• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M and P 15-22 vs Ruger SR22 Rifle

I'm looking for a .22 rifle and am interested in these two for target and general plinking. I've shot the S and W and been very impressed. How the Ruger? Any others I should be considering?

I have shot the S&W and I own a Ruger 10/22 which is what the SR22 is based off of. The S&W has AR style controls and pretty much mimics an AR and can take AR accesories, sights etc. The Ruger is essentially a 10/22 in an AR style stock. Nothing against that, but as an AR trainer, it wont have the same firing and safety controls.

FWIW, the 10/22 is legendary in it's own right as a semi auto 22. But if you weren't into is being an AR clone, you could pick up a base model 10/22, toss it into an Archangel 556 stock, and have a tactical 22 for $150 less than the S&W.

M&P 15-22 or Ruger 10/22... skip the SR22 rifle.

^this! Both of these are excellent rifles by themselves, but I see no point to the SR22 rifle as it is a wanna be AR but with different manual of arms. If you want an AR style rifle just get the 15-22 because as said before it operates just like a regular AR so for training it is perfect. If I was going for a 10/22, I'd get the takedown version for the cool factor. BTW, it sucks that Ruger uses the "SR22" designation for both that rifle, and the new handgun. Makes it very confusing in discussion threads.

I love my S&W M&P15-22.

It's very close to the same controls of a real AR.

Pros:
1. My girlfriend doesn't cry when she shoots it. In fact she loves it. She refuses to shoot the AR.
2. It is a lightweight version of the AR and is so easy to handle it's ridiculous
3. It is extremely accurate (match grade barrel)
4. It comes with a free float tube already.
5. You can put AR furniture on it and accessories just like any other AR. (there are a few exceptions)

Cons:
1. The collapsible stock recesses are not that great. The standard M4 stock that I have on mine can be moved by slapping the end of it. I would have preferred for the recessed to be a bit better defined so the stock will always stay in it's intended position. This could be a stock problem though. I haven't tried it with outer stocks.
2. The lower receiver is just slightly different than the standard AR. I couldn't fit the Magpul BAD lever on it without modifying it. I got it to work eventually.

Not to thread jack but can the s&w be converted to .223 the way the .223 AR's can he converted to 22lr? I ask cuz I'm in the same spot as the op for a plinking gun

Where do you find these girls? I just took the second tiny girl out to the range today who left with one thing certain... she would be buying a 12 gauge. That is 2 sub 120# girls in a row, the first one already bought her 870. What are you shooting out of your AR, .50 Beuowulf?

Mike

Not to thread jack but can the s&w be converted to .223 the way the .223 AR's can he converted to 22lr? I ask cuz I'm in the same spot as the op for a plinking gun
No.it can't but I wouldn't have it any other way. the 15-22 is much lighter than an AR.
I've dealt with conversion kits before and they are seldom as reliable as a dedicated caliber.

Where do you find these girls? I just took the second tiny girl out to the range today who left with one thing certain... she would be buying a 12 gauge. That is 2 sub 120# girls in a row, the first one already bought her 870. What are you shooting out of your AR, .50 Beuowulf?

Mike
my girlfriend started with an aversion to guns that has been hard to break.
Her cousin killed himself with his father's gun and her other cousin was shot in Iraq (survived but 2 of his men did not)

She has a hard time disconnectiong those two incidents when she shoots.

M&P 15-22 AND Ruger 10/22... skip the SR22 rifle.

FIFY

I've never shot the SR22 either, but I've been very impressed with the 15-22. I'm going to be the guy to say it, but here it goes: if you live in MA, get the short 10-rounder mags. The full size (but 10 round capacity) mags are the worst of two worlds. They're big and in the way and lack the little thumb thingy you use when reloading. I end up sticking my Jeep key through the hole to pull the follower down. PITA. The short ones, no problemo.

The 10/22 is a must have regardless and isn't really a factor in this discussion.

FIFY

I've never shot the SR22 either, but I've been very impressed with the 15-22. I'm going to be the guy to say it, but here it goes: if you live in MA, get the short 10-rounder mags. The full size (but 10 round capacity) mags are the worst of two worlds. They're big and in the way and lack the little thumb thingy you use when reloading. I end up sticking my Jeep key through the hole to pull the follower down. PITA. The short ones, no problemo.

The 10/22 is a must have regardless and isn't really a factor in this discussion.

I fully agree on the mags, and the short ones to me feel like they are better quality anyway. I did modify my long ones though to have the follower buttons too, because as you said it is a big p.i.t.a. without them.

Back
Top Bottom