• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M&P 380 Shield EZ...Anyone have?/had?/shot?/carried? etc? (Wife needs "easy rack" LOL)

GlockJock

NES Member
I started to type "easy rack" and "my wife" in same sentence and realized I'd start off thread with a smile..(and probably create heavy usage for the "reply" button on the thread but that's what makes NES such a fun distraction from life's daily bullsh*t :D).

My wife loves shooting the LC9s, but has had problems in the past with racking the slide/locking it etc ..(and that gun is known for being "pretty easy") but now I'm thinking maybe they might be better off with a Shield EZ?
My daughter also carries the LC9s and also likes it, but she also has issues racking (she is petite and has tiny "girl hands" and the LC9s can be a challenge for her)....
I've been reading about the Shield EZ, supposedly a VERY easy rack and also loading mags is apparently easier cuz the mags have a little "tab which makes the follower easy to push/pull down ..
BUT....
While I know that shot placement is more important than ammo type/size/quality etc, I'm wondering if anyone else has shot/owns/carries an EZ and what you think, recommend etc for the wife and the "little one". Never owned anything in .380 and some say that particular ammo "sucks".. others say "shot placement is everything" (as mentioned above)..
Any input/thoughts are (like always) sincerely appreciated.

I have both the LC9s and the 380 EZ. The LC9s is one of the guns I carry. I take the EZ to the range only and it has performed flawlessly. I purchased the EZ as an easy rack option for my fiance who has fairly week hands so we could shoot together. Given the choice between the two rounds I personally think the 9MM is a better round but if you can't rack the slide I'd think if someone were shooting me in the face with a 380 I'd leave the scene. I wouldn't be stopping to ask myself "was that a 9mm?" so 380 isn't a bad choice and it seems like a good gun. Here's an article which might be helpful to those with weaker hands that need to work on slide racking technique You Can Rack A Slide. It’s Technique, not Strength.

I have both the LC9s and the 380 EZ. The LC9s is one of the guns I carry. I take the EZ to the range only and it has performed flawlessly. I purchased the EZ as an easy rack option for my fiance who has fairly week hands so we could shoot together. Given the choice between the two rounds I personally think the 9MM is a better round but if you can't rack the slide I'd think if someone were shooting me in the face with a 380 I'd leave the scene. I wouldn't be stopping to ask myself "was that a 9mm?" so 380 isn't a bad choice and it seems like a good gun. Here's an article which might be helpful to those with weaker hands that need to work on slide racking technique You Can Rack A Slide. It’s Technique, not Strength.
Can Rack A Slide. It’s Technique, not Strength. I am not saying that is wrong, it's good info. My wife has tried all that stuff and can only rack a few pistols. No matter what technique she tries. If the pistol has a lot of use it's easier for her, if it's a new pistol forget it.

Biggest concern is how easy the Shield EZ is to rack, and yes the ammo size also...

I took my sister to the LGS shop last week to try out the Shield EZ. She's about 5'3" and 100 lbs. She was able to rack the gun, but I still didn't think that it was the right gun for her, especially with the grip safety and the manual safety. In addition, it's a large gun, larger than the Shield 9mm, but it still weighs a couple of ounces less than the Shield 9.

I just felt that with the 2 safeties that it was going to confuse her because she's not going to be practicing with it on a constant basis, so I talked her into taking a look at the S&W 642 that she is still mulling over.

Get her a revolver. It might be an "easy rack" But what about if it stove pipes, jams, double feeds etc.. Would she have the strength to clear it and get the gun to run again?

These are other reasons why I think that the revolver is better for her.

I took my sister to the LGS shop last week to try out the Shield EZ. She's about 5'3" and 100 lbs. She was able to rack the gun, but I still didn't think that it was the right gun for her, especially with the grip safety and the manual safety. In addition, it's a large gun, larger than the Shield 9mm, but it still weighs a couple of ounces less than the Shield 9.

I just felt that with the 2 safeties that it was going to confuse her because she's not going to be practicing with it on a constant basis, so I talked her into taking a look at the S&W 642 that she is still mulling over.

These are other reasons why I think that the revolver is better for her.
Please list them. At least for my knowledge. Knowing is half the battle.
I am with you on that grip safety not a fan of them.

Please list them. At least for my knowledge. Knowing is half the battle.

I was referring to your comments about stove pipes, double feed, jams, and something that you didn't mention, a misfire due to a dud or bad primer strike. At least with a revolver, it would be much easier for her to rotate to the next chamber.

I was referring to your comments about stove pipes, double feed, jams, and something that you didn't mention, a misfire due to a dud or bad primer strike. At least with a revolver, it would be much easier for her to rotate to the next chamber.
Yep, I forgot about that one. Thanks

Theres a version of the shield EZ that has no manual safety on it.... of course if you're just going by generic MA trash guns I don't know if that SKU is distributor kosher or
not.

A smith 642 has a long ass learning curve, so hopefully she's ready for that business....

-Mike

Honest question, have you or your sister ever shot a 642?

Theres a version of the shield EZ that has no manual safety on it.... of course if you're just going by generic MA trash guns I don't know if that SKU is distributor kosher or
not.

A smith 642 has a long ass learning curve, so hopefully she's ready for that business....

-Mike

I didn't even think to ask about the non-manual safety version. We tried out at least a 1/2 dozen different guns, some of which she couldn't rack the slide. She's done pretty well shooting my Colt Detective Special and SP101, so I still think a revolver is for her although the 642 is lighter than both of these revolvers, so I'm still hung up on what is best for her.

Edit @sevenMMmag I have, but she hasn't so I am planning to take her to a range where she can rent one. As I mentioned it's lighter and kicks more than my other 2 guns that I mentioned (unless I sneak in a .357 round into the SP101 [laugh]).

Any other recommendations?

Last edited:
not.

-Mike

My Shield EZ has no thumb safety and it was purchased new through an LGS in MA.

Not just the slide. It’s easy to load and clean. That’s what they’re saying anyway.

Last edited:
My GF was in the same place, turned off from shooting because of difficulty racking the slide. She chose the S&W and has been happy since. It’s relatively large for a 380;not a good choice for CCW bang for the buck. But it’s a pretty accurate shooter for her and kept her in the game

I shot one after it was handed to me at a range. Nice little gun. I'd own one. Easy to rack for sure and gentle to fire. Almost too gentle...

If it's this or nothing. It beats the shit out of "nothing".

I started to type "easy rack" and "my wife" in same sentence and realized I'd start off thread with a smile..(and probably create heavy usage for the "reply" button on the thread but that's what makes NES such a fun distraction from life's daily bullsh*t :D).

My wife loves shooting the LC9s, but has had problems in the past with racking the slide/locking it etc ..(and that gun is known for being "pretty easy") but now I'm thinking maybe they might be better off with a Shield EZ?
My daughter also carries the LC9s and also likes it, but she also has issues racking (she is petite and has tiny "girl hands" and the LC9s can be a challenge for her)....
I've been reading about the Shield EZ, supposedly a VERY easy rack and also loading mags is apparently easier cuz the mags have a little "tab which makes the follower easy to push/pull down ..
BUT....
While I know that shot placement is more important than ammo type/size/quality etc, I'm wondering if anyone else has shot/owns/carries an EZ and what you think, recommend etc for the wife and the "little one". Never owned anything in .380 and some say that particular ammo "sucks".. others say "shot placement is everything" (as mentioned above)..
Any input/thoughts are (like always) sincerely appreciated.

I really like mine, as does everyone who's shot it. I did a write-up on it with lots of pictures. I recommend you shoot one and try it out. I don't know where "The CommonPuke of LiberChusetts" is, but if you're close to SoNH, you're welcome to shoot mine any time.

I see so many LGS’s with super low prices for new M&Ps, and then see the same store with scores for sale that are used or on consignment. Heck - look at the classifieds here. I don’t know if it’s an indictment on S&W’s build quality, sales volume, or both. In either event, you may want to consider going to a dealer that will let her fire off some rounds of that and comparable versions from other manufacturers.

Have her take a look at the Sig P238. I have one and love it for daily carry. I thought about going up to a P938, but haven’t been able to justify it as I really enjoy shooting the .380 and am comfortable with it.

For beginners and those who have hand strength problems with respect both to racking and to recoil management, the .380 Shield is just about the perfect pistol, provided it fits the way the person wants to carry it.

The trigger is much better than any DA revolver.
Using the thumb safety is optional, and the grip safety is idiot-proof.
The grip is large enough for a solid hold but not too large for even a small woman's hand, and the weight really reduces recoil.
It is really easy to take down for cleaning.

I'm a huge fan and sold many of them with consistently positive customer feedback post-purchase.

BBQ Auntie just bought one & she loves it. EZ to rack, load, fire, carry...everything.

It’s light and smooth. I fired it many many times. Handles like a 22.

She’s relatively new to firearms, but got pretty excited about this one. Her target here was at 20 feet. First time she had ever used the gun. She now trains with it and carries regularly.

7E5E3615-A343-44B9-950F-85D6C7973E72.jpeg

Have her take a look at the Sig P238. I have one and love it for daily carry. I thought about going up to a P938, but haven’t been able to justify it as I really enjoy shooting the .380 and am comfortable with it.

I have a P238 and the EZ so I just did a comparison. I love to shoot the P238 so I was very interested to see how they varied. I’ve shot the P238 a lot so it’s defintely broken in. The EZ I’ve shot a handful of times so I expected it to be tight. The EZ definitely racks easier than the P238 though the P238 is very easy to rack. I like the trigger on the EZ better. While the EZ is bigger I kind of like that it is as it gave me more to grab when it’s racked. It’s almost like the increased slide mass helped to push it along when racking if that makes sense. Also there are little nibs on the magazines like a 22LR which allow you to push down on the spring while you load it which to me makes it easier to load. If I had to pick one I’d pick the EZ.

I have a P238 and the EZ so I just did a comparison. I love to shoot the P238 so I was very interested to see how they varied. I’ve shot the P238 a lot so it’s defintely broken in. The EZ I’ve shot a handful of times so I expected it to be tight. The EZ definitely racks easier than the P238 though the P238 is very easy to rack. I like the trigger on the EZ better. While the EZ is bigger I kind of like that it is as it gave me more to grab when it’s racked. It’s almost like the increased slide mass helped to push it along when racking if that makes sense. Also there are little nibs on the magazines like a 22LR which allow you to push down on the spring while you load it which to me makes it easier to load. If I had to pick one I’d pick the EZ.

Interesting, and thanks for the feedback. Do you carry the magazine with the pinky extension? I am not a fan of the flush magazine and in fact ordered 3 of the extended versions based solely on comfort.

I guess I’ll have to try the EZ if I get the opportunity.

I hope sooooo many of these are sold, that it drops the cost of .380ACP...

Not just these, but a lot of cool .380s out. I picked up a Taurus Spectrum and it's been great. I really like it. I've seen a few online deals for .380 where it looks like it might be coming down a bit.

Back
Top Bottom