would probably argue they're all hi-cap even if nobody makes hi-cap mags for them today.

What am I missing here?

even though thats already in the laws i wouldn't go giving them any more ammo against people owning certain guns

What am I missing here?

The problem with this notional is, by that definition any semiautomatic handgun would be large capacity, if we used that definition verbatim. Any handgun which accepts a magazine is "capable of accepting" a large capacity mag. Whether or not they make a mag for it that is large capacity is mostly irrelevant here.

The "spirit and intent" of the law was not for it to extend to every handgun- Hence, that's why there are things like the large capacity weapons roster.

You need to fully understand the law (and the actual implementation of such, by the authorities holding power, eg, possibly case law, etc. ) before you'll
"get" it. The spirit and intent of the law was not to be "all expansive" in the regard you speak of. Scrivener and others have broken this down
before, but I don't have the relevant links offhand.

-Mike

Well, I tried to buy the M&p 45 today at a local shop. They denied me saying once a company produces a high capcity mag for that firearm you can't purchase it with a class B. They said i was stuck with basically single stack so I bought a walther pps.

If I was in your shoes I would have kept bopping around to different dealers until I found one that actually understood the law.

-Mike

And from what I've seen in the classifieds here on NES, more than a few people don't want to risk playing around with selling to someone who has an LTC-B.

Some of this might just be "habit." LTC-B as a license type in this state is a statistical anomaly. Even among a lot of red and yellow towns, most of those crap towns still issue restricted-A's as opposed to B-ramming.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom