M&P 15-22 Consumer Safety Alert

M&P15-22 Consumer Safety Alert | Smith & Wesson

For anyone with an M&P 15-22, it's time to take a closer look at them and see if they have this problem. I have heard about problems off and on for a while, but I've never had any issues with mine. It's good to see S&W acknowledge a potential problem at least but it would be nice if there position was "we'll fix them all", not just "we'll fix yours when it's almost ready to have this happen."

i guess the Appleseed ban will remain in place lol, hard to hit dime sized redcoats in full auto mode

i guess the Appleseed ban will remain in place lol, hard to hit dime sized redcoats in full auto mode
Yup! And here I was thinking that maybe Appleseed was overreacting based on my admittedly small sample size. But better safe than sorry regardless. I'm headed to Pelham for the April Appleseed and will probably be shooting 5.56 since I can't use my 15-22 and don't really want to use my other .22

Last edited:
I just wish they'd publish the spec instead of making everyone wait for a gauge. The gauge is nice to have for most, but some folks already have a full set of gauges and wouldn't need to wait if they'd just tell us what it should be.

M&P15-22 Consumer Safety Alert | Smith & Wesson

For anyone with an M&P 15-22, it's time to take a closer look at them and see if they have this problem. I have heard about problems off and on for a while, but I've never had any issues with mine. It's good to see S&W acknowledge a potential problem at least but it would be nice if there position was "we'll fix them all", not just "we'll fix yours when it's almost ready to have this happen."

Thanks for sharing...

Thanks for the heads up. I only shot mine a few times and thought it was a piece of crap. I prefer my Tac-Sol .22lr uppers, so much nicer.

But I am going to get the gauge, doubt I will ever shoot my M&P 15-22 again but I may sell it and would want the piece of mind that it has no issues.

I just ordered my free bolt inspection gauge tool from S&W: M&P 15-22 Bolt Inspection Gauge

REx3wTZh.png

When will S&W start making new rifles with this problem fixed?

I want to get one but not a faulty one.

Well the notice says affected units built before 2-1-19. Presumably they've made adjustments to current builds.

Ordered a gauge as well.

Last edited:
a few years ago I shot one that had that issue at a range in PA. It was shooting 2 round bursts. They said they would let me shoot it but it was "broken" when i asked what was wrong they told me about the multiple-shots and i told them "and the problem is" I own that same gun and had mine with me and thought of trying to give them my bolt, but decided not to. It was kinda cool to shoot.

Why does that page carry a P65 warning ???
I doubt that gauge will give you cancer, and the only reproductive harm will be if you shoot yourself in the nuts while trying to use it.

Probably whatever coating or anodizing is on it. Because if you were to grind it off in large quantities and eat it like lead paint chips, you might produce a funny looking kid. [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom