Lubrication question: Glock vs Walther PPS

daveshrews

NES Member
I have a quick question about seemingly contradicting lubrication instructions for the Glock and the Walther PPS.

Take a look at this image: http://imgur.com/TOHa3.jpg

The Walther PPS manual clearly states to place a drop of oil in the hole pictured on the left. Contrarily, everything I've ever heard about Glocks says to NEVER put oil in the hole pictured on the right, which is seemingly the same hole. (which I believe leads to the firing pin channel?)

I have never oiled that part of my PPS, and have never had a malfunction. Should I start oiling it, as the instruction manual states? Does that have a different function (and therefore different lubrication requirements) than the Glock?

Thanks in advance, and I apologize if it's a stupid question. Brain no workey today.

Seriously? You are even asking this question?

Walther says do one thing
Glock says to do another

What the hell do they have in common? Nothing at all.

Why the hell would you even think that Walther's instructions had any bearing on a Glock or vice versa?

Do what the manual says for the gun that the manual is for!

That "hole" might not go to the same thing. The pin in the PPS might work differently than it does on a glock, too.

You could probably not lube either of them and not have it matter. I try to make sure the FP "button" on my Glocks will freely move up and down, though.

-Mike

Why the hell would you even think that Walther's instructions had any bearing on a Glock or vice versa?

Well... I asked because of the obvious similarities in the design and function of the two guns. I realize they are different and the holes probably go to different places, but I just wanted to double check and see if anyone else had any issues with leakage of oil into the firing pin channel. Just a question man.. simmer down there.

i'm pretty sure glocks will dissolve if any sort of lubricant or cleaning solution... [rofl2]

When they get dirty, I just throw them away and get a new one... [wink]

Generally speaking, unless they are idiots from whom you should not buy a gun, then you can be reasonable sure that the suggested care instructions won't damage the gun if followed. You can also be reasonably assured that if they took the time to warn against a particular action, then that means they saw some adverse result. Stop it...

Glock says to do another

The first four paragraphs of your response were unnecessary. Why did you even bother typing out such a negative reply?

Negative replies happen.

What, you've never had a bad day nhams? [wink]

Sure, I have bad days. But I don't take out my anger on fellow firearms enthusiasts.

A question in the firearms section about the mechanics of striker-fired pistols doesn't deserve the nasty reply that was given by MACGYVR.

EDIT: In order to add something constructive to this thread, I recommend that the OP call Glock (or Walther) tech support. After several calls to Glock tech support, the people on the other line seem to have a decent amount of knowledge about the pistols and are happy to discuss them.

Glock: 770-432-1202, ask for tech support

Last edited:

Glock says to do another

I'm gonna have to go with this

Back
Top Bottom