1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

M&P 380 Shield EZ...Anyone have?/had?/shot?/carried? etc? (Wife needs "easy rack" LOL)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GlockJock, Mar 13, 2019.

1. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

Yep.

How about the LCR in 22lr? Holds 8 shots. Load it with hollow points.

2. DJ_2

DJ_2 NES Member

Have you given any though to The Springfield Armory XD-E? If you wanted to stick with a 9 it is much easier to rack than a striker fired pistol. Check out some vids on YouTube then try out at a store.

3. Slotheadslim

Slotheadslim NES Member

I don’t carry it and I’ve only taken it to the range a couple of times so honestly I don’t remember. Usually I do prefer a pinky extension if one is offered I but I’m not anywhere near it today so I can’t try it out. I found on the P238 the grips are rather small so something like that I definitely like the pinky extension but for the EZ it may not be necessary because the grips are more of a full size . I usually wear a large size glove and I found the grips to be pretty comfortable in general.

4. cjmass

cjmass NES Member

I too love my S&W .380 EZ, which is enjoyably easy to rack and has magazines which are also extremely easy to load. Its a very sweet shooter with little recoil excellent reliability and accuracy. Great choice for anyone with weak or arthritic hands.

5. Slotheadslim

Slotheadslim NES Member

None for me. On mine it’s the only safety. I don’t have the thumb safety and personally I wouldn’t get the one with the thumb safety now that I’ve shot and own the grip safety only model.

I think when it first came out S&W had a recall on the ones that had a thumb safety but it didn’t apply to the grip only safety.

6. ParrytheWind

ParrytheWind NES Member

Patriotarmsofne.com has a SW Shield 380 EZ in stock,.. if your in the area.

7. straightshooterjake

straightshooterjake

When someone has hand strength issues with racking a slide, then the double action trigger on a revolver is rarely a good solution. Usually, the same issues make double action shooting difficult. And it is very important that anyone using a revolver for defensive training focus entirely on double action.

If someone is considering a revolver as a first gun, then a medium sized steel gun is better than a snub nosed airweight. An airweight J-frame, like a 642, has stout recoil due to its light weight and small grip, a stiff trigger, a very short sight radius, and tiny sights. A 4" K-frame, like a model 10 or 15, has modest recoil due to its size and weight, good sights, and a comfortable grip. And due to the internal leverages, a tuned up K-frame can have a much better double action trigger than a J-frame.

Of course, a K-frame is much harder to carry and conceal. But the easy of carrying a J-frame is only an advantage if the user has fully functional level of control over it. Don't get me wrong. I am actually a big fan of the model 642, but I consider it a gun for experienced shooters.

I have not yet had the opportunity to shoot a Shield EZ, but I am looking forward to trying one. I have spoken to many shooters who have hand issues, and the Shield EZ appears to have been designed with their concerns in mind.

Slotheadslim, enbloc and FiremanBob like this.
  8. enbloc

enbloc NES Life Member NES Member

Great post Jake. ^

9. meh

meh NES Member

I was recently thinking about the 642 and rented one along with the equivalent Ruger LCR at MFS one night. Shot about 75 158 grain .38 specials at the high end of the standard pressure range. The trigger on the LCR is far better than the one on the 642. I assume that neither has had a trigger job and both are as broken in as they're going to get. I decided not to buy either one, but if I had to, I'd choose the LCR any day of the week and twice on Sunday's. Of course it costs more. Isn't that always the way. Speaking of costs more, not to mention harder to find, the .327 Federal Magnum version would be an interesting choice. Then one could shoot .32 Longs to work on fundamentals without encouraging a flinch. That's assuming you're not going to reload .327 Federal Magnum, in which case I'd never bother with the .32 Longs, just reload low-recoil .327 FM rounds.

10. richc

richc NES Member

There were a few girls in the neighborhood growing up that had easy racks. They were very popular!

:)

Fixxah likes this.
  11. ridleyman

ridleyman NES Member

.380 for a man, did you say?

Unknown-1.jpeg

12. enbloc

S&W should have put the grip safety on the front of the mag-well, not the back...

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    * I know, I know, the P7 has a "cocker", not a "safety"...

13. jkerm3

jkerm3 NES Member

Another choice to consider is the Ruger LCP2. It’s a .380, really easy to rack and load, very good trigger, extremely small and lightweight (~10oz) so super easy to carry, and no safety to worry about (just get a good holster). They are not on “the list” in MA but can be had (there is one right now in the classifieds for $340). I really like mine.

CBCF09FB-E26B-4FB9-BB3B-72DA0C992FC3.jpeg 3D8B25AB-5A68-4ED1-807F-57DA6938CF0A.jpeg

14. GlockJock

GlockJock NES Member

Damn...Six days after your post and nobody here has asked yet for..."Pics"??
    NES must be slipping

15. zork51

zork51 NES Member

I reached out to a forum member who sold one for his opinion post sale which I was grateful for and I bought one for GF who was intimidated at first firing my 9's. She never really shot pistol and was "awed" by the "boom" at first. I had bought a Ruger LC9s which also was a very nice little gun but sold it as it was not being carried or used and needed money for other things. GF and me both love the .380 shield. It is easy to rack AND load as it has a compression tab on top of the spring that rides in a slot while loading and it loads VERY VERY easy. The ammo costs a bit more that the 9 as it is not a mainstream caliber. Like another said on here, hope they sell MANY to drive the price down. So, thumbs up for the .380 EZ shield I also prefer the thumb safety, but there is no wrong choice for the buyer with or without for me. It's up to the individual.

enbloc likes this.
  16. BlacknRed

BlacknRed NES Member

I purchased one of these 9's and it is easy to rack. Has flush, pinky lip and extended mags as well. SA/DA. Nice little carry piece, but it is a bit snappy in the hand compared to heavier pieces of course.

17. enbloc

I feel this would be a better concealed carry piece due to its size. The Shield EZ 380 is a little too big for most women, or must be purse-carried, which would allow for a bigger pistol anyway...

18. enbloc

Great post zork. Thanks.