M&P 45 front sight

I have a standard size M&P 45 and have a small problem with the front sight. The white dot is gone, apparently it's some type insert that's glued into place. Had it out last week to put some rounds down range and noticed that it had gone bye bye when I got home. The sights are factory and AFAIK are not glow in the dark type. I can still use the sights as is but it does irk me that the insert fell/flew off the sight. I debating on whether to send it back for repair or leave it be. Opinions please and has this happened to anyone else.

Black out rear sights and you can get by. Personally, I like a fiber optic front sight with blacked out rear sight to minimize distractions when sighting. Each person will prefer different setups. Go with what you shoot better with. I would definitely not leave your sights in your current configuration. Sights can be swapped if you have any mechanically inclinations.

Funny thing .That happened to the front sight on my S&W shield on Saturday.When I got home I raided my wife's make -up drawer and found white nail polish. I cleaned out the hole in the sight with degreaser and put a drop of nail polish in the hole . One hour later I added one more drop. Sunday morning back in the holster . The front sight now looks better than the rear,easy fix. I forgot to mention that I used a tooth pick to put the nail polish in the hole.

Last edited:
Funny thing .That happened to the front sight on my S&W shield on Saturday.When I got home I raided my wife's make -up drawer and found white nail polish. I cleaned out the hole in the sight with degreaser and put a drop of nail polish in the hole . One hour later I added one more drop. Sunday morning back in the holster . The front sight now looks better than the rear,easy fix. I forgot to mention that I used a tooth pick to put the nail polish in the hole.

This...the dot on the front sight of S&W semi-autos is a well known problem and has been observed in 3rd Gen guns as well.

No nail polish handy unfortunately but I called S&W and was given 2 choices. They could send me a new sight and install it myself but from the various horror stories I've read here on NES I sent it back for them to repair. Just as well as Ive been having feeding problem with factory 230 gr hardball so they can go over the pistol and correct any problems that they find. Thank you for the different solutions to the problem.

Go to a hobby shop. Buy a small container of paint in the color of your choice and a small artist's paint brush. Use some alcohol to degrease the site. Paint the front site. Done.

Same happened to me with my M&P45. I got a small set of Testers floresent modeling paint from Hobby Lobby at the Holyoke Mall for $4.95. Came with orange, green, yellow, blue red and pink florescent paints. I used a toothpick. I used yellow on the M&P and it worked well enough (so far) that I used the orange on my Hi Power.

Happened to my 9mm Shield first time I took it out to the range. I thought about fixing it with White Out but since I live near S&W I just dropped it off. Picked it up a couple weeks later, all better and they threw in a mag for my troubles.

YMMV.

No nail polish handy unfortunately but I called S&W and was given 2 choices. They could send me a new sight and install it myself but from the various horror stories I've read here on NES I sent it back for them to repair. Just as well as Ive been having feeding problem with factory 230 gr hardball so they can go over the pistol and correct any problems that they find. Thank you for the different solutions to the problem.

You want to hear a "horror story"? I called S&W after the front sight fell off of my 9mm M&P Pro and they told me to fix it myself!

Since I prefer fiber optic front sights I would install one in place of the failed factory unit. The installation is fairly straight forward, but you must fit the new front sight to the dovetail. This involves removing material from the base of the new sight until it can be drifted into the dovetail. This extra step is a good thing as it allows one sight to fit dovetails of varying dimensions.

The above would have sent me into wanting to talk to a manager. Lifetime warrantee means just that. If there's a problem with the pistol due to a FACTORY defect I expect the company to step up and fix it. Had a similar problem years ago,bought a used car and got an insurance policy on the engine/drive train. 3 months later the engine had a problem that was covered by the policy then a month later the transmission died. Company squawked to the company about the coverage but they paid. I called and read them the riot act as this is why I bought the policy. Told them if they didn't like paying for claims they should stop selling the policies and get out of the business.

The tech I spoke to explained that a bunch of 9mm M&P Pro slides left the factory with oversized dovetails which allowed the front sight to escape. He then explained that S&W's front sights were too small for the dovetail and that the only solution was to take a punch and disrupt the metal on the base of the front sight for an interference fit. In his opinion I might just as well do the repair myself rather than send the gun back to the factory.

Disrupting the metal on the sight base for an interference fit is a bush league attempt at a solution which is usually doomed to failure. I explained this to the tech and also mentioned that suppliers like Brownells stock after market front sights for the M&P which can be fitted to the dovetail for a successful, professional repair. He replied that they can only use S&W parts.

I gave up and ordered a replacement front sight from Brownells for $30. As I explained to S&W's "expert" the replacement front sight was large enough to require metal removal to fit even the oversized M&P Pro dovetail. I have been a fan of S&W pistols and customer service for many years but this experience has changed my opinion. S&W customer service SUCKS!

Back
Top Bottom