• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Luger Question...

glockstar

NES Member
I recently inherited a 1939 Luger S/42 that I would guestimate somewhere in the area of 90% - 95% condition. Not knowing much about this particular gun I guess I'm asking where a reliable source for its value and marking info could be found. All serial #'s are matching so id assume thats a plus. Is this something I can shoot or better off just passing along to one of the kids in years to come? Any info you guys can shoot my way is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

You might try asking at the Luger Forum. I suggest you post some pictures, because I get the impression that differently marked Lugers can have significantly different values.

I sent you a PM back. Like I said post a few pics. Lugers vary wildly in price as to markings, condition, rarity, ect.
I also have to mention that out of all of the Third Reich Lugers, the early ones are more available. The more rare ones are the 1940-1942 with '42 being the last ones to be built. Also with a Luger 90% of the parts have serial numbers. Usually the last 2 numbers on small parts. To see if a Luger is truly mathing you must feild strip it and check everything. Like I said in the PM, post some pics, I can give you more insight.

Last edited:
I recently inherited a 1939 Luger S/42 that I would guestimate somewhere in the area of 90% - 95% condition. Not knowing much about this particular gun I guess I'm asking where a reliable source for its value and marking info could be found. All serial #'s are matching so id assume thats a plus. Is this something I can shoot or better off just passing along to one of the kids in years to come? Any info you guys can shoot my way is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I am no "EXPERT" when it comes to lugers specificly, but I do have a thing for "kraut" guns... In a nut shell S/42 marked lugers are "fairly" common, yours sounds to be in great shape (but with out pics it hard to say for sure). I'd ball park it based only on your post at the $1000-1200 "ball park", but that is nothing but ballpark. Regardless I would put it in the "collectable-shooter" catagory. It all comes down to your comfort level as to if you will shoot it (or "save" it) I say no reason not to shoot it, its a gun thats what they were built to do (I don't worry about shooting my 90-95% MP44, and I can guarantee there are a hell of a lot less of them around than s/42 lugers).

Thanks.

I am no "EXPERT" when it comes to lugers specificly, but I do have a thing for "kraut" guns... In a nut shell S/42 marked lugers are "fairly" common, yours sounds to be in great shape (but with out pics it hard to say for sure). I'd ball park it based only on your post at the $1000-1200 "ball park", but that is nothing but ballpark. Regardless I would put it in the "collectable-shooter" catagory. It all comes down to your comfort level as to if you will shoot it (or "save" it) I say no reason not to shoot it, its a gun thats what they were built to do (I don't worry about shooting my 90-95% MP44, and I can guarantee there are a hell of a lot less of them around than s/42 lugers).

What securityboy said, it's a personal decision for you to make. I have a few Lugers with matching numbers and I won't shoot them, if you have some sort of failure with the gun and damage it or break one of the small numbered parts it hurts the collectability of the firearm. Ultimately it doesn't matter what I or SB do with our WWII relics, as far as your gun is concerned, it's all up to you.

FWIW, "Tales of The Gun/Guns of The World: The Luger" is on History International right now, it will be re-broadcast at 16:00 today on the same channel.

Back
Top Bottom