M&P .40c giving me trouble when loading all 10 rounds in a magazine.

Anyone else experience this with their M&P? Whether with the mini magazine, the pinky extension magazine, or even a fullsize magazine with an X-Grip, it's the same thing: If I load 10 rounds into the magazine, I have to push really hard to get it to snap into place.

If I load only 9 rounds, it goes in smooth as can be without much pressure.

It happens with all of the M&P 10 round magazines to my knowledge. Same thing goes for my M&P9c.

It's nearly impossible to go 10+1 with it. I gave up trying.

Some have had luck with taking a dremel to the follower to shorten it down a bit.

there is a video on you tube, how to modify an M&P magazine,

basically, cut about 1 1/2 coils of the follower spring and also cut off

some of the bottom of the follower, it makes getting 10 rounds

a little easier with a Lula loader. check out you tube....

Same happens with Glocks and some 10 round mags, the small amount of space left does not allow the round to depress easily as the bottom rib on the slide compresses it. Easiest way is to load the mag into the well with the slide back and just carry 9+1 instead. Mag should insert and lock easily if the slide is back.

I've not experienced issues putting that last one in the 40c magazine after the mag got a little broken in. It takes a few loadings I seem to remember to work the spring a bit. I don't advise cutting coils or taking a tool to it to whittle away at it. If after a reasonable time you have trouble still, contact the factory.

Last edited:
there is a video on you tube, how to modify an M&P magazine,

basically, cut about 1 1/2 coils of the follower spring and also cut off

some of the bottom of the follower, it makes getting 10 rounds

a little easier with a Lula loader. check out you tube....

this. once i ground down the follower a bit and shortened the spring it was much easier to load 10 rounds

I've not experienced issues putting that last one in the 40c magazine after the mag got a little broken in. It takes a few loadings I seem to remember to work the spring a bit. I don't advise cutting coils or taking a tool to it to whittle away at it. If after a reasonable time you have trouble still, contact the factory.

This....and just leave the mags loaded all the time and they'll break in and be fine after a while. I have a full size 9 and previously owned a 9c and both had this issue until broken in.

Anyone else experience this with their M&P? Whether with the mini magazine, the pinky extension magazine, or even a fullsize magazine with an X-Grip, it's the same thing: If I load 10 rounds into the magazine, I have to push really hard to get it to snap into place.

If I load only 9 rounds, it goes in smooth as can be without much pressure.

yup. Not much room left to compress the spring when you have a fully loaded mag. I slid it in then give it a quick sharp smack with the heal of my hand. never bothered me.

Besides, its only when inserting it into a gun with the slide closed. If I empty it and need to reload....the slide will be open. [wink]

Besides, its only when inserting it into a gun with the slide closed. If I empty it and need to reload....the slide will be open. [wink]

This is a very good point, and really the only thing I was concerned about. I was thinking perhaps having to change on the fly in a personal defense situation and having to mess with a new magazine under pressure would be worrisome.

I would likely give the mags a good while to loosen up before I would modify them. I'm not a huge fan of modifying stuff that should be relied upon for personal defense. If it ain't really broke, I don't think it's worth fixing it.

I wonder if they're made this way just to make Massachusetts bureaucrats happy. [hmmm]

Back
Top Bottom