I have one of the Burris RT6's, it's been solid for the money, I've run it on a few different guns, including a slug gun for deer season, it's held up fine to Brenneke slug recoil.

If you can't afford the Razor 1-6 (like me), the Viper PST 1-6 gen2 is the next best option. Same reticle, same dimensions, same magnification range. The selling point for me was that it is one of the few LPVOs in the mid range price class that has a daylight bright dot. Some say that the PST is 80% of the razor at 40% of the price and after taking a closer look at the Razor earlier this year, I tend to agree. The glass sure isn't as nice, but neither is the glass on your other choices. Also, with the Viper, you get a made in Japan product with jap glass. You can probably find one around $500 out there if you look around a little.

budget LPVOs suck. Unless shelling out well over $1k i wouldn’t waste my time on an LPVO. They also blow at close ranges compared to a non magnified. The weight is also annoying. ounces quickly turn to pounds. Go with a red dot or holographic w a 3x magnifier. Far more versatile than an LPVO. If you absolutely need an LPVO save $$ and get something top notch, nightforce, kahles, spectreDR, trijicon maybe. I have a pile of budget LPVOs and regret all except maybe the Steiner PX4i which still sucks compared to a Stupid holosun w a 3x when needed.

building a clone and cant afford does not work in the same sentence :D

anyhow get the cheaper vortex, the strike eagle or whatever

and as far as muzzle brake, if you're building a urgi clone, skimping on the optic is one thing but at least get the near clone urgi from geissele with the surefire 4 prong

If you can't afford the Razor 1-6 (like me), the Viper PST 1-6 gen2 is the next best option. Same reticle, same dimensions, same magnification range. The selling point for me was that it is one of the few LPVOs in the mid range price class that has a daylight bright dot. Some say that the PST is 80% of the razor at 40% of the price and after taking a closer look at the Razor earlier this year, I tend to agree. The glass sure isn't as nice, but neither is the glass on your other choices. Also, with the Viper, you get a made in Japan product with jap glass. You can probably find one around $500 out there if you look around a little.

This is what I would do, the Viper 1-6 is pretty good for the price, just heavy, like the razor.

I literally just put on my new Swampfox 1x10 and it’s an absolute beast of a mid range scope. The glass is crisp with good eye relief at 10x and it’s a true 1x with a great reticle. Check it out on YouTube, I paid under $600 for it and am very happy with it. The only knock is it’s a touch heavy 5346411D-ACD7-4A8E-9076-5BCFCDF4FBD7.jpeg

I just got my primary arms slx Monday, I'll be putting it on my mcx in the morning and heading to the range Thursday to sight it in.

I'm in mass so I'm going with the surefire brake and not the flash hider. Just wanted to know if it was long enough so it complies with NFA.

oh yeah, forgot about that. i guess the SFMB is the closest you'll get. and yes it'll be long enough. the brake, the 3 prong, and the 4 prong are all the same length. 2.6" and when mounted to a 14.5" barrel, it'll be >16" overall

KAC front sight, matech rear, b5 sopmod stock?

I already have the Matech rear. Is there a way to make a b5 "adjustable" but not collapsible? Such as converting it so you need a tool or tip of a bullet to adjust it.

This worked on the B5 sopmod I just installed:

Edit: strictly speaking about functionality, not legality

1: The Vortex Razor isn’t an official URGI issued item. The Nightforce ATACR 1-8 won the SOCOM contract.

2: However, there have been a good number of Razor 1-6s used in ongoing contingency operations around the world. But there have also been Viper PSTs used successfully by those same guys.

3: The Primary Arms 1-6 ACSS is a great budget option. I can’t speak to the 1-8. And whether you do SFP or FFP is up to you. Going up to 4x-6x, SFP is great because I’m Not going to be zooming part way in and needing BDC. Get past 6x, and FFP begins to be nice. Because I’m not always going to be zooming in all the way to 8x or 10x in order to make a shot where I need BDC and wind holds.

I literally just put on my new Swampfox 1x10 and it’s an absolute beast of a mid range scope. The glass is crisp with good eye relief at 10x and it’s a true 1x with a great reticle. Check it out on YouTube, I paid under $600 for it and am very happy with it. The only knock is it’s a touch heavy View attachment 404592

I have a Swampfox 1-8x on one of my rifles. I'll second the quality on it, and the price is dirt cheap for what you get.

I have the primary arms 1-6 you listed. I dont really run it hard but it hasnt lost zero for me and looks pretty sharp.

I have both the vortex viper pst first gen and second gen

both are solid. I just like the dot only on the pst II vs the retical in the gen 1.

That was also a concern of mine. All of these are made in China except the Burris and the Leupold. Now from what I understand Burris is made in the Philippines and Leupold is questionable as to whether they really are made in USA.

not home so can’t look at the box’s but I think the vipers are Japan or at least the Philippines. The lesser ones are China.

Another plug for the PA 1-6 X 24 ACSS. Bang for buck is hard to beat. I met a fellow member at my club (he was nice enough to let me try out his RPR) and his first comment upon looking through the optic was “it’s so clear!”.

I have two PST 1-4x. One is on a 18” I use for 3 gun and the other on a .308. Very solid optics that can take a beating. I’m contemplating the gen 2 in 1-6 and 2-10 flavor.

Viper gen2 is definetly not made in China. That was one of my selection criteria. Leupold are assembled in the US, but they state somewhere that their glass is "made in Asia". Japanese glass would be a selling point, so you can bet the farm they'd mention it if the glass was Japanese. I'm actually not even a big Vortex fan except for the 1-6 viper PST and their Razor line, but at your price point, they're hard to beat. I don't think the PA has a daylight bright dot/reticle, which defeats the purpose of the 1X.

I have two PST 1-4x. One is on a 18” I use for 3 gun and the other on a .308. Very solid optics that can take a beating. I’m contemplating the gen 2 in 1-6 and 2-10 flavor.

I love the gen 2 pst with just a dot. My 3-gun optic. 1x6 is nice.

Nice to see everyone so happy to support communists
It’s a global economy. iphones and androids are made in China too. More than half of the rare earth elements in all of your electronics and cars come from Chinese mines in Africa. That is a way more strategic power hold China has than making optics. Are you going to stop buying cars and all electronics too? I avoid buying crap products from China. I avoid buying chinese electronics as much as I can. But the Primary Arms ACSS optics and Holosun optics are good products that do what I need.

I mostly have Trijicon and Nightforce optics, but damned if the ACSS reticles aren’t good, and damned if the Holosun optics don’t have amazing features and durability regardless of price. I’m not going to intentionally handicap the functionality of tools that I might need to use to save the lives of my family.

It’s a global economy. iphones and androids are made in China too. More than half of the rare earth elements in all of your electronics and cars come from Chinese mines in Africa. That is a way more strategic power hold China has than making optics. Are you going to stop buying cars and all electronics too? I avoid buying crap products from China. I avoid buying chinese electronics as much as I can. But the Primary Arms ACSS optics and Holosun optics are good products that do what I need.

I mostly have Trijicon and Nightforce optics, but damned if the ACSS reticles aren’t good, and damned if the Holosun optics don’t have amazing features and durability regardless of price. I’m not going to intentionally handicap the functionality of tools that I might need to use to save the lives of my family.
Agreed 100%. These guys that talk shit about “Supporting Communists” are frauds, yea their hearts & minds are in the right place but if they want to go all patriotic they can go through their entire house and livelihoods and throw away everything they own that has a part in it made in China. Not to mention 99% of the time unless they EBay it directly from a Chinese seller based in China they are supporting an American and his business. Speaking of Holosun I’ve had their optics and they are a great option as well.

I'm building a URGI clone and since I can't afford the actual vortex optic that goes with it I'm looking for input. Scopes I've looked at are Leupold vx freedom ar 1.5-4x, Burris RT6 and primary arms 1-6x acss Gen III. I want this to be a good all around carbine. Also wondering if a surefire brake is good to get a 14.5 inch barrel to 16 inches OAL. Thanks in advance.

Pay up for the real thing.

A quality optic is a lifetime investment. Companies that actually make quality optics, like Zeiss, Kahles, Swarovski, Leupold (their top end products, their low end products have the lenses fall out), and now Vortex has positioned themselves in the "alpha glass" category to use a term from another forum, will support their products for generations. The Vortex Razor Gen 2 1-6x24 isn't even that much, selling for around $1400 on Amazon (don't buy from Amazon, too many scams when dealing with Amazon's third party vendors, just comes in handy as a universal price reference).

Now, obviously, even "just" $1400 is still a lot of money, so wait for deals. Black Friday is coming up and guns, mags, and ammo aren't likely going to go on sale. That leaves stuff like optics and mounts. Look for promo codes. Sign up for notifications. Try a group buy or join websites with stronger interests in high end glass. Haggle with cash in hand. Buy used from a trusted source. There's ways to get prices down.

If you're going to clone a gun, and I'm working on a couple such projects myself but with FALs rather than ARs, clone the gun properly.

Edit:

I read @PappyM3's post and Nightforce is also very good glass from what I've read - I don't have hands on experience with Nightforce. My opinion, which is just mine, is to buy the best glass possible. If I had to pick, I'd probably pursue the Nightforce 1-8 over the Vortex 1-6. I have a Kahles 1-6 and a 1-5 and both are essentially maxed out at 300 yards. I'm curious about a 1-8 or a 1-10 for future builds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom