M&P 10 compatible parts?

wasralex22

NES Member
Out of curiosity. I'm looking to upgrade my AR10 furniture.
What AR15 parts are compatible to the M&P 10? Specifically, stocks, forend, pistol grip.

Thanks!

Unfortunately the S&W m&p 10 is fairly proprietary in terms of handguards, parts etc. Most AR10's are.

You will have to look for specific made parts. Or go custom

??

my understanding is the M&P 10 is neither an AR-10 nor technically an LR-308 layout but something in between. however for parts like pistol grip, stocks, forends none of that should matter. in general when you get into 308 AR platforms one finds a whole lot more variability but everything is work-able. you should have no problem swapping your furniture on that rifle. if you're dicking around with the upper might as well free-float that barrel and install an adjustable gas block. these rifles are awfully over-gassed. it should have a rifle length receiver extension tube. if not that would be another upgrade I would be doing. then go with a rifle length stock like the magpul MOE whatever you like.

Pistol grips and buttstocks and sights are about the only thing that is compatible. The gas system is a carbine Or midlength + 2" i believe. Which is nonstandard. Charging handle is non standard. And everything else internal is non standard. But like most , AR10s do not have a universal standard.

AERO, and Savage might have the traditional parts compatibility.

why does everyone have to refer to .30 cal AR pattern rifles as AR-10. they are not. the S&W is not armalite pattern. if there's so much confusion about how to build or modify a rifle then call S&W and let them advise. all of these rifles are modify-able if one learns them.

A little help: Given the proprietary nature of my S&W M&P10, I'd love to have an extra complete upper w barrel, for when mine wears down. Does anyone have specifics on how I could accomplish that? The uppers, last I checked, are not sold by S&W, which, at a glance, almost makes the guns disposable. Love mine, by the way.

I have an MP10, and it appears you can switch to a DPMS standard barrel, but you have to also switch the BCG. If you do both then you will have no issues. Stock BCG and barrel are proprietary, but both can be swapped out. Note, I have not tried this, but it's simply what I found in my search. Have spent hours looking into new trigger options.

Last edited:
A little help: Given the proprietary nature of my S&W M&P10, I'd love to have an extra complete upper w barrel, for when mine wears down. Does anyone have specifics on how I could accomplish that? The uppers, last I checked, are not sold by S&W, which, at a glance, almost makes the guns disposable. Love mine, by the way.
I have replaced my barrel with Ballistic Advantage 18'' heavy barrel. (approx 230.00 dollars). Out of box groups of .75 moa at 100 yds, No FTF's/FTE's(Federal Match 168gr. BTHP) BCG also must be replaced. I am using a Toolcraft 308 bolt carrier group Nickel Boron (JOE Bobs Outfitters). Also woth mentioning is that , the Ballistics Barrel installed is a "RIFLE " length gas system, .750 gas block, I am using a carbine buttstock, buffer tube, with a H-3 buffer(5.5 oz), took all of the "OVERGAS" issues out of this rifle (MP10). Smooth accurate rifle. As far as a STRIPPED UPPER, I am not aware of any that is interchangeable.

Follow up: Has anyone out there found a solution to replacing the M&P 10 barrel, that 100% works and is tested? TY!
Yep. I've done it. Poster above you is right.

It's the bolt lugs and barrel extension on the M&P10 that are proprietary (and a few other weird, but insignificant things s&w lawyers came up with probably). I bought a spare s&w upper from numrich, and had a barrel made, picked up a separate BCG, and I was in business. Other than the bolt/barrel lugs, pretty much everything else is DPMS/LR308 (not Armalite/AR10). I swap out my custom upper with the standard s&w upper with no issues.

Yep. I've done it. Poster above you is right.

It's the bolt lugs and barrel extension on the M&P10 that are proprietary (and a few other weird, but insignificant things s&w lawyers came up with probably). I bought a spare s&w upper from numrich, and had a barrel made, picked up a separate BCG, and I was in business. Other than the bolt/barrel lugs, pretty much everything else is DPMS/LR308 (not Armalite/AR10). I swap out my custom upper with the standard s&w upper with no issues.

About to buy an S&W M&P10 Upper, from Numrich, and build my own M&P10 Upper in .308 and get away from proprietary issues.

Thoughts on AR10 barrel and handguard? Not looking to break the bank but would like accuracy and quality.

& if anyone else has thoughts, appreciate your perspective. Thx.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom