• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lucky my brother carries.

Jason6, you may be the best guy in the whole world, I don't know. I do hope for your sake you never end up in a situation like the OP's brother because, my friend, we may be seeing you on the news or in the obits.[thinking]

Wow I go to China town all the time..Usually once or twice a month..Have any of you that say its a shat hole been down there in the last 20 years??..It is far from the Combat zone that it was when I was a kid..I am more worried about getting jumped in downtown Worcester than I am in China town.. Anyone not asian sticks out like a sore thumb and the blue vest China town patrol is usually not to far behind them [laugh]
Hey now, don't let actual real world experience get in the way of the NES Groupthink!

"He who seeks peace prepares for war." Criminals are usually pretty good at spotting the easy marks. Downtown late at night I'm more concerned with drunks rolling out of the bars as they respond irrationally. It's always a good idea to have good situational awareness.

With long warm summer nights, it is crime season. The criminals around here could grab handbags all day from young women walking down the street texting: I think some of them wouldn't even notice that!
Recently an older woman was robbed on a guy on a bicycle, who then took off the wrong way up a one-way.

The number one tip I would offer people is know where you are going and walk with a purpose. Walking through Chinatown in general, no problem. Walking down dark deserted streets - not a great idea.

Last edited:
Would it have been ok for him to look left and right after they took off?

[rofl]

wat wus thread count on bad guys shirts?

I am actually really combat hard after watching that video

He reluctantly holstered the shit out of that firearm.

Last edited by a moderator:
this story personally hits because although I have never had that happen to me I have had countless friends jumped and robbed. I live in Boston and their way of dealing with the crime is restricting my license to target an hunting. The only way to get it lifted is if that were to happen to me and I would have to be a victim before I was allowed to defend myself. Sad really I love this city I was born and raised here yet I can't walk at night because I know what happens

One thing I didn't see that I'll throw out there.

He should have told his wife to run.

I've lived in Boston and Lowell most of my life and used to work late in Chinatown. I can't judge the OP's brother. I've lived and worked in bad areas long enough to know that once they turned around, there was very little time to react. My life has not been without violent encounters and although running has worked, it's not always an option. I have made it very clear to my wife that if the SHTF she is to get herself (and the kids) as much distance as possible.

((Obviously by the time someone has a knife to your chest its a crapshoot if drawing a gun is going to help. I think if you're the type to wonder if a gun would help in some situation, then chances are you also don't have the proper mindset to be alert enough to avoid the situation altogether by acting before someone is right in your face.))

Really? You don't think so? Well, when I'm walking past anyone, or anyone is around me, my right hand is ALWAYS in my pocket, on my S&W 442. Just in case of stuff like this. (yes, Mr. President, it's "bitterly clinging" to the .38 because the young scumballs you enjoy seeing litter your Chicago hometown are here in MA too)... And I "practice draw" constantly, and draw/shoot when at the range. Fast, and ACCURATE.

Pull a knife on me and you'd better hope the .38cal +p hollow point hits the blade of the knife, cause otherwise it's gonna explode in your chest as the knife falls harmlessly to the pavement. I'll deal with the "Zimmerman consequences" later, cuz at least, like Zimmerman, I'll live to tell my side of the confrontation.

Last edited:
I'm gonna practice my Gomer Pyle smile now. Best weapon against hoodlums, second only to a 44 mag and a pack of Newport:

full_metal_jacket_gomer_pyle.jpg

Definitely better than nods and eye contacts.

Been jumped once, but it was not robbery, just punks who wanted to brawl. I can tell you it is not fun. You never quite forget the feeling of helplessness and fear. And it's not like the movies. I don't care how good a fighter you think you are, when you're surrounded and taking punches and kicks from all sides you will lose.

If I had been alone on that street in Boston I would have just run as fast as my bandy little legs could carry me. With my wife or another loved one though, I would have done exactly what the OP did.

One thing I didn't see that I'll throw out there.

He should have told his wife to run.

I've lived in Boston and Lowell most of my life and used to work late in Chinatown. I can't judge the OP's brother. I've lived and worked in bad areas long enough to know that once they turned around, there was very little time to react. My life has not been without violent encounters and although running has worked, it's not always an option. I have made it very clear to my wife that if the SHTF she is to get herself (and the kids) as much distance as possible.

No Way! That is a horrible idea. If she takes off, one BG chases her and she has to deal with him all by herself. The herd stays together. The lions try to seperate the weak.
Depending on what I am carrying, the only way they are getting at my family is if they can dodge 25 rounds of .45 ACP or 37 rounds of .40

No Way! That is a horrible idea. If she takes off, one BG chases her and she has to deal with him all by herself. The herd stays together. The lions try to seperate the weak.
Depending on what I am carrying, the only way they are getting at my family is if they can dodge 25 rounds of .45 ACP or 37 rounds of .40

It's a fair point, but having been in the situation, I still think she should run. There's nothing she will be able to do by staying there, and running gets her closer to the rest of the herd, shelter, or a hiding place. Your best bet would be to chase the chaser if that's what happens. Up to that point, you're running block.

If you fend off the attack, it's probably moot. If they match your fire power or otherwise kill you, and she's still there, she's going to die. What benefit is there to her sticking around?

Very easy to play armchair quarterback after the fact. Truth is, you have to make a decision in a split second.

My first reaction would always be to put myself in between the threat and a loved one. No different than when in a car and I sense a possible accident, I put out my arm in front of the passenger, even though I know it won't do any good, it's THE reaction.

Last edited:
Why is this odd? If, as in the past, when it was a five year license, and you renewed two years ago, you will have had it seven years. Just like anyone saying "I've had my ltc for X number of years. Did I miss something?

I DO agree about the reading comprehension!

It's a fair point, but having been in the situation, I still think she should run. There's nothing she will be able to do by staying there, and running gets her closer to the rest of the herd, shelter, or a hiding place. Your best bet would be to chase the chaser if that's what happens. Up to that point, you're running block.

If you fend off the attack, it's probably moot. If they match your fire power or otherwise kill you, and she's still there, she's going to die. What benefit is there to her sticking around?

Sooooo.... now my wife is running and being chased, and I am chasing them both, and three other bad guys are chasing me. Sounds like a Scooby Doo episode.

My 50 year old wife is probably not going to out run a twenty something male. I am not running either. I am a 6'1", 265lb, aging Marine. My running days are over. I also shoot once a week on average and have taken tons of shooting classes, have been shooting since I was six and was an 03 Marine in my 20's. and have been in a few situations myself. My wife also carries.

The benefit to her sticking around is additional fire power, and if I was incapacitated, I expect she would keep shooting. And did I miss something in the original post where the punks all drew firearms when the potential victims showed his Glock?

Prey runs. I am not prey. I will defend myself. That is why I carry. I may get shot, but I am sure as shit not going to be shot in the back, running away

Back
Top Bottom