Lubrication

Just use Mobil 1 on it and stop worrying about it.

You do know that synthetic oil seeps into the skin and may cause cancer right?
Thats why mechanics wear those blue special gloves when dealing with it.
Not trolling, it's true.

I use gun oil on all the metal, and gun lubricant on the rails. Go easy on both because it will migrate to the rest of the gun when left in one position too long.

Clean and oil your guns after each range session and you will be just fine. DO NOT USE WD40, your gun is not a squeaky door hinge.

I know I'm new here, but this is not my first gun forum.

Last edited:
Used motor oil (regular or synthetic) is a carcinogen. I've never read anything that says new motor oil is. Further, how do you know that gun oil doesn't if what you say is true?

Not trolling, it's true.

I use gun oil on all the metal, and gun lubricant on the rails. Go easy on both because it will migrate to the rest of the gun when left in one position too long.

Clean and oil your guns after each range session and you will be just fine. DO NOT USE WD40, your gun is not a squeaky door hinge.

I know I'm new here, but this is not my first gun forum.

I was down at Cabellas the other week and picked up some shooters choice grease. I put a little on the slide rails and it wasn't too bad to clean, but I am waiting for a couple range trips/cleanings to really form an impression of how much of a mess it does/doesn't make.

Used motor oil (regular or synthetic) is a carcinogen. I've never read anything that says new motor oil is. Further, how do you know that gun oil doesn't if what you say is true?
I would not assume that any new or old motor oil isn't carcinogenic. Traditional or Synthetic. With all the additives for various effects, there's plenty of reasons to keep that stuff off your skin . Ballistol at least states on their bottle " NonCarcinogenic" and "Biodegradable" . Not sure I'd even let that soak my fingers daily, but it's got to be an improvement over motor oil of any type.

Last edited:
I would not assume that any new or old motor oil isn't carcinogenic. Traditional or Synthetic. With all the additives for various effects, there's plenty of reasons to keep that stuff off your skin . Ballistol at least states on their bottle " NonCarcinogenic" and "Biodegradable" . Not sure I'd even let that soak my fingers daily, but it's got to be an improvement over motor oil of any type.

I'm not too worried about it. The combustion byproducts in the used oil are what causes cancer. Not the oil itself.

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=17001001

I do wear nitrile gloves when changing the oil in my car.

I'm not too worried about it. The combustion byproducts in the used oil are what causes cancer. Not the oil itself.

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=17001001

I do wear nitrile gloves when changing the oil in my car.
Yup, I wear the gloves when changing the oil too. I'll have to check in my shed tomorrow but I thought I saw a warning on motor oil jug about cancer. "State of California has determined..." I've got to the point of suspecting almost everything could have a cancer suspected chemical in it. Heck, even some hand creams have been reported to. I am especially weary of anything that goes on or in your body that says "Made in China" on it. I tell my wife to stop buying liquid soap marked as such. I know...paranoid ,over cautious. Well...time to go play with my guns...[laugh]

Last edited:
Not trolling, it's true.

Long term exposure to used motor oil causes cancer in mice. Big Deal, You're not marinating in the stuff.

Gunpowder may cause cancer to, so lets all wrap ourselves in a Plastic bubble... oh no plastic can cause cancer too

Newflash, leading cause of death: Being alive

Leading cause of cancer: Living a long time.

Anything causes cancer in some people in very high doses over a long period of time. Most of us grew up in houses with lead paint and asbestos everywhere including on the toys and furniture we chewed on as kids. Yet by by some unknown miracle the vast majority of people manage to live complete lives. I'm so tired of people giving their little health/safety warning quips about everyday things.

THIS IS THE BEST STUFF FOR YOUR GUN:

457299.jpg

You can get it lots of places on line!!!

Read up on it here:

http://www.militec1.com/

Three heat cycles, and the metal in your gun is IMPREGNATED with lube!!!

It's all I use!

Oh, and ask any active duty service guy with a gun in Iraq or Afghanistan which they prefer..... CLP or Militec-1???

Not trolling, it's true.

Clean and oil your guns after each range session and you will be just fine.

1) Everything gives you cancer. I don't wear sunscreen, and I smoke. Oh, and I worked on an oil tanker and hooked up chicksans without gloves on all the time. A little motor oil is the least of my worries.

2) Every range session? I don't think I've cleaned or lubed either of my carry guns since I got them.

THIS IS THE BEST STUFF FOR YOUR GUN:

457299.jpg

You can get it lots of places on line!!!

Read up on it here:

http://www.militec1.com/

Three heat cycles, and the metal in your gun is IMPREGNATED with lube!!!

It's all I use!

Oh, and ask any active duty service guy with a gun in Iraq or Afghanistan which they prefer..... CLP or Militec-1???

Militec1 is a repackaged crackcase additive and provides very little rust protection

Is said crankcase additive sold in automotive supply houses under a specific name?

I'm not sure but Militec-1 also recommends using it on vehicles as well according to their website. http://www.militec1.com/

Militec-1 said:
A two-year test done by a major East-coast Mass Transit Authority showed incredible reductions in maintenance and associated costs when MILITEC-1 was applied to their busses. During the first one-year test period, 20.1% of the non-MILITEC-1 control group had engine problems. During that same period, only 12.7% of the MILITEC-1 group had engine problems. During the second one-year test period, 25.4% of the control group had engine problems, while only 13.8% of the MILITEC-1 group had engine problems.

The Mass Transit Authority estimated that if they had used MILITEC-1 on ALL the buses in their system, it would have saved them approximately $920,000.00 in maintenance, engine replacement, and associated costs.
[shocked]

Oxygen causes cancer.

Proof: 2 sets of mice, one gets Oxygen, one doesn't; the group that gets the oxygen will develop more cancer than the other group.

[wink]
Much more dangerous than that is dihydrogen oxide. Everyone who ingests dihydrogen oxide will eventually die!

The biggest problem I have with not cleaning is how much of a bitch it becomes to clean once it has a few hundred rounds through it. Once I get over 300 or so the barrel becomes a real pain in the ass to get really clean.

What BS! This stuff is snake oil.

I'm not sure about their claims for the automotive part of it, but I wouldn't call it snake oil. I use it on most of my guns and it works great. It makes the gun easier to clean after shooting as well.

I agree + 1000, there is no substiture for routine cleaning and oiling..

how you do it is up to you. Besides being overpriced.

I agree. There is no substitute for routine cleaning, oiling and maintenance.

Depending on the gun, I usually clean it right after a range trip. Sometimes I'll get lazy and wait a few days before I get a chance, other times I just want to see how many rounds I can run through before it fails. I like to test my tools and know their limits.

I wouldn't call the stuff overpriced. I payed $7.00 for 2 bottles over a year ago and still have plenty left. A little goes a long way.

if you clean your gun after each range trip, and subsequently oil it,

no residue with stick to it. see the sig video on cleaning and lube,,,

i think he mentions that in his video.

Since this got bumped...

I've been using grease on the sig and I don't mind it. It definitely does attract gunk but a good wipedown with a paper towel before actually cleaning anything with hoppes seems to do the job. It's probably a bit messier to clean but I do like that if I don't get the chance to clean the gun after a trip to the range I don't have much to worry about. 350rds or so on grease does not seem to be a big deal.

Using (a little) grease on the AK too now.

I may switch back to oil for a bit and see how i like it now that I gave grease a shot too.

Back
Top Bottom